Python Pro 1.02 on Scope 7 - Does anyone have this device working ok?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Re: Python Pro 1.02 on Scope 7 - Does anyone have this device working ok?

Post by Marco »

:o hey Mr. Tangent! You have 45 DSPs! Me too, hardcore User. Your my brother, haha
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

LOL, yes. I figured they were worth keeping hold of even after I bought the XITE-1, and with their extra I/O I use the ADATs on one of the cards to connect to the XITE, and the other cards are connected via Z-link to the A16U's. Yup, "Scope 45ers" rule, haha :)
Marco

Post by Marco »

:o I have 3 A16 connected, means 60 Ins and 60 outs!

Now you are a lucky man having 45 DSPs with 3 pci and the xite. I can ask you : does your xite have the double Power of the 45 DSPs?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I would rather not comment on this too much as it would be better expressed by someone with more knowledge that myself. But as a Scope user with both PCI & XITE, I feel that they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. 3 x Scope Pro cards running together are very powerful and have the advantage of running a few of the large third party devices that require more internal DSP connections, Zarg Solaris as an example, but you have to remember those were designed On and For the PCI platform. Another advantage of running several PCI cards together is the increased I/O. It would be great if SC get some kind of external adapter made for the XTDM socket on the back of the XITE, such as a MADI connector, but until they do I find the extra connections from the 3 PCI cards really useful, so they still have a place in my studio.

One also has to remember that Scope PCI cards are no longer manufactured. They are discontinued products. XITE is the current product line, and a very powerful unit in its own right. One distinct advantage is its portability, and along with just a laptop it is relatively easy to take 'on the road'. I guess fellow users like Dawman can testify to that when playing gigs. I would suggest it is also where future development sits with upcoming updates etc. For example with Scope 7 I have noticed a dramatic improvement on dsp allocation when loading devices on XITE projects, and hopefully with the upcoming 7.1 update some of the other known issues will be sorted out.

So in theory, yes the XITE is more powerful than the PCI cards, but I think performance also depends on other variables, such as the chipset and architecture of the motherboard that is hosting them. This applies to both the older PCI cards and the newer XITE. And at the end of the day I would say that both have their own particular pros and cons, and I am glad that I can run both the XITE and PCI cards together in one DAW.

Would love to hear opinions from other users on this with more authority on the subject than myself. And please feel free to correct any errors I have made. :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I'm also interested in Python. Does anyone have a screen shot?

yup Xite + PCI gets you the most out of scope. My 3 PCI cards are on a Win10 32bit machine with 26 DSP's. I use it mostly where the Xite 64bit has fallen short: STS, Zarg, Sequencers
astroman

Post by astroman »

A screenshot doesn't help much because the architecture isn't self explaining in any way by it's graphic representation.
It's worth checking the html manual (included in the download on SonicCores site, linked on previous page)
Without the manual you're totally lost - succeeding by trial & error is close to impossible with this synth.
That doesn't mean it's difficult to handle, but control features and signal path are just very (!) unusual.

Looks like this little masterpiece get's it's well deserved honour late, but at least it get's some :D
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 am
Looks like this little masterpiece get's it's well deserved honour late, but at least it get's some :D
I listened to the mp3 demos meanwhile ...
That´s a really nice sounding device !

What did it cost when it was available ?

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Bud, yes Python Pro does sound great. Unfortunately I dont know what it cost originally. But I did email Holger and John. John said that he would have a look for the files, and Holger said he will check for updates, which I think means that he will check to see if it works ok on XITE. But I can't say for sure when that will happen or if it is possible, so I guess if anyone really wants to get Python Pro then perhaps contact SC support and let them know you are interested. Or else look out for a second hand Scope card with the licence for it if one comes up for sale. Sorry I couldnt give you any better info. But I will try to make some more demos when I can, as I've been preocuppied with other family stuff here lately.

Also, while checking out a few forums for more info on the John Bowen Solaris keyboard which I am seriously considering, I have also been completely sidetracked by another gem of a synth recently, a VSTi called Tranzistow and its little brother Diodow. These are incredible sounding synths, but especially Tranzistow. I dont want to take focus away from this thread so I will open another thread in the Off Topic section when I can, but just to say I dont know how in the hell I have never come across this VSTi before, it's simply outstanding, and in just the last 2 days alone Tranzistow has become a firm favourite soft synth, possibly the best I have ever heard. Tranzistow itself is a demo version with a few limitations, although there are a couple of ways to get the full version, but its smaller sibling Diodow is a fully working but lighter revision. Anyway, I URGE you to check it out. http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwerk/tranzistow.htm
Even a nice comment about it from JB on their website saying how impressed he was. :)

Cheers for now
astroman

Post by astroman »

iirc it was 99 bucks, maybe 149 but definitely less than 200.
@t_tangent nice you asked and even nicer that John wanted to have a look at it again.
I wouldn't expect major problems because it's basically an optimized Modular patch architecture.
On the other hand I'm totally puzzled by the difference in both versions, which is likely due to the fx/feedback engine.
It's complex, but the manual is very clear about it.

This feedback thing seems the main reason for it's outstanding sounds - it's extremely sensitive, tho and may flip to ear-piercing levels within a second. The manual warns about this feature.
A nice aspect of this fx engine: it can perfectly fake dub tape echoes.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

t_tangent wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm Also, while checking out a few forums for more info on the John Bowen Solaris keyboard which I am seriously considering, I have also been completely sidetracked by another gem of a synth recently, a VSTi called Tranzistow and its little brother Diodow. These are incredible sounding synths, but especially Tranzistow. I dont want to take focus away from this thread so I will open another thread in the Off Topic section when I can, but just to say I dont know how in the hell I have never come across this VSTi before, it's simply outstanding, and in just the last 2 days alone Tranzistow has become a firm favourite soft synth, possibly the best I have ever heard. Tranzistow itself is a demo version with a few limitations, although there are a couple of ways to get the full version, but its smaller sibling Diodow is a fully working but lighter revision. Anyway, I URGE you to check it out. http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwerk/tranzistow.htm
Even a nice comment about it from JB on their website saying how impressed he was. :)

Cheers for now
Seen that before. However good it sounds though, that Matrix-meets-Excel spreadsheet GUI is not going to win many over, certainly not me.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm ... that Matrix-meets-Excel spreadsheet GUI is not going to win many over, certainly not me.
Same here, I get eye-cancer from that GUI !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
petal

Post by petal »

The Python Pro was sold for $199 back in 2003:
https://web.archive.org/web/20041205180 ... ctcatalog/

I found an old demo version I had lying around and can confirm that it seems to work on the XITE running Scope 7.0, Windows 7 64 bit.

I would like to share it with you guys, but now that both Holger and John are involved I find it more prudent to see what they cook up for us :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the info astroman and petal. Its good to know that the demo of Python Pro seems to work on XITE Scope 64 bit. Could you email Holger and let him know. I am happy to do that but I think if you do, Holger might see that there are others interested in getting Python Pro as well, and perhaps you could also ask him if its ok to share the demo version. Up to you, but I think the others would appreciate it :)
Last edited by t_tangent on Tue May 01, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Regarding the Tranzistor and Diodow VSTi
Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:42 pm
Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm ... that Matrix-meets-Excel spreadsheet GUI is not going to win many over, certainly not me.
Same here, I get eye-cancer from that GUI !

Bud
Yes I agree that the GUI is quite difficult to get on with, but after reading the pdf guide and some posts on another forum the dev explains why he made it that way, and I found you can make this a little easier on the eyes by creating an ini dev and changing the colour scheme, as well as a whole bunch of other hidden features. Also the dev does state that he created this device to suit his own requirements, so I think it's just good of him to make it available and I'm prepared to overlook the gui for the great sound creating potential that is "under the hood". It's certainly worth a try I think :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

To be honest, life's too short now and I don't have time for 'exploring' hidden depths. If I can't get something working how I want it in five minutes it will probably never get used again.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Fair enough, I totally see where you are coming from. I guess I have some masochistic tendancy, but I hate when something gets the better of me, and I get into this kind of "Terrier" mode and cant let something go until I can try to figure it out. But sure, it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things :)
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have the phyton, and it is not my favorite.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Further to my earlier post in April where I mentioned the excellent Tranzisow VSTi by HrastProgrammer, I just discovered that Hrast will be joining the development team for John Bowen Solaris. http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=23131

So thought it might be worth bringing Tranzistow to attention again in case anyone missed this post, and also the interesting future ahead for Solaris. :)