Cracks and Pops - which line filter ?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Cracks and Pops - which line filter ?

Post by dante »

A couple of months ago my PowerWare UPS (http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_08/ups_mast.htm) crapped out so I took it out of the circuit. After that I noticed a lot of crackles coming in from the mic, so I got this powerguard surge protector which I put on the mains outlet. It has reduced the crackles and pops but not eliminated them all. Anyone got a better idea / filter device ?

Powerguard
Powerguard
powerguard.jpg (143.57 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
Marco

Re: Cracks and Pops - which line filter ?

Post by Marco »

:D are you serious? These crackles dont come out of your socket. Check other sources, preamp? Etc..
I never used something like that!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dante

Post by dante »

Im serious because the cracks and pops happened immediately after I removed the UPS. Nothing else changed. I also bypassed the preamp and plugged the mic direct into the XITE-1D (balanced). Same problem.
valis

Post by valis »

That isn't really a high end device you have there. However what you are experiencing sounds like it's a ground issue, try a Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter. They're useful to have even if it doesn't solve this issue.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

valis wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:44 am That isn't really a high end device you have there. However what you are experiencing sounds like it's a ground issue, try a Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter. They're useful to have even if it doesn't solve this issue.
I agree ! It might be a ground loop somewhere. If the Valis Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter contains a simple 1:1 voltage transformer, the guy on this video says it's a protection against ground loops, so there is a voltage transformer inside, it should do the job.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/E1GRxiUsK4S.mp4
Indeed, your powerguard notebook protector charge all doesn't seem to have a transformer inside that will electrically isolate completly the output of the filter from its input, so no ground loop can appear.
If you still have crackles after adding a filter with a transfomer inside ... it'll mean that it's not a ground loop issue... :D Tell us what result you get !

Just check the voltage, I don't know in Australia, 110v ? 230~240v like in Europe ? And the power in Watt and whoose the appropriate filter ! :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Valis posted a useful link not so long ago re power related noise. Not sure if you saw that already but if not it's worth a read. Hope you get your issue sorted.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/power/p2/power_2.htm
valis

Post by valis »

^^ that too! Thanks for the reminder.
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah we are 240V here - so I would have to run it through a converter - which might not work. Will look for something Australian first before going down that route. I may be able to use the specs from the EbTech to find a match here though.

Theres https://www.swamp.net.au/hum-eliminator/ here is Aus - the ART DTI 2 https://www.swamp.net.au/ground-isolator - seems to work on the Mic only, whereas something that works on the mains might be better for the whole setup ?

Thanks Valis.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

i know this from the old days, the fault was the missing cooling of affected systems,
when cooling improved, the crackle was gone
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
dante

Post by dante »

So ground loop isolation fixes crackles and pops as well as ground loop hum ? I don't get hum - just the crackles and pops.

Im looking at this at the moment : https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/product/smart-duo/ which has EMI/RFI noise filtration. Would this do the trick ?
valis

Post by valis »

That might be comparable to the Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter from looking, but obviously I haven't tried it.

Also, the only way to KNOW the source of the issue is to walk both the power chain and audio chain. It could be you have something that is balanced on one end connected to an unbalanced device that isn't grounded (no ground plug) or just not grounded well enough. Or it could be a great number of things. I would never state categorically that something will work based off of a forum post alone, you have to walk the chain and troubleshoot. And by chain I mean each device connected in turn.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes those two filters are certainly comparable. And yes, a ground loop noise is a continuous hum, normally. But since you already added a filter without a transformer, I don't see what could produce the crackles and pops.

And SURE, you MUST buy a converter that is made for working in Australia : 240v and at least 700W (or 700VA) !

A simple 240v/240v - 700VA (at least) isolation transformer will do the job... But without being sure it's a ground loop issue... :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Dante, could you maybe post up a small clip of the crackling popping sound you are getting. Perhaps someone might have had a similar experience and have an idea of what it might be. But yes as Valis states the best thing is try and start from the power input and work forwards from there. Best of luck mate.
garyb

Post by garyb »

is the building wired and grounded properly?
if it is, you don't need such fixes. if it isn't you will chase your tail forever...
dante

Post by dante »

@gary - no idea about the building grounding. However, this little THOR baby did the trick for $109 - mic signal clean as a crystal in space.
thor
thor
thor.png (360.24 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

ooooooooooook.

if it works, it works.
dante

Post by dante »

Well Ill tell you something else weird. My last 2 DAW's have both been ASUS mobos. Every time I booted them up, they would go into BIOS - not boot straight to windows. Then when I got to Windows the date/time was not up to date.

I couldn't figure it out - why those 2 mobos both had the same issue.

Since getting rid of the UPS - that doesn't happen any more. The computer boots straight to windows. Its like the UPS was underpowering the boot up - forcing me to F1 into BIOS and/or effecting the storage of the correct date in BOIS - go figure.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Good to hear you got it sorted out :)
valis

Post by valis »

=]
spacef

Post by spacef »

i have the same problem for a few weeks now. the back ups is dead (apc pro-1500, 5 or 6 years old only).... I can't record anything without clicks and static spike noises now... What would you recommend ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website