Reaper - no signal when rendering

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

geiger

Reaper - no signal when rendering

Post by geiger »

Hello! I am using reainstert vst on the master track in Reaper, I have sound.. signal.. vu meters of the master track show signal, I can hear the Scope VST through which I am sending and returning, all works fine, except that when I try rendering with the reainstert vst on the master track of reaper, it is 0 signal.. even though I hear everything ok.

Picture attached.. I have the reainstert vst sends and returns on channels 7 and 8 for the dna stereo comp.

Thank you!

Adrian
Attachments
32945190_1769931799732320_4090309437170909184_n.jpg
32945190_1769931799732320_4090309437170909184_n.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 4038 times
garyb

Re: Reaper - no signal when rendering

Post by garyb »

Scope plugins are not processed by the PC. if you render offline, how can the computer know what is happening on the card?
to make this work, you would need to do a real time render, or better yet, just record the mix into a new stereo track.
geiger

Post by geiger »

:( I feel lost.. I tried to send all tracks to a new one.. the same result.. any other hints or drawings for the stupid?
garyb

Post by garyb »

ASIO out(source) to Scope mixer. send mix out to ASIO in(destination).

make a new stereo track input stereo ASIO 1-2, arm the track. press record.
geiger

Post by geiger »

Thank you for the reply. I am still struggling with this.. I am trying to use Reainsert (vst to send and receive from external devices) to send from some of the tracks recorded in Reaper to some of the Scope VSTs. On the guitar track I want to try Vinco because it brings out very nice round and sweet harmonics (at least to my ears).. on one of the drum tracks I want to use the Master Verb Classic and so on.. after that I need them all back in Reaper and on the master track to have the dNa Stereo Compressor. All of them sound good in that way that I put them, just that no sound on rendering.. I tried your advice to create a new track and record using it.. the sound there does not seem to have enough volume nor that it goes through the Scope VSTs... help!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you need to think about what you are trying to do. exactly what audio are you trying to record? you want to send that audio to a stereo track in Reaper.

the main mix out of the Reaper mixer is probably what you want to record, what ASIO outputs do you send that to?

whatever output that is, connect it to the ASIO destination's open pair of inputs. make that ASIO channel the input of the stereo track that you are trying to record. be sure that monitoring of that track is off in Reaper. it will record exactly the level coming out of Reaper. this is one thing that is useful about a mixer like the STM 2448.since it has a control room out and a mix out, you can turn down your monitors without turning down the recording.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

geiger wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 pm Scope VSTs...
1st ... you might have a routing problem in Reaper, but we cannot see here when you show just only the SCOPE environment screenshot.

In addition, your description is irritating.
A "VST" is a DLL-file.
SCOPE VSTs are only in use when you use XTC mode, otherweise they are SCOPE devices.
Both the usage of SCOPE standalone and XTC mode require different routings/projects.
I´ve read your posts above, but for me, it´s not clear what you´re really doing or trying to achieve.

You should tell the forumites more,- which Reaper version you´re using and which SCOPE (v5.1 or v7) ...

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
geiger

Post by geiger »

Thank you for the advice, Gary. I will need to get familiarized with that STM 2448 and its functionalities. It seems to be different from the 1632.. I never used a control room. I used very simple environments, and even my Reaper projects are not complex.. I never created BUS tracks or used routing to access external devices. Suddenly it hit me to do so.. I had no Master track recorded.. I just recorded the tracks individually and at the end, render.. aaaand that is how I obtained a song. It is plain stupid and wrong and I need to get more professional about this, and this is what I am trying to do now: to establish a very good studio environment and to get as complex as possible while keeping the things very simple and efficient.
Bud, sorry for irritating with my way of expressing the things, for me, the Scope devices act like the plugins and that is why I described things like that.
I am using Scope V7 for the old PCI cards (Pulsar, Luna..) and Reaper 5.33. What I was trying to record was indeed the master track that would have been the mix of all the tracks after they get routed through the Scope plugins.
I was sending the Master track of Reaper through channels 7 and 8 to the dNa StereoComp and getting things back through that again since on top of it I had also some other VSTs in Reaper. It sounds good, but I am not doing things right. I attached a picture of the master fx here.. I did this with all the tracks that use the routing through Scope plugins using their associated asio in and outs. Still trying things here. Thank you!
Attachments
master.jpg
master.jpg (378.43 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

books in the library about traditional(hardware) recording techniques and practices would help you a lot.

it's all about watching the signal flow. the important thing is to record and monitor the END of the signal chain.
geiger

Post by geiger »

I made it as you recommended me, Gary. I now have a very easy way to record the master track in Reaper. Now I am trying to go one step further and use the 2448 mixer and I dont know why my aux send is not working. It shows nothing on vu meters or in the Scope plugings in which I try to insert.
Any idea?
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is an aux page which has switches that can be set for internal or external auxes. they're set for external.

you should use the devices that you put into the aux bus externally, anyway. just wire them as you would a hardware mixer. aux to device to channel or return channel...

be sure that the aux send on the mixer channel that you want to use is enabled(green led showing) and then you can raise the send and it should work. check the 2448 manual as well....