Partition my HDD?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Hypersonix

Partition my HDD?

Post by Hypersonix »

Hi all,

It's been a couple of years since I was last looking here but with the arrival of Scope 7 (so happy about this) I have a few questions if I may?

I am currently running a HP XW4600 with a single 500gb HDD with Scope 5.1 on it. It all works fine but I am wondering if I can partiition the HDD and install Windows 10 and Scope 7 on the new partition? Is this possible or should I just buy another HDD and keep the old one intact as a backup?
I've download the Windows 10 ISO and have it on a USB stick ready to install. When I tried the partition method the installer for WIn 10 didn't ask me where I wanted to install so I cancelled the installation.

Any advice here would be much appreciated.
David

Re: Partition my HDD?

Post by David »

For resizing a populated partion I've had success with partion magic or paragon partition manager. There are others.

Resize the partition to create a clean partition for win10 install. Then run win10 installer select clean/new install not upgrade and choose the newly created partition.

I think recent editions of windows installer offer format and partition options during install.
Looking at web results it appears win10 is the same, as per the screen shots at this webpage...
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-w ... 0-from-usb

Hope this helps.

otoh drives are pretty cheap, perhaps get an ssd as they're fast and quiet
Hypersonix

Post by Hypersonix »

Thank you for the reply.
I think I will get a smallish SSD and do a completely clean install. This way I can put the Scope 5.1 HDD back in if ever needed.
Cheers!
David

Post by David »

This site has an easier to follow guide if you do decide on resizing your partition and dual booting

https://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to ... ws-7-or-8/

Cheers
dante

Post by dante »

MiniTool Partition Wizard got me out of a world of pain setting up the setup below. Its aware of the differences between boot mechanisms on SSD vs HDD. You cant deal with an SSD the same as a HDD and Windows drive manager wont handle SSD

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partiti ... gKot_D_BwE
dual-boot
dual-boot
dual-boot.jpg (174.76 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Hypersonix

Post by Hypersonix »

Thank you for this, Dante. Really helpful info.
I decided to go with a fresh ssd and Windows 10 64bit in the end.
The only issue I am having now is I need to find a computer keyboard with a PS2 connector so I can get in to the bios on my HP XW4600. For some reason I can’t do this with usb keyboard.
I’ll get Scope7 installed eventually!
David

Post by David »

A usb to ps2 adapter?

In the uk, try freecyle, I've had plenty of success sourcing older computer components this way and they're free. Also ask at a computer shop as they usually have a ps2 keyboard in a back room or basement for free too.

I've got a spare usb to ps2 adapter I'm happy to post, PM your address if you'd like it.

Xmas cheer!
Hypersonix

Post by Hypersonix »

Very generous of you but I managed to get one from work. I’ll give it a go over the weekend.
Merry Christmas to you and all of PlanetZ!