Timeworks Mastercomp phase issue?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Timeworks Mastercomp phase issue?

Post by Music Manic »

Hi guys

I've been using the Timeworks Mastercomp for years now but realised that there may be a slight phase issue.

I have the plugin inserted on the Master Insert of my STM 2448. I played just the stereo signal of a stereo source through it and Mono'd the Master output. There was still a signal coming through. I disabled the plugin and the sound cancelled out as it should do.

I will try and test it by using phase compensation to see if its anything to do with the mixer or even the CPU.

If anyone could test it I'd be happy to see if it is recreated.

It's not a problem but just a small niggle.

Thanks
Music Manic

Re: Timeworks Mastercomp phase issue?

Post by Music Manic »

Seems fine on a minimal project. Must've been the CPU load.
valis

Post by valis »

Not CPU load, DSP load.

I think Timeworks was mostly done with their devices by the time this was added. I recall at the time there was a bit of a falling out with Creamware over issues that are long gone, but given that Timeworks didn't last many years longer themselves I would consider this water under the bridge. Brainworx came along with devices that I think were much higher quality anyway. Of course this is beyond the bounds of what you're discussing, so...

The 'phase compensation' to lock devices to a single dsp wasn't added until later in the platform (can't recall if 3.1 or 4 was the first, but 3rd party devs slowly came online with this too). The reason that the dsp load is shifted around the dsps is so that more devices can be loaded, but sadly this is where phase issues come in with large devices or heavy projects. The upshot is that with devices that offer the choice, you can choose how important it is for portions of your workflow.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks for the info. I’ve always gone to the timeworks one because it acts like a buss master and give a very clean and stable gain. Are there any other types of master compressors for Scope? Working in the Scope/Pulsar environment has an edge over daws for me when it come to the mix down.

Any more info is welcome.
RA

Post by RA »

There is no such thing as a 'slight' phase issue. Phase issues are very serious and imho render a plugin useless! One has to be able to trust gear! Left and right should be always phase coherent to eachother. Now i dont know how you tested....but two identical signals (mono), of which one is inverted in phase, summed together should give no output. Further more the flag 'load on one dsp' shouldnt be used for a whole plugin is my advice. Test the plug thouroughly and if programmed well it will perform consistent regardless big or small project. If not...dont use it!

This is one of the issues i take a lot of care in...making stereo devices phase coherent and thus consistent in performance and thus delivering the same sound each time it is loaded. Why not demo the dNa-mastercomp....or check the loyalty gift's dna-multicomp. Both are excelent buss or master compressors. There are some user reviews of those devices also here on planetz. But best to demo plugins. All info is on the dna website.
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

I have bought most dNa plugins including those, so I'll have a look. I need the time to get to try them all.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I was very pleased with the STW MasterComp, but after adding SAW Studio's Levelizer to my workflow never used it again.
(MasterComp is quite a DSP hog in softknee mode and I couldn't tell the difference anyway)
Anwida Soft's L1V is an even better performer in THD figures, which are practically non-existent.
http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=14
For 69 bucks it's a 3-dial no-brainer, seriously :D
dante

Post by dante »

Music Manic wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 pm I've been using the Timeworks Mastercomp for years now but realised that there may be a slight phase issue. I have the plugin inserted on the Master Insert of my STM 2448. I played just the stereo signal of a stereo source through it and Mono'd the Master output. There was still a signal coming through. I disabled the plugin and the sound cancelled out as it should do.
HAve you checked other plugins on the Master Insert of STM ? From memory, theres a phase issue (1 cycle delay) on the AUX send/return of the STM, which is one of the things DAS addressed when making their XITED mixer and the ScopeRise mixer.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

dante wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

HAve you checked other plugins on the Master Insert of STM ? From memory, theres a phase issue (1 cycle delay) on the AUX send/return of the STM, which is one of the things DAS addressed when making their XITED mixer and the ScopeRise mixer.
I knew there was phase issues between different groups of tracks within Scope’s STM mixer but I didn’t know about the Aux issue.
I also have SpaceF’s mixers but haven’t really tested them. I also know Wolf made one a while back too.

Thanks for info