ADAT and stability

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

babaorum

ADAT and stability

Post by babaorum »

On my Pulsar I plugged ADAT to an ADA8200, with the ADAT input/output A the vu-meter on the micro mixer which I use for the ADAT input sent regularly peaks (every 4 secondes) , on the ADA8200 led indicated that the connection was sync :oops: so I decided to plug instead the ADAT input/output B it seems like it's ok for the first time.

But when I re-open my project cubase in another session the same issue appeared (peaks of the ADAT inputs from the ADA8200 (it's a new one). I had to click on SLAVE and re-click on MASTER and after it was sync ... so this installation seems to be very unstable, do you have tips or tricks to use ADAT 'rock solid' ?
(my cables are immobilized by a piece of carton because in the ADA8200 they didn't stop to move if I moved my rack ... )
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
garyb

Re: ADAT and stability

Post by garyb »

it sounds like there is an issue with the physical connection. some types of cables don't fit the ports well.

if sync is good, it will be solid. there aren't any tricks...

you might try cleaning the ports and ends of the cables with compressed air. even a small dust spec can make things unstable.
valis

Post by valis »

Some years ago I had my scope machine in another room and a very long ADAT cables to make the reach. The cables were not bad quality but I still occasionally would record sample tics where it would lose sync for a sample or two, adding a sync plate and using BNC as my sink reference for Clarke solved this.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

How much does Clarke charge to fix sink? :wink:
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays