Configuration problems in Win 7 SC 7

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Configuration problems in Win 7 SC 7

Post by Nestor »

I have tried to configure my friend's system through TeamViewer, but no luck so far... I can't understand what's going on, even if I have a similar system myself. I know the problem must be something silly, but…

He has a Pulsar II with Scope 7, in a 64bit Win 7 system, 16GB of Ram, his C drive is in a SSD, fast drive.
He is in Mexico, so he only speaks Spanish, not a word of English.

Would anyone give us a hand? It would be ideal to get into his system through TeamViewer so to give us some directions about how to solve the problems encountered. From then and on, I should be able to carry on myself and fix the problem easily.

The problem is, basically, a configuration and routing problem. I don’t see any wrongs with Pulsar itself or with the system. It is probably something my friend should disable in the BIOS. He has a GA-H97M-DS3P.
Thank you
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Ripper

Re: Configuration problems in Win 7 SC 7

Post by Ripper »

What is the issue you are dealing with? No sound?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, there is sound, but with stutters and bizarre artifacts coming and going. I think it could be that the system is right now set up with a mixture of sound sources, one source would be coming from the motherboard and the other from Pulsar. I think they are mixed in some way. I asked my friend to disable the motherboard sound module, he did in the BIOS, but we still have problems. Pulsar it is supposed to be the only sound device available right now. I honestly, don't understand what is going on. I don’t have any starting point to guess where to go, I have been away from building systems for too long I guess.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Of course, I forgot we had this great thread with many answers and tips. Thank you, I will review all of it and see if I can fix it with this info. Cheers :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

hopefully it's just setup stuff.
the most important points in that posting are also in the .pdf letter that accompanies v7.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

How does it look?

Attachments
IRQs.png
IRQs.png (128.45 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

that should be ok.

system information is easier to read...(how to get there is in the link).

most importantly, is EIST and Hyperthreading turned off?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hello there guys.

Thank you for your guidance. Well, we did all the changes in the BIOS and others changes that are needed in power management, etc., everything fine in that respect.

Now, when it comes to the outputs, they don’t work correctly. We tried different drivers, ASIO among them, but there are noises and unusual behaviors in Wavelab and other recording software.
There is also a problem to communicate through Skype, we could not understand why we cannot configure the outputs as well, there is no sound. I mean, he can hear me, but I cannot hear him.

Something is wrong, but after several hours trying to find it out, I am out of imagination…
garyb

Post by garyb »

in 64bit, wave drivers suffer random pops.
in 64bit, wave driver inputs don't work. for Skype, use the built-in audio's mic input.
these are known issues.

wavelab needs a patch. this is pretty well-known as well. steinberg made the patch years ago. it is attached.

ASIO should be clean. if it's not, then there is probably a setup issue related to power saving(EIST, etc), or a software issue, or an overloaded or overheated processor. this should not be tricky.
AsioScope_wavelab_patch_PCI_and_XITE.zip
(435 Bytes) Downloaded 142 times
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, I have been such a long time with a super stable system myself that I haven't had the need to even think about these problems. I didn't know there were problems with the drivers in 64bit, I did not have any myself...

Gary, when you say: “in 64bit, wave driver inputs don't work”, you mean you cannot record an instrument or mikes through them? I have 64 bits and I have none of these problems. Pulsar would be useless for people if it was so. I can record with a perfect sound, so I’m confused, you are probably talking about something more specific than what I am understanding, for sure, can you explain me what you mean exactly?

I will apply the wavelab patch you gave me and check all the other posibilities you mention as well. Thank you so very much!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the wave driver inputs have NEVER worked in 64bit. they don't work in your computer either. :)

ASIO drivers DO work, so the cards are far from useless, unless you want to use them for something they weren't designed for, like Skype.

the next release of Scope should have this issue fixed.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

There must be something conceptually wrong in my understanding of your words Gary, because I can use wave drivers in 64 bits in Win 7. Look at this project please, the one I am posting here, I know I will be ashamed for your explanations by the end of this thread, :lol: but I want to understand what is going on, it must be something really silly. Here you have:

garyb

Post by garyb »

wave drivers do PLAY BACK in 64bit, but they do suffer random pops.

wave drivers do not RECORD in 64bit.

if you are able to record to your wave destination in 64bit, congratulations! you are probably the only person who can say that.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I almost never have pops in my play back through wave drivers, fortunately

Yes, I record into ASIO, you're right
valis

Post by valis »

I stopped using the WAVE drivers in 2002 and never looked back. Having the system audio come up on the internal sound card solves numerous workflow issues, and keeps Scope work-focused imo
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Would you please show me one of your projects for basic working to see how you connect things in this way Valis?
garyb

Post by garyb »

he just uses the built-in audio for Windows sounds. it has nothing to do with Scope.
valis

Post by valis »

Exactly. Onboard sound connects directly to an analog mixer, as does Scope. Scope also connects to a few machines via ADAT, AES & Spdif (and midi) and sits at the center digitally, the analog mixer is at the center...analogically.. (is that a thing?) Also it's worth mentioning that I use more computers now than I have any reasonable right to. That helps me spread out my workload as well.

In the WinXP era this was a huge advantage because any sound in windows (web browser, system sounds etc) could cause your samplerate clock to shift for many soundcards (though not scope, in that case you would just hear crackles or things playing at twice the audio rate etc). It also means that I don't have to worry about things like ULLI setting & DSP load affecting a quick reference in a youtube video.

If you really want me to update my routing diagrams for my studio to current status, I will do so. GIve me a few days at most =]
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:51 pm he just uses the built-in audio for Windows sounds. it has nothing to do with Scope.
Sure, this is what I do too, but I thought there could be something new that I could do for my friend's system.

We need to install Realtech, just like I have, and do the skype and other similar things throuth it.