hdmi adapters

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

hdmi adapters

Post by cortone »

Has anybody used an hdmi adapter in their set up?

Example 1, a DVI-HDMI adapter on the PCIe card for a desktop (instead of the dedicated cable with DVI and HDMI)?

Example 2, an hdmi-to-minihdmi adapter with the expresscard in a laptop?

I'm trying to resolve some problems with an XITE that has been "quiet" for too long and seems to be having hdmi-related problems across the two types of systems above. At one point I thought it was completely dead, so I'm making progress, but I am trying to pinpoint the problems to the XITE hdmi connector, the cables themselves, and the XITE expresscard, or expresscard connector on the laptop. I'm concerned that there may be signal integrity problems with the extra connections through the adapters.

Might also be generally useful information.

Thank you!

BIG SHOUT OUT TO HOLGER FOR THE FINEST AUDIO SETUP IN THE WORLD!
garyb

Re: hdmi adapters

Post by garyb »

the HDMI connector on the XITE is NOT for HDMI!
the connection on the PCIe card is not the same connection as any other DVI/HDMI connection on the computer!
damage may occur!
cortone

Post by cortone »

Understood Gary, I'm not trying to connect to a proper HDMI or DVI input on the computer. What I'm trying to sort out is whether an adapter can be used in place of the dedicated cables.

So, for the desktop, I have the SonicCore PCIe expansion card installed, and that has a DVI-to-HDMI cable that is suppled to connect the XITE (HDMI end of cable) to the PCIe card (DVI end of the cable). In this case, can I use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter at the PCIe card, and then use a known-good HDMI cable for the rest of the connection, or does that impact the signal quality enough to create instability? The supplied DVI-to-HDMI cable has to be installed *exactly so* to have a successful connection, and I'm trying to sort out whether the cable, or the XITE HDMI connector itself is faulty. I don't have a replacement cable to use in this case. Did SonicCore design their own cable to connect the XITE to the PCIe expansion card?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, but that must be a VERY old PCIe card. they are all HDMI-HDMI, currently....

an adapter would probably work, but you might just want a new PCIe card.
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks Gary. This is one of the first of the first generation XITEs, I wasn't too far behind Dawman when he got his.

I'll have to sort out the other end first before I decide about a new PCIe card. I think it's probably fine, and I'd much rather use the laptop if I can resolve those issues.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure.

i'm in Fairfield, which is south of Spokane.
i can loan you an Expresscard, and/or help you test, if you wish to travel from Pullman(Pullman, right?).

pm me.