Scope 7 Bug List

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Scope 7 Bug List

Post by garyb »

Scope cards are not controlled by Windows via a driver.
Scope cards are a separate computer. that's why they have a program. Scope is the operating system.

it's bad programming from the developer that makes this situation. since most users are stupid and are neither engineers or musicians, the writers of some applications decide that it's better to do it all for the user. this is great for some circumstances, but it leaves everyone who does not use a "Windows Soundcard"(Scope is not a Windows Soundcard, but it can act like one) out of the picture. if the guy who wrote the app left an escape route for the software if it could not access an ASIO control panel, then it would work with everything. Scope cards will never have an ASIO control panel in Windows, because there is no practical way for Windows to know what is happening inside the card.

it's not Scope that is wrong, it is the application developer, because he didn't care about other possibilities. it is possible that EASTWEST could patch the app in the same way that Steinberg once provided a fix for Wavelab.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm Scope cards are not controlled by Windows via a driver.
Scope cards are a separate computer. that's why they have a program. Scope is the operating system.
excellent explanation !
And,- most of us (I guess),- want it to be the same ´til doomsday !
Using SCOPE on a separate machine is the best IMO,- may it be for the time being or in future.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

I've resolved my problem with GOST plugins. I was getting a crash even though I had the right DSP and .sys files. I loaded the old sys files and the plugins loaded without a crash but asked for the newer sys files. It also asked for the .reg keys which it didn't do before. I applied the keys then put the newer sys files and it worked correctly.

I'm just wondering how the update deals with some keys. Are these causing the crashes when they're not entered in the main Scope registry?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no.
v5 keys work for optional plugins.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Ok Gary Thanks for explanations ! it's clearer now.

I allowed myself to quote you to EastWest support ( but without the part on the bad programmers :D ) , I'll do the same for Presonus (Notion) (but wihout the part for wavelab because they are Studio One developpers ... and I suppose they will not demand to Steinberg an help :roll: ) :
« Scope cards are not controlled by Windows via a driver.
This is great for some circumstances, but it leaves everyone who does not use a "Windows Soundcard" (Scope is not a Windows Soundcard, but it can act like one) out of the picture.
If the guy who wrote the app left an escape route for the software if it could not access an ASIO control panel, then it would work with everything.
Scope cards will never have an ASIO control panel in Windows, because there is no practical way for Windows to know what is happening inside the card.
It is possible that EASTWEST could patch the app in the same way that Steinberg once provided a fix for Wavelab. »
Thanks Gary.
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Maybe for a next version of scope I suggest to create a 'virtual' control panel to fake the 'windows complient' ...?
I'm a fan of scope you know, I like the singularity of scope but I think that OS needing is an important thing to expect for the hardwares because it's inside the OS we work. And it could only extend the range of scope that take into account the Windows OS part of sound cards.
We would not be worried about every update of scope software which it will be compatible or not ...
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't think that's possible.
it's also not necessary for the OS to control hardware...necessarily. :)
it's just something for kids and feature junkies. it doesn't make a producer or engineer's life any easier.

well, i get what you mean about worry, but no need to worry. music is bigger than the machines that make it, just like humans are greater than the machines they make, even if the machines become sentient and kill everyone and rule the universe... :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

it would be much easier for the programmer to leave an option to accept the settings the driver provides. how do you think the rest of the programs work?

i'm not saying it's never the driver's fault. sometimes it is the driver, but when it works for all but a couple of applications, it's really not fair to blame the driver or the hardware. the ASIO standard did have a lot of features added to it, but it's not right to expect every driver to implement any of those features, beyond what is needed to transmit and accept the audio data/clock streams. there's certainly nothing wrong with a programmer making use of all features, when they are available, of course. if this was how business was done, the v5.1 ASIO driver would work with EVERYTHING and Holger would have been able to spend 100% of his driver effort time on the Wave driver. he could have just had the v5.1 driver signed and been done with it. :)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Google and install VoiceMeeter (Donationware).

I have a hunch that may solve your problem. You'll select VM as the ASIO driver in EastWest. Leave Scope alone.

Start Scope.
Start VB.
Tell VB to use Scope ASIO channels.
Start EW.
Choose VB driver.
Profit.

Can't hurt.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, voicemeeter should be a quite functional work around.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

I'm afraid it add latency. I completely removed VB.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Oh well. Sounds like EW ASIO buffer adjustment or VB not configured correctly. Don't use EW standalone but Sampletank and Kontakt and Halion with no problem. Even wIth just Scope, no VB. With VB I can use them all at once with Scope.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I'm just using a refurb HP-XW4600 quad core 2.8 with 16GB of RAM. Win 7 Pro. VoiceMeeter, Process Lasso. No special video, a cheap NVIDIA with 1 DVI, HDMI and VGA. 2 Hybrid 1TB drives and a 27 inch HD widescreen. 3 PCI: Pro, Pulsar, Luna. Two STDM cables. Scope 5.1. Too broke to go for the 7 special (fractured knee) but it looks like maybe better to wait and see as I have mucho Akai samples to feed STS and no patience right now to iron wrinkles.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Under Win 10, when the PC goes in to sleep or hibernation mode: afetr wake-up scope has lost connection to the PCI-board. Can only be solved by reboot.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Do you have "allow windows to turn off this device" set in power options in device manager. Does Windows 10 have that setting?
garyb

Post by garyb »

DragonSF wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 am Under Win 10, when the PC goes in to sleep or hibernation mode: afetr wake-up scope has lost connection to the PCI-board. Can only be solved by reboot.
that is not a bug, that is normal.

Scope cannot sleep. once the computer goes to sleep, power is cut to the bus and the dsps lose their state. when the computer starts back up, Scope is not in contact with the dsps. only restarting can restore the condition, but Scope cards and the XITE aren't hot swappable. it takes a reboot for windows to recognize their existence again.

there is no reason for a Scope computer to sleep. power saving is not something that a realtime system does well with.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

@Garyb:'that's what I thought, but for one reason or another, Win 10 goes to sleep against my settings (or after an update, sleep is activated again). Thanks for reassuring, that' this is not a scope 7 or HW issue as such.
Strange enough my PC is set to never go to sleep, but it still does :evil:
Last edited by DragonSF on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

be sure that in the device manager, the XITE entry has the "reset board when idle" box UNCHECKED in properties.(i think this is what Ronnie was alluding to)

also, in the advanced power settings, the PCI Express entry has "link state power management" turned OFF.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Power and PCI settings are set accordingly.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Thanks gary, that's what I meant.