Modular IV install in windows 10...time to depart Scope?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

revel8or

Modular IV install in windows 10...time to depart Scope?

Post by revel8or »

Hey all. I've had a bear of a time with installing scope in Windows 10 *after* I put in an SSD disk.

I had everything running smoothly under 10 by bypassing the signing check and running it in test mode. Now that I've installed an SSD, the drivers aren't working correctly (ableton or any other program doesn't recognize them, even though device manager sez they are good to go) and Modular IV won't install because windows claims that it is for an x86 computer. I've tried to install it with Windows in test mode and not checking for drivers, I've tried installing as admin, and tried *every* compatibility mode that there is...no luck.

Is there anyone who can offer some suggestions?

I'm not illiterate with command line and debugging stuff, but this...well, I feel like it might be time to move on from Pulsar or put together a windoze 7 system dedicated to it...

Any help would be welcome and appreciated.

revel8or
next to nothing

Re: Modular IV install in windows 10...time to depart Scope?

Post by next to nothing »

Hi

I can partially answer this. Unfortunately, modular 4 installer hasn't been fixed since the release 8 years ago, so it is 32-bit only. You can install it by downloading the .Zip version at http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... dditionals and dragging the folders to the corresponding scope folders.

This will get Mod 4 up and running, but beware that it is still buggy to a certain extent. One main issue that has been bothering me is that a few devices will BSOD your PC, in example the Tape Delay device. It is a known issue, and there is a fix, but the fixed system files are not included in the installer or .zip as far as i know, so unless you get hold of the fixed files, stay off Tape Delay in particular. It should be a small fix for Sonic Core to include this files, but it hasn't been done from what i know.

Regarding Scope itself not running, that is weird. It has nothing to do with your SSD atleast (running w10 on SSD here). Only thing i can add is make sure it is properly seated, even if you think it is, double check :)

Good luck!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
revel8or

Post by revel8or »

It is a *very* questionable fit for the cards. The only mobo that I could find that had two pci slots was designed such that the cards hover over the SATA connections. I’ve whittled down the connectors and used 90 degree angle ones, but the only way the cards will physically fit is with the Luna in slot 1 and Pulsar II in slot 2 - when all 6 SATA slots are being utilized.

I will remove a couple of the devices and run them through external USB to free up the physical space, and put the cards back into their otiginal positions.

Thank you for the advice as it made me think of *all* the changes that went on, simultaneously. I’ll manually load the files into their prospective folders - I remember doing that for some of the original devices back in the day :)

I’ll repost results, tomorrow, and I’ll stay away from the tape delay. In the last communication that I had with Sonic Core, they indicated that the dsp pci cards were officially out of the development cycle. End of life. I don’t expect anything else from them until I shill out a pancreas to offset the cost of their new rack mount by a few thousand.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i doubt very much if Windows 10 has anything to do with your issues.

Live needs to be run in win8 compatibility mode, however.
the Scope drivers should work the same as win7 then.

tape delay doesn't work in 64 bit, but there's no crash here.

as to end of life, well...
the PCI cards are not SonicCore products, so there is no way to support the hardware, BUT, when v7 comes out, it will almost certainly be available for the PCI cards. if you contact me at support, i would be happy to use Teamviewer to help sort out the issues.

an XITE-1 is also much cheaper than that. giving up a pancreas is too much. at most, you'd have to give up a few toys.

the Gigabyte GAZ97M-D3H doesn't have stuff in the way of the PCI slots, and it's still around. here's where you are dealing with obsolescence, though. the PCI slot is 100% obsolete in the minds of motherboard designers. naturally, boards with PCI slots that work for the cards are hard to find. they're far from impossible, though. Scope cards have always been picky about the system that they are used with. considering how much use they can provide in their lifetime, i think it's worth the effort to put them into a machine that makes them happy.
next to nothing

Forgot about the compatibility mode for Ableton Live, you are absolutely right Gary. I seem to remember Reaper was working without any issues, so that might be a way to double check.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
revel8or

Post by revel8or »

I rearranged some things. I was able to get the Pulsar 2 card back in it’s original pci slot and the Luna in what the computer thinks is the secondary slot. There was enough room to run a straight ended SATA(n) cable beside the Pulsar card, so I’m down only one HD, but it’s the one I use for samples - so it can be USB boxified and ran as an external.

Because I’m a masochist, I started over, completely, with Windows 10, with a fresh install on my SSD, then loaded video drivers (then disabled the audio bloatware that is installed with my video card), adobe reader, and 7 zip. Next, I set the computer in test mode and disabled integrity checks. Scope 5.1 was next, along with a manual slide I’ve of the modular 4 stuff and a quick check of my license key to ensure that the permissions were there, as I’m freakishly paranoid at 2 in the morning.

Wavasaur was next as it is a super lightweight asio compatible proggy, and...it worked. Pulsar is now back to being the primary card, and I can listen to both desktop stuff as well as hear a YouTube video being ran from Chrome.

Now, the 8 hour download of NI products is going on. Man, they take their piano multisampling seriously. I could fit the entire Louve in data packets as big as some of those instruments. And a small pizza joint.

I didn’t know that Ableton had to run in compatibility mode. As soon as NI is done, I’ll load it up and see what’s up with that. Before the SSD installation, it worked like a charm in W10, but so did everything else. I’m not sure if the computer recognized the need to run it in compatibility mode or what.

BTW, they just announced Ableton 10. It took me 9 iterations before I decided to get it, so I just spent (August 30th) 450...and the free update to A10 is for purchases made after the beginning of October. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I’ll post more later today as I get more stuff installed. Looks promising. I love these cards, and anything that I can do to make them last...well, you know.

rev
next to nothing

Well if Wavasaur is working properly, you should have no issues running Ableton Live as well, as long as you run in comp mode for win 8. I just double checked, and it is still needed (my Live version is up to date).
revel8or

Post by revel8or »

Back from the local computer clearinghouse, with a quick stop by the not-so-well-stocked big box music store.

Picked up a PCI-e SATA interface that has only *one* spot for the last drive in my computer - cheap and easy. And another hard drive. And an external dock. And some soldering tools. I hate going there.

In the mean time, I hampered the d/l of the larger pianos in Ultimate to speed things along. I can get those moving at night when we aren't using the bandwidth. Maschine fired right up, immediately recognized the Scope ASIO drivers and was golden!

I looked at different audio interfaces at the big box- there are certainly many, but absolutely NONE that compares against my cards dated from the year 2000.

The UAD stuff looks interesting, but has a dearth of inputs and outputs. I can get ins and outs with Focusrite, but the software...well, it isn't Scope, now is it? The salesman was trying to tell me that all of these interfaces have a better sampling rate, etc., but they don't. It says so right on the boxes. If a better sampling rate is present, one receives the lite version of all of the software and a full compressor. I think that the only one I'd be tempted by is the AudioFuse...but it happens to be made by Arturia, which has always been hit or miss in their engineering and build quality, although I do love my Minibrute.

Well, Thanks a lot, all. I really appreciate your help, and I'll start coming back around and see if I can start paying of the debt of your kindness by helping others when I can.

I just wish I had the breakout for the Pulsar that has the XLR connections instead of the RCA. :( All good, nonetheless as Myyyy Preeeeciousssss still works :) One (or several linked) cards to rule them all!!

rev
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
next to nothing

Hey, glad you have it working! Regarding your XLRs, well, i guess there are solutions to that as well :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrK6xcF34DY
revel8or

Post by revel8or »

Nice. I’ve never met anyone in any big box, sales or customer, that knows @ SC or Creamware. The most common response is, “Why would you want a card that can do that?”

I’m never sure if they are actually that detached from reality, or if they are trying to convince me that a superior product is worth ditching for what they sell, which is incredibly tenuous logic.

I’m not against B.B., per se, as I *love* Sweetwater - if you are ever in Ft Wayne, Indiana, they have the BEST synth room. And they carry eurorack modular stuff :). They know what they are talking about, and if you ask something that they don’t know, they admit it and find the answer.

Pardon the digression.

Actually, I’m surprised that SonicCore doesn’t have a presence there. Sweetwater is incredibly well known for doing business with big names in the industry...
garyb

Post by garyb »

Sweetwater will provide zero sales support, they don't find Scope to be the kind of product worth promotion.

until there is a major budget for promotion, Scope is just not fit for that type of store.

the death of the magazine and the death of the local high-end recording supply house has really hurt products like Scope. heck, the art of recording is practically a dead art for the novice. most opt for saving money and time using recordings made by others.
revel8or

Post by revel8or »

garyb, you make very good sociological points. The rise of the DJ as a producer, who mixes music that is physically made by others through large-label houses,..your point is clear. There are a few placed to get specialized stuff, but not many. Eurorack seems to be in ATM, so there's some variety, there, but GC, SW, and Amazon are slowly catching up. Which means the smaller places will go under. Once that the popularity dies, then the big boxes will drop the product, and then it's, essentially, gone.

It makes me sad, really. It should have been obvious when WaxTrax closed in Chicago. Great place - label with their own store. Found incredible artists...and they finally became insolvent when punk and industrial moved into the mainstream and had the backing of big business. Going to their store was, well, a visit to the label, and the people who ran it were, well, artists.

Add things like Soundcloud and YouTube to the picture, and you've splintered the stage by, well, however many people who post Atari noises and rap that's been mastered by pirated Autotune...

Well, I'll tell you what. I'm excited for SonicCore to continue their work. Of course, if there's another incarnation of O/S for the Creamware cards, I'll be all over that. Further, I'll start looking at what can go and save back a bit and consider an XITE.

Not to be too personal, but I just left a position and, today, just got hired for *much* better one - moved up several rungs on the ladder all at once. :) I was "underutilized," I suppose. Anyway, just keep SC going for a bit longer, eh?
next to nothing

Hey, congratulations!
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I bring up this old thread because I was trying ti install mod iv on my 64bit pci cards system.

I'd like to know if there is a difference between the Xite and the pci card version ? Both are exactly the same weight, just like if they were the same... :wink:

And apparently, there is only that zip file for Xite & pci, right ? Actually, I don't even know if there is a zip file for 64bits system and another for 32bits. :-?

Thank you !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

According to 'Total Commander' the zip file I had 8 or 9 years ago for my xite and the one I downloaded thanks to the link in this thread are exactly the same.
garyb

Post by garyb »

???
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Sorry...

I meant the modular iv zip file and its modules are the same for a 32 or 64 bits computer, I don't see 2 different zip files nowhere.

Total commander allows to check if there is any differences between files in 2 folders. I compared the zip file I dowloaded 9 years ago with the one I found in this thread = they are the same.