Xite not being found

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Striker10

Xite not being found

Post by Striker10 »

HI guys,

Recently purchased a second hand xite. Having an issue and will try to be discriptive.

My computer is windows 7 64bit - MSI z68a-gd65 which has 4 pcie. The problem is that my computer isn't seeing the pcie so when installing - can't install drivers. Can install drivers in system 32 folder manually but there's no communication between pcie and scope so all I have is a green light on the scope and so software won't load. What do you need and what do I need to provide you guys and girls so that I can confirm error or if there's a fault. I've obviously tried all four pcie slots. The card itself don't fit great I noticed and the port where the hdmi goes in isn't entirely strong but hopefully it's something silly my end

Thanks
petal

Re: Xite not being found

Post by petal »

First make sure that the HDMI cable is seated correctly.

Also, if you have other HDMI cables lying around, try them out too if the first step doesn't solve the problem.
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

Hi Petal,

Yep I've tried two or three hdmi cables. I'm not entirely happy with how the pci e card fits into the pci e slots because you can push it in all the way but it's not immovable (it is pushed in all the way and pushed down).- but I don't know if that's normal? I can least rule out hdmi cable as I removed my graphic card and used the hdmi I had been using for my monitor so I know that works.
petal

Post by petal »

OK - Do you have a chance to try the PCIE-card in another pc and check if it is recognized there?
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

yes I tried another msi motherboard with same result. Both motherboards are upto date (to my knowledge), regarding driver updates etc
petal

Post by petal »

I'm afraid to say this, but maybe the PCI-E is dead? Maybe have a chat with the seller?

If it is dead. you can buy a new one:

http://www.sonic-core.net/shop/product_ ... ITE-1.html
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll get it sorted soon!
Only thing that comes to my mind is an obvious one, that you're probably doing anyway:
turn on the XITE-1 before turning on the computer.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the XITE-1 is not hot-swappable.
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

sunmachine wrote:Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll get it sorted soon!
Only thing that comes to my mind is an obvious one, that you're probably doing anyway:
turn on the XITE-1 before turning on the computer.
Think i've tried but will try again. Yeah Gary, I made sure to turn off (plug out etc) before every resit. I have considered the possibility of it being dead so asked the seller when it was last used etc. It's a pity there's no light to show sign of life but is there anything else I can do? Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

Driver Enforcement?
Xite must always be on before the PC.
Nothing knocks out connections faster than out of sequence booting.
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

Hey dawman,

Yeah I had left the xite on mostly on reboot. It was just at the start it was off and when i run the drivers I always right click and run as admin. Just a habit I got. I tried to (earlier) copy the files manually to system 32 but since there's no sign of life from the pci - I assume it's dead?

I get the 'Neither of the following devices found' message. Referring to this thread: http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... nd#p300190

Am I right in thinking the poster tried the big pcie slots and the small ones? Is that unusual or worth trying?

Cheers folks
garyb

Post by garyb »

well...
"as administrator" is for running Scope. it's how Scope should be started, but it doesn't affect the installer.

the driver should be installed by the installer, not manually(unless it has already been installed, and even then, there are not that many reasons to do so). if you get the "XITE not found" error on the driver installation, then there is a hardware level problem, EXCEPT if using win8/win10, in which case you need to disable driver signature security enforcement(easy).

there aren't many reasons why the XITE is not recognized...
1. be sure the XITE is connected and powered on before powering up the computer. a Scope computer MUST NOT SLEEP. the computer must have been completely shut off before connecting and powering the XITE.
2. does the XITE have power? is the power led lit? did you measure the voltage of the supply? what are the voltage and amperage specs on it(written).
3. if the hdmi cable is bad or it was connected while the computer was on or forced onto the connectors of the XITE or PCIe card, damaging the connectors(happened more than once) obviously, it won't work. if the connection is bad in any way and intermittent, this will cause failure.
4. what kind of slot if the PCIe card in? x1 slots are best because there is less chance for the card to go in cock-eyed, but any PCIe slot should work. is the slot active? more importantly. are you 100% sure that the card is completely in the slot, correctly? if it's out of place(not down all the way) a few hairs, it won't work. this has caught me several times.
5. are the hdmi connectors on the XITE and PCIe card undamaged? as above, it happens.
6. i'm trying to stretch this out, but it's pretty hard from here.
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

Hi Gary,

1. yep I always shut down (plug etc) before resitting pcie and my computer never sleeps
2. I've not measured the voltage of the supply but when I switch the scope power on it comes up with a green light? I'm assuming that's ok. If there was an additional error with the hardware, would it show another colour?
3. Well I've tried 3 cables now and the one currently in, is the one I used to use for my graphics card - which I since removed to make more space.
4. I've tried x16 and x1 slots. It came with a ribbon adaptor which I tried too.
5. Seems fine on the hardware. On the card the hdmi port doesn't seem solid as such. You know where the pin go through the holes of the board - When you put in a hdmi, it don't feel solid but I don't know if it's meant to be like that. The connection of the hdmi though seems fine. It's pushed in as much as it can go. * Should have mentioned the silver faceplate is missing

When you put the pci-e card in the computer - even in all the way and you press down on it slightly, it will move. I mean as long as it's in all the way, it's not picky about whether it's straight or pushed more up then down? The slots are fine - I even put them in the x16 which is where my graphics card was. As I mentioned I purchased this second hand and am seeking feedback from the seller

I guess my final question - one that I went into is that if the light is green on the hardware, is the hardware atleast fine/would it show another colour or not turn on at all perhaps if there was another issue there? It looks like I will have to get a new pcie card
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, green light is good, but it's just a power light.
it certainly matters if the card is straight or forward or back in the slot. if it can move forward or back, it's likely not in the slot correctly. that's not the word of god, though.

i'd be happy to test it or help otherwise...
write to support.
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

hey Gary,

At the minute i'll probably need to speak to the seller but i've had to purchase a new pcie. The problem is that it's missing the faceplate. Which is why the usb connection isn't completely solid. I've put it in so many times (and tried different angles but with a solid connection and done so many reboots and in 2 computers in all slots that at this point, I'll try it again maybe...next year lol. Obviously I'd need to rule out a dodgy pcie port on the hardware itself also. Appriciate the feedback and I'll certainly get in touch with support at some point.

thanks again
Striker10

Post by Striker10 »

Hi Guys,

Happily I got it working! But it's a long road to getting where I want to be. A very long road. Had a few crashes etc but will sort that out later. Garyb was kinda right. When I was trying to get the pcie installed, I knew that the hdmi port was not 'stable'. I'm not sure if i said, but the faceplate initially had been removed to put into a rack. I'm on a desk top and the only way to get this card working was to have the hdmi cable running over the desktop and into the scope rather then the cable hanging down. When I was trying to get it working initially, I did try to prop the ribbon under the port to give it stability but just never worked. So that's something to bear in mind for anyone that perhaps buys from someone with a rack if you have a desktop.