Mix to file

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

Mix to file

Post by Ricardo »

Hi All
Anyone know why if I mix down to a track in Sam pro via the scope track busses it comes out less clear than if I mix direct to file in Sam. By that I mean a bit darker and woolier in the lo mids to lo frequencies. Is it a summing thing? i have say 16 tracks in Sam routed to individual tracks in Scope, then mix down via say buss 1 and 2 to Sam again. I've tried with no effects in the master buss, and I've also tried going to Sam via the L and R outputs on the mixer.
I'l do some more investigating but any thoughts?
Thanks
R
garyb

Re: Mix to file

Post by garyb »

i don't know, but maybe a phase thing? gain issues?

i do NOT get a better result from a bounce than a mixdown, ever. ymmv.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi Gary,
That would have been my expectation re the bounce down, and the mixes sound awesome in the Scope mixer. Is it better to go LR out to Sam or buss 1 and 2 to Sam. Should it make a difference?
Now you mention phase, I've noticed that when I have my OTB buss compressor inserted in the 2 buss via the Ferrofish the sound gets even darker (although the comp is a little dark anyway) , and when the comp is turned off in the buss, i.e. by the green button on the mixer, the sound dramatically changes, almost like a phase thing. You know that tube type of sound. I've tried different cables, mic cables, line cables etc. i'm now wondering if it is the patch bay.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

it could be that the compressor just doesn't sound the way you would like it to... :)
are you overdriving the unit's inputs or the A16's inputs?

the mix out should go to sam.
record busses bypass the master bus. they are for sending a track or group of tracks to a specific track in the sequencer, so for mutlitracking...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

No overdriving happening. Funny, I’ve got new monitors. And new scope, may be it’s just more obvious now.
I’ll do a mix compensating for the comp colour and go to Sam via the mix out. Is it best to monitor from the mix out at the same time, eg splitting the signal?
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

i monitor the control room out. the control room is where the engineer sits, the studio is where the musicians are and the mix out is for the two track tape in a traditional hardware studio.

the mix signal goes to the control room out(if mix is selected in the control room section), that allows you to adjust the listening level according to what is best for your monitoring system, while still getting a full signal to the two track.

i'm using the stm2448 or 4896, which are the full-featured recording mixers. otherwise, monitor the mix out directly.

if you don't monitor or record the mix out, how do you really know what is happening with the mix?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Morning Gary
I’m using 2448. The control room seems to be the go. I tried a mix down from the main stereo out and I think it worked ok, so the CR will confirm the signal flow.
The compressor is quite coloured, so I’ll just have to keep it turned on. Should anyway for mixing.
I have no idea why the sound changes so radically when the insert button is turned off with the comp inserted , as opposed to removing the comp completely. It’s a weird sound, not at all a reflection of the mix.
Alternatively I’ll use the stw master comps which are very good.
Have a great day
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

There’s no engineer in the CR. No wonder! 😉
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

lol...

there are train songs about locomotives without engineers. :lol:
usually, they are disaster stories, but sometimes things work out...
garyb

Post by garyb »

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanx ah mighty enjoyed that
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Ricardo wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm
Now you mention phase, I've noticed that when I have my OTB buss compressor inserted in the 2 buss via the Ferrofish the sound gets even darker (although the comp is a little dark anyway) , and when the comp is turned off in the buss, i.e. by the green button on the mixer, the sound dramatically changes, almost like a phase thing. You know that tube type of sound. I've tried different cables, mic cables, line cables etc. i'm now wondering if it is the patch bay.
I just checked this in Scope 5 and it doesn't happen. Everything is really clean. No pronounced darkness, no weird sounds.
Any ideas?
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

as i said, i haven't experienced that, i'm not sure what is happening. is a plugin's input overloaded?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi Gary. No not at all. Only happening in scope 7 though. I’ll keep trying, fresh setup and project etc. Again.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

don't try what won't work for you.

i'm not claiming it'll be the first thing i do, but how, exactly, can i hear this thing happen? is it on all mixes of all songs?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I’ll see what I can do next weekend.
R
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Seems good now. Tried it on some different projects and all ok. I deleted the original project and rebuilt it. I suspect there was some kind of feedback loop somewhere between scope and Sam pro, but where it was is anyone’s guess. Oh well.
R
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Ricardo wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:34 am I suspect there was some kind of feedback loop somewhere between scope and Sam pro, but where it was is anyone’s guess. Oh well.
Watch out, niceboy will be back. Dark woolly sound via feebdback loops is exactly what he likes. :lol: