Error notice - Can't start scope

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

Error notice - Can't start scope

Post by Ricardo »

Scope 7 is now not booting. i am having an error message
'Hardware cannot be setup properly
System error: timeout waiting for acknowledge from dsp 6
(communication stalled at dsp 2)

then dsp 1, then message saying hardware cannot be set up properly. I've done a re install but no success. It was running so well before. Device manager shows XITE is Ok.
What to do???
R
Ricardo

Re: Error notice - Can't start scope

Post by Ricardo »

I'm getting the same message 'Hardware cannot be setup properly' in my old Scope 5.1 as well, which is on a separate HDD and Win install. Device manager also says that the XITE is installed correctly.
I have used both today with no problems. Only issue I had was the STW registration.
R
dante

Post by dante »

Did you re-install the hardware (eg the PCIe connection w/ cleaning the contacts, reseating etc) or just the software ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

try another HDMI cable.

this sounds like a hardware problem. when Scope starts, it does a diagnostics first....
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi, thanks for responding
I only reinstalled the software. There were no issues with that.
Last night I turned everything off and slept on it. This morning I re booted. Scope asked me for the activation key ( due to the fresh install), which I entered and it all started up . As a precaution I didn’t turn on the ferrofish or the OTB compressor I usually have on all the time as an insert on the main buss.
It sounds like hardware to me too, due to the 5.1 install producing the same error message, so was feeling pretty crap about it all.
At the moment it seems to be working ok. Some points for consideration are:
- the ferrofish levels were running a bit higher than usual, but not noticeable on the scope mixer channels (everything was running less than ‘0’). I heard some sort of distortion which made me check the gain levels in Scope and ferrofish levels, and pulled the make up gain back on the compressor also.
- I had set the dsp on the ADAT source to dsp 2. Just to be aware. And activated the stw software with the 5.1 registry file
- yesterday was a pretty hot day. I have no A/C although my apartment didn’t feel too hot (old double brick building). However the HW could have got a bit warmer than usual.
I haven’t tried the scope 5 again yet. I will also re seat the pci card as I have never cleaned it in 5 years, and I have a spare hdmi cable if necessary.
If you have any thoughts please let me know.
Thanks

I’ll keep it simple for now and make gradual changes that I can monitor. I have a mix to finish today so we’ll see how we go.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

heat might be the issue, so might the connection with the HDMI cable or the PCIe card. cleaning the PCIe card's connectors with either 99% pure alcohol or a good commercial contact cleaner(NEVER less than 99% pure alcohol!) might help. the dsps DO make quite a bit of heat, but they are usually ok with that. if the room is really hot, that certainly doesn't help.

otherwise, i wouldn't worry unless you start seeing that error all the time. if that happens, contact support for service.

i really doubt if the A16 has anything to do with the problem.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks Gary
It’s been fine all morning and I finished the mix.
I was very speculative about the A16 being anything to do with it. Now that I have time I will get some alcohol, do a clean, then build the setup gradually, starting with STW just to cross it off the list. I’ll try to install all the plugins, and setup the otb compressor afresh, carefully, just in case something got copied over that shouldn’t have.
I have had the message about waiting for dsp 6 every time on startup, but usually clicking ok allows the application to load, bit like the reload dsp’s message in 5.1.
Anyway, I’m feeling a little happier now
Thanks again.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

is that an XITE-1D?

if so, this is a known problem. there is a fix in the works.

what happens is that the software tries to contact dsps that don't exist in the XITE-1D, then throws up the error...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

You are correct sir, It’s a 1D
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

ok, don't worry. it should just be an annoyance.
garyb

Post by garyb »

your computer isn't allowed to sleep, right?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Right. It's turned on for use and manually turned off when I finish.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, your experience suggested that maybe part of all of the computer went to sleep on you.

check the XITE's entry in the device manager and be sure that "reset board if idle" is unchecked on the properties\settings page.

also, in the Windows power settings that "link state power management" is disabled in advanced settings\PCIe
dante

Post by dante »

Check here - this seems mainly XITE-1D specific - although its been reported on XITE-! as well - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35265&p=332062&hili ... ut#p332062 - did you install Scope 7 fresh or over the top of 5.1 ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's a known bug with the XITE-1D, as i said.
the software is trying to contact dsps that are not in the XITE-1D, but are in the XITE-1.

fresh install or over-the-top does not matter.
v7 installs correctly either way.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

garyb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 pm ok, your experience suggested that maybe part of all of the computer went to sleep on you.

check the XITE's entry in the device manager and be sure that "reset board if idle" is unchecked on the properties\settings page.

also, in the Windows power settings that "link state power management" is disabled in advanced settings\PCIe
Both of these are done. I'll check on the other 5.1 OS as well. Only reason I'm doing a fresh install is because I want the OS and scope on my new SSD. I've yet to clean the PCI contacts but have swapped the HDMI cable for another, although I think that was fine.
The dsp 6 thing is no issue, one click and it's gone.
It's temporarily a triple boot system at present, the power on the general OS is set to sleep and this is currently the boot drive. There is no scope on that install and no XITE drivers. Not sure if this OS affects anything? I know cross talk and sharing can occur between op systems. Ultimately I intend to delete the 5.1 OS , keep a back up of the 5.1 Scope folder and format that disk for other storage uses.
Just tried to boot 5.1 and all is well. Booted 7.1 on the the new OS and all is fine there. I'll change power management to 'always on' on the general OS just to be safe but it's been like that for years.
Today I'll install all the non scope devices including STW and hopefully all will be well.
I'm not an IT expert so your comments and feedback are very much appreciated. I'm leaning towards heat being the cause, or trying to integrate the OTB compressor, or the STW registration.
Thank you also Dante, your contributions to this forum are invaluable.
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

i only asked about power because of the one time that it was working and then said that the hardware was not installed properly. that's a symptom of a system waking from sleep. feel free to disregard, it doesn't seem to apply.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 pm it's a known bug with the XITE-1D, as i said.
the software is trying to contact dsps that are not in the XITE-1D, but are in the XITE-1.

fresh install or over-the-top does not matter.
v7 installs correctly either way.
It matters on my system, on 2 OS's. Over the top install got rid of the error
garyb

Post by garyb »

hmm, that's interesting.
in any case, i'm fairly certain it's temporary.