Scope Pro Died?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Scope Pro Died?

Post by ronnie »

Cleaned contacts. Re-seated. Nada. Board no show no more. Started with Out of DSP error. Natch. Can't re-install driver - get error from installation screen "Found Sonic Scope" (I have Pro, Pulsar2 and Luna - so that may not mean anything) ... "Internal Registry Error (UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices failed)
ERROR: InstallDriver returned -3"

Am I dead and if so what's next?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
JoPo

Re: Scope Pro Died?

Post by JoPo »

You must try it on another computer ! This the first thing to do to check if it's the card or your computer.

Didn't you loose a luna last time ?? :o
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Post by garyb »

if it's dead, you may just need another, i am sorry to say...
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I lost a Luna 24/96, Luna card is still going. Am trying different slot now. Will try son's PC next. Anyone know what's up with the driver install error? Should I try to reinstall 5.1? I have everything backed up.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Removed Pulsar2 and put in Pro. Device Manager does not see it. Scope does not see it. :cry:

Very hard for me as other than the 24/96 I never had a piece of hardware die, except drives.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, they do die occasionally.
for computer gear, those cards have remarkably long lifespans...
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

:cry: Well, I've got too many projects. From 23 chips to 9, won't cut it. I'll have to save up for a new one. On a severe budget, though. Is there any way to repair it. I don't see any obvious physical signs of burst caps. The machine is always on backup regulated power and surge protection. I guess it's just time. Almost 14 faithful years. With a 2 year health hiatus (mine). Any deals around? Pls keep me posted. The current one here is too pricey for me right now and I don't need any licenses, they're all on my other cards.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I did a thorough cleaning. DeOxit Gold. White eraser. Plate. Now windows recognizes an unknown device. The install drivers part of that fails. I run the Scope driver install, no error but it seems to hang. I take that back. It finally gave the same error as before. Windows recognizes something in the PCI slot before I try to install the drivers from the Scope Driver Installer. If I try to update from Device Manager, it says mismatch or something like that, however all the properties of the board are showing in device manager, (audio, midi) even as it says no driver is installed BEFORE I run the Scope Driver Installer. Then device manager shows an Unknown Device, but not in the Sounds section nor does it show as a PCI device as before. Somehow I feel a little closer to a solution. The Scope Installer has an expired or invalid certificate, is that normal?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Tried to update the drivers from device manager but it says Windows found the driver (I pointed it to the driver folder) but it says Sonic Core Scope, however it then says "Driver is not intended for this platform." It's the 64 bit driver on Win7 64. I'm going to try a Windows restore, before the last two windows updates.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

hi ronnie,

Sorry to hear about your scope pro card. If the restore doesnt work, maybe try to check the actual card itself, for example take a magnifying glass and look at the components on the card. Could it be a failing component, for example try looking at the capacitors, or maybe there are some other components that others can suggest. It might be a good idea to take a couple of close up photos of the card and post them here so we can try to spot a potential problem. But preferably, if you know a good tech or a friend who is experienced with electronics they may be able to help, but it depends on how much, as I guess you dont want to waste too much time and cash flogging a dead horse, especially when you can pick up a second hand card for a few hundred large now.

But that does bring me to a question for GaryB. What happens if a scope card dies that has a lot of devices registered to it. Is it possible to buy another second hand card (or a new XITE-1) and then transfer those devices to that, perhaps for a fee?

(I do actually need to transfer some devices myself at some point soon but that is a seperate issue and I will contact GaryB about that request directly when I can.)

But I hope you do manage to get it working though. Cheers
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

System Restore seems to have jammed up the Windows Startup. I'm doing a hard boot and see what happens. May try another restore point if no joy there.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Praise the Author of the Universe! The hard boot worked. All is well. 23 DSPs. I guess it had to do with WHAT? But the process all worked out. Now we hope for the best. Old faithful is BACK. :D
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Make that composer, arranger and conductor of the universe and 24 DSPs.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thats great to hear. And well done for persevering :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

excellent!
you should probably look for a replacement anyway.

yes, if a card fails, i can transfer devices to another card or an XITE for free, but the broken card needs to be returned to me....
Marco

Post by Marco »

God saved the card! A wonder happened! You are the chosen few!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for clarifying Gary. :)
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

You should do a fresh install of Windows. I like to do that once something like this happens. It does take a while, but starting with a fresh install always makes things work so much better anyway. Also, I usually don't re-install everything since junk apps tends to accumulate. Modern life.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Secret Test Kitchen wrote:You should do a fresh install of Windows. I like to do that once something like this happens. It does take a while, but starting with a fresh install always makes things work so much better anyway. Also, I usually don't re-install everything since junk apps tends to accumulate. Modern life.
Right ! Especialy if windows is installed since 6 or 7 years on this pc !

I'm glad it's not broken ! Excellent ! Amazing hardware !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I had to do a a refresh of 8.1 on my native machine (VSTs) last week. PITA. Windows was slowing down to the point that it started to take 45 minutes to get into it and still stuff was FUBAR. It was NOT the SSD drive, confirmed with numerous tests. So... I did the refresh and still had to rebuild the MBR so the damn machine would boot from that new install. I had a backup from just 2 days before so I was able to get a lot of stuff back. But... without the registry entries you're still mostly screwed. I had a backup but I didn't do it because God knows what that my screw-up after the refresh. Got most stuff running in a couple of days with subscription re-installs, licenses etc. If there's anything I need and it's not there or running I'll reinstall that when I need it. Now it gets into 8.1 in less than 10 seconds, as it should be on my machine. Granted it was the original install of 8.1 from 2013 or 14 so I guess it was expected.

But the issue with the Scope Pro was all about TLC on the card. Now I plan to do that to all my Scope hardware every 3 months or so, like an oil change schedule. I have the routine down: Blow off dust, DeOxit Gold, White eraser, DeOxit Gold again, wipe with DeOxit soft cloth. Clean connectors pin connectors for daughter board with DeOxit Gold and special skinny Q-Tip thingy they supply. Blow it dry, reinstall board. Blowout ADAT ports. Re seat card. Make sure card lock thingy on chassis is holding backplate correctly. The Scope stuff is like an AMG Mercedes, it needs some attention now and then.