Python Pro 1.02 on Scope 7 - Does anyone have this device working ok?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

Python Pro 1.02 on Scope 7 - Does anyone have this device working ok?

Post by t_tangent »

I just transferred some devices over to my main Scope Pro PCI card from a Pulsar II, and one of the devices was the Zarg Music Python Pro v1.02

I checked SC website for the latest version which is v1.02 and activated it ok. But I am having a problem trying to figure out if it is working as it should. I loaded up the presets from the included pre file, but I cant trigger hardly any of them from my keyboard. Midi channel is set correctly and I have double checked by loading up other device which play fine.

I realise the Python Pro is a parculiar device and requires reading the manual, which I have now started to do. I can get some sound out of it by going to the main tab and selecting EG2 on the OP1 or OP2 column. But it seems like some of the routing might is broken, and I cant figure out why I cant play any sound from my keyboard input. Hardly any presets seem to make any sound and those that do are just a single drone type sound.

I guess I will have to email John Bowen to ask about this but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Marco

Re: Python Pro 1.02 on Scope 7 - Does anyone have this device working ok?

Post by Marco »

Mine works
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Sounds like an associated file (dsp, etc) is missing?
garyb

Post by garyb »

t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I opened up my older Scope 5.1 32 bit partition, and copied Python Pro device to devices directory, and when I loaded it up in Scope 5.1 routing window, it works fine. All presets work and play from the keyboard (fantastic sounding device btw)

But checking again on my Scope 7 64 bit partition, it doesnt work correctly and I am getting no sound out of most prests and those that do produce a sound are definitely not the way it is supposed to sound.

Marco, please can you confirm that Python Pro is working on Scope 7 on Windows 7 64 bit OS? Thanks

jksuperstar, I dont think it is a missing dsp. I backed up my Scope 7 dir, then moved all the dsp from Scope 5.1 32bit partition over and loaded up Scope 7 again just to check Python Pro, but same thing, no sound or single drone sound. Then I closed Scope 7 and tried overwriting all dsp from a zipped backup of my older Scope 5.1 64 bit, but same thing. So I am wondering if it is another type of file that is required or has been changed from Scope 5.1, so I will next try reinstalling Scope 5.1 partition and see if it works on there.

Gary, yes I installed the dev and pre files from that link. The only other files in zarg_python_pro_v1.0.2.zip are for the manual. But like I said, it works fine on Scope 5.1 32 bit, but not on Scope 7 64 bit, at least not here. Hopefully Marco can confirm what version Scope and OS he is using.

If not I will post a bug report
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 am all the files are here:
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... bowen_zarg
Sorry for chiming in here,- but I tried to find that device on ZARG website and it seems it´s discontinued as there aren´t any audio demos, screenshots etc..
I don´t know that device but when I googled, I read it´s 2 FM OSCs.
I´d really like to see and hear that device.

Do any other/later ZARG devices do the same ?

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ok, I just plugged in my older hard drive with Scope 5.1 64 bit on Windows 7 Pro 64 and it works fine on there.

So I guess this is one for the bug report as well, so I will email support.

Edit,

Hi Bud, just saw your post as I sent this. Yes its no longer on Zarg website, and very little info there other than a few comments saying how good it sounded and was a quite unique design.

It is based on the Python modular patch, and John Bowen assisted the original patch creator to implement it as a device. There is some info here by astroman

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30123

and the link to the modular patch and some history of the synth by JB here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14556

I havent seen and sound demos anywhere but if I can find a moment I will try to do a few. I havent had time to compare it against the modular patch yet either, but if this device isnt working in Scope 7 then the patch might be the only way to go. I will email JB about some renewed interest in the device though and see if he has any more info in his archives, and a possible fix for the device. :)

As far as other devices that can do simil\ar sounds, perhaps Solaris is the only one I can think of, and modular of course.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I'd be interested in this synth too - forgot all about it.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ok, I got it working now. Here's a weird one for you. I was going to try and see if I could get Python Pro to work by temporarily swapping over some dsp files and a few other files from the Scope PCI 5.1 64 bit backup I made before upgrading to Scope 7, but before I did so I thought I would make my project smaller so it could load up quicker between tests. I removed STM 2448 mixer from the routing window and loaded up the dynamic mixer. Then I thought seeing as I had Python Pro already in the routing window I would quickly check it once more......and BINGO. I got sound from it. So to double check this I closed Scope once more before saving that project and reopened my default project, loaded up Python Pro, and once again no sound. So this time I removed STM mixer again and reloaded it, connected all the routing as before, and Python Pro worked again. All presets sound as they should. And yes, what a great sounding device this is. So I saved the project as my default, closed Scope and reopened it a few times to check and yes it is working fine. The strange thing is that all my other synth devices played just fine in that older default project, so why didnt Python Pro like that older project. Oh, the myserious ways of computers. But yes its all good, and Python Pro WORKS in Scope 7 PCI 64 bit, probably also on 32 bit. I dont know if it works on XITE as I only have a license for PCI, but perhaps someone here can confirm that.

Mr Arkadin. Yeah I will email John and Holger to see if they might be able to make this available again, or we might also have to speak to the original designer behind it, Paul van der Valk to see if that is possible. . Might be worth a shot.

I will try to make some demo sounds of it in the next few days, nothing too technical as my keyboad skills dont allow for that sadly. But I will try.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, and at least I learned something new...if something doesnt work, just try removing and reloading the mixer. Weird or what!!! :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

congrats for making it sound again :)
Python is a favourite of mine, though I don't play much synths atm - it's stunning what this 'simple' architecture can create.
It's based on that Modular patch, but in real life (handling) both have few to nothing in common.
At least I never got anything comparable out of the Modular patch - John did an amazing job here.

cheers, Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:03 am

Hi Bud, just saw your post as I sent this. Yes its no longer on Zarg website, and very little info there other than a few comments saying how good it sounded and was a quite unique design.

It is based on the Python modular patch, and John Bowen assisted the original patch creator to implement it as a device. There is some info here by astroman

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30123

and the link to the modular patch and some history of the synth by JB here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14556

I havent seen and sound demos anywhere but if I can find a moment I will try to do a few. I havent had time to compare it against the modular patch yet either, but if this device isnt working in Scope 7 then the patch might be the only way to go. I will email JB about some renewed interest in the device though and see if he has any more info in his archives, and a possible fix for the device. :)

As far as other devices that can do simil\ar sounds, perhaps Solaris is the only one I can think of, and modular of course.
Thank you very much !
After I followed those links now and read some more, I´d like to have that "Python Pro" device in my arsenal.

Bud
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks astroman,

Yes when I tried it out on Scope 5.1 and heard how it sounded, I couldnt help but spend the better part of a day trying to get this working on my Scope 7 setup. Luckily perseverence paid off this time, and even better that it wasnt an actual fault of Scope but rather some strange issue with my old project. Been trying it out for the last hour now, and it has some gorgeous patches, so yes I will have to try and get to gtips with this one, as I missed out on it when it first came out. As they say, all's well that ends well. :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

My pleasure Bud :) Actually I have just emaied Holger to thank him and Gary for some help, and while I was writing I said there may be some renewed interest in this synth and asked him if it might be possible to get this device reinstated, but I think first John Bowen will also need to be asked and possibly the original designer Paul. I would think it also needs to be confirmed if it works on XITE, but I dont see why it shouldn't. Anyway, if I find out any more I will let you know, or perhaps Gary might be the one to ask about this. I will drop Gary an email as well to see what he thinks. :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm I would think it also needs to be confirmed if it works on XITE, but I dont see why it shouldn't.
Well, I´d have the option using devices on XITE or PCI or both.
With SCOPE 5.1,- I prefered using only the "small" ZARG devices on XITE-1,- incl. CombPlusPro,- which is also a discontinued one.
I bought v7 for XITE and PCI but didn´t install,- still waiting for v7.1.
No special reason for that, but that´s what I always do when .0 versions have been released,- may it be SCOPE, Phead Reason or whatelse.

t_tangent wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm Anyway, if I find out any more I will let you know, ...
thx !

Bud

P.S.:

Was Python Pro DSP and SAT connection hungry like Solaris v5, Quantumwave and RotorEX were/are ?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Marco, please can you confirm that Python Pro is working on Scope 7 on Windows 7 64 bit OS? Thanks

It works on scope 5, havent tried 7 yet
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Marco,

Thanks. But are you using it on PCI or XITE. Yes also working here now on Scope 7 as stated in above posts.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 pm
Was Python Pro DSP and SAT connection hungry like Solaris v5, Quantumwave and RotorEX were/are ?
Hi Bud,

That I am not too sure about, and I think only those who have it licenced to XITE can verify this.

But I noticed that when set to 1 voice it changes presets pretty quicky but if change to 10 voices it takes a little bit longer to reset between presets, maybe up to a couple of seconds on some. But I cant say for sure if it is SAT hungry. I will ask John when I email him. Just holding off emailing him at the moment while I make a final decision on whether to purchase the Solaris hardware keyboard.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ok, I just took some printout of the DSP load.

First, routing window empty, no modules loaded at all.
DSP load pre Python Pro.jpg
DSP load pre Python Pro.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Next, just loaded up Python Pro, by default set to 1 voice
DSP load Python Pro 1 voice.jpg
DSP load Python Pro 1 voice.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Then I changed number of voices to 10
DSP load Python Pro 10 voices.jpg
DSP load Python Pro 10 voices.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
This doesnt look too bad at all
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Just to compare this against Solaris v5

Solaris loaded into empty routing window. By default Solaris loads with 2 voices
DSP load Solaris 2 voices.jpg
DSP load Solaris 2 voices.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
And finally, Solaris with 10 voices

Took about 15-20 seconds to adjust dsp load
DSP load Solaris 10 voices.jpg
DSP load Solaris 10 voices.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
So you can see, there is quite a big difference in usage between the Python Pro and Solaris, and comparatively, I think Python Pro is quite light on DSP load

N.B. Tested on on Scope 7 PCI 64 bit , with 3 x Scope Pro cards
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ok, just a couple of short demo riffs to get you started. Nothing added apart from some reverb, but can do some dry demos if you prefer

1 is Acoustic Guitar
2 is Breathy Flute

Rendered down to mp3 and zipped up here, but again I can do some lossless conversions in you want.

Will try to do some more when I have time, but hope that gives you an idea of the physical modelling kind of sound.
Python Pro Demos.rar
(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 135 times