XITE HDMI/PCIe connector problems?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

XITE HDMI/PCIe connector problems?

Post by cortone »

How tight is your XITE HDMI/PCIe connector? Will it wiggle once it is snapped into place? The cable to my desktop will wiggle a slight amount in the XITE connector, and it results in the XITE not being found if it's not perfectly placed. I don't know if it's a bad cable, or a bad XITE HDMI/PCIe connector. Every HDMI cable I have tried has the same slightly loose fit, but I only have one cable to try with my desktop connection.

I also use the XITE with a laptop, and no matter how I adjust the HDMI connection, I can't get the laptop to see the XITE at all (XITE not found error). This is currently a v5.1 install as I try to get this running for v7, on a Win10 v1709 machine with driver signing disabled. The XITE connector is the common factor, but I can't get it to work even when I adjust the cable (same method which works on the desktop). In this case, I may have a bad SonicCore expresscard, or a bad expresscard slot on the laptop. It has always been a challenge to get the expresscard to click into place while maintaining the mini-HDMI connection, but it was solid once in place.

It all worked great for many years, but it has been quiet for awhile, and there have been Windows updates. At this point I may have multiple issues which are making it hard to pinpoint a single solution. Any help is appreciated!
garyb

Re: XITE HDMI/PCIe connector problems?

Post by garyb »

you may have broken the PCIe card's connector. it should wiggle a little, but it should be pretty tight. if you are handy, you may be able to fix it.

yes, the lappy sounds like it has a bad expresscard slot or expresscard.
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks again, although I wish you had cheerier news. :lol:

Note that the connector that may be broken is actually in the XITE itself. It's not really much wiggle, but it seems to be what fixes the desktop, although maybe it's a short in the cable that is corrected with a little wiggle? I will try with an adapter and see where I'm at.

Have you had some of the express cards go bad? This would be from the very first batch, I recall that I had to wait to get one after the first release of the XITE, and it would be close to 10 years old at this point. I haven't found them on the SC website, how much? Haven't found it on the new SC site. I'll try to locate a laptop with a slot to work with to test the card, but can't think of an option right now, those are dinosaur era. Is there a different solution now?

Tough dollar decisions to sort this out. All in all, it's a good problem to have though. I still have a 4-banger card in my desktop dating from 1999 (v1 with an update floppy for v1.1), plus another 6 alongside it. I sold a 14-dsp to invest in the XITE when it came out. Beyond unbelievable that the platform rolls on. Dreams do come true!

Cheers!
Cory
garyb

Post by garyb »

Espresscard slots can still be found on business machines.
you can use thunderbolt and expresscard with the Sonnet Technologies adapter.

the XITE's connector might be bad, but that would require surgery.

i have a couple of laptops that you could try....