No sound

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

soren_jepsen

No sound

Post by soren_jepsen »

No sound in or out

I've just installed Scope7 (XITE) on a fresh Win7 64bit install, and things seems to load fine, but i get no sound out or in. The meters on the mixer show sound from the software (both synths and windows), but the phones and analog outputs are silent. I hooked up a mic, but nothing shows on the mixer.

I hooked up my A16, and I can get sound out of that........

Any ideas?

And by the way, are the clip and signal leds dependent on software?

Regards
Søren
dante

Re: No sound

Post by dante »

Post a screen shot of your Scope project
garyb

Post by garyb »

if the meters are showing activity in the Scope mixer, then it must be working. something else is screwy. yes, a copy of the project might help.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I dont want you to jump to conclusions without trying what the others suggest checking first, but could this be a similar issue to mine from a year ago? http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34465

Due to unforseen circumstances I never got around to sorting my issue out and since then havent really had a need to use the front panels or analog outputs for some time and I'd actually forgotten about the problem, but I really must get around to sorting this out. I just tried checking my phones and analog outputs again and unfortunately they dont work at the moment so I will have another look tomorrow.

I dont mean to hijack your thread Soren, and it could just be a corrupted project, but did you happen to move the XITE recently? When you say you can get sound out of the A16, is the A16 connected to the XITE via ADAT or Z-Link. My situaltion sounds the same, as all DSP devices, synths, effects, mixers work fine, MIDI works, and I can receive and send audio via ADAT and Z-Link but the Analog XLR I/O and the front Panel Mics and Phones dont work.

But I hope your issue does turn out to be easier to solve, and let us know how you get on one way or the other.
Last edited by t_tangent on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

only front panel doesn't work is not a software issue. it's a repair issue.
it might be as simple as a disconnected ribbon cable or just a bad daughter board.
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

The project is just the default from install (a clean install on a fresh win7). All I added was z-link and phones out, connected to the main outut from the mixer. Before I go fetch a screenshot:

Is the led indicators (clip and signal) on the front panel dependent on the software, or will they light up regardless? This might be the fastest route do check if this is hardware related.

@t_tangent: yes I have moved the xite around.

Regards
Søren
petal

Post by petal »

Could you please make a screenshot of your project and post it here. It will make it easier for others to troubleshoot then.
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

Here's a screenshot.

The meter showing sound is from a browser (youtube).

While taking the shot, I had a mic on the 1. mic input (stating profoundly my frustrastion including several profanities to the World) so that should have shown in the meter in the mixer

There's no sound from the outputs of the XITE, but the A16 connected via Z-link Works as intended.

Anyone who can answer my question regarding the leds/indicators?

Regards
Søren
NoSound.PNG
NoSound.PNG (97.07 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
Tau

Post by Tau »

If you go to view-samplerate, is any sample rate detected? Can you set it to internal sync?

I've been having similar problems with my XITE-1, although the meters work, there is no sound coming out. It doesn't lock to internal samplerate. But I found out only yesterday that if I press the bottom plate of the XITE up, pushing it in just a little, it will return to normal.

At the moment, I have it working, upside-down, with a little weight on top of the middle of the bottom plate- that's how excited I am feeling about Scope 7, STS5000 workarounds, new forum updates etc :)

I'm thinking it must be something loose, or maybe hairline fractures in the solder or just a bad connection. It started after I racked it up and took it out for a few gigs, so it makes sense that something might have got loose.
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

DISCO!!!

I ended up taking the unit appart and search for problems inside. All the digital in/outs was working, so that sort of narrowed it down. Found a voltage regulator running at around 220 deg. F /100 dec. C!!!!!! Ouch. Turns out one of the filter caps on the supply line for the converters had failed....short, with no visible signs. They did seem a bit small in size, compared the ones I installed..... Funny thing is that regulator still works, although it was operating way over spec. temp.

Thanks for all the input!

Cheers
Søren
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

That is great news. Glad you sorted it out. Hopefully that is the same issue with mine so I will have a look at that. Any chance you could let me know which board that was on, or if you have a photo could you post it here for future reference. Thanks.

Tim