VDAT on Windows 10x64

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Inferman

VDAT on Windows 10x64

Post by Inferman »

Hi guys!

I have moved to Win10x64 and my VDAT as well as VDATx64 lead to "Blue screen of death" every time I add it to the projects.
I've found some info about that issue here, it connected with some Win update we shouldn't apply in Win7, but since Win8 it's already there.

So what would You advise me to do now (without downgrade to lower Win versions)? How could I render projects via Scope? Is it possible?

Thank You for the tips :)
Inferman

Re: VDAT on Windows 10x64

Post by Inferman »

Or maybe there is another way to render project beyond the STM mixer with Scope effects and synths?

I've just used VDAT everytime and I don't know the other way :roll:
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

I try to remember that you have to use 'run as administrator' for scope with vdat.
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

babaorum wrote:I try to remember that you have to use 'run as administrator' for scope with vdat.
I've checked it, doesnt' help =(
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Yes, Right now VDAT just won't work.
I render my mixes back into the sequencer as new tracks/stems or full mixes.
I don't know any way to do it Scope at present.
maus
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

mausmuso wrote:Yes, Right now VDAT just won't work.
I render my mixes back into the sequencer as new tracks/stems or full mixes.
I don't know any way to do it Scope at present.
maus
Thank You, Mausmuso! Yep, it seems its the only way out ))
I just thought it could be linked with some issues in latencies or\and sync nuances?
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

You might be able to use VDAT provided you have one instance of VDAT assigned to DSP 2, and set to no more than 8 tracks (1 instance of VDAT).
I have managed to do this on win 10, VDAT x64, but it is dodgy and may not save, reload properly and/or cause lead to a BOD on exiting Scope.

I have managed to setup a VDAT x 3 (24 Channels) back in Win 7 64bit.
It worked but I could not save the project until I disconnected all IO's above Ch 8.
It's a work around for saving your project (I think) but really annoying and possibly unstable.

Using VRC (also on DSP 2) can work but may compound your issues and will not allow you any extra functionality (e.g. syncing to more than 1 VDAT or external ADAT).
On win 10 64bit, I could not find a way to use MTC/Clk (Via MIDI or ASIO) to sync VDAT to a sequencer or external ADAT (I own an ADAT and would like to sync it to Scope, but no dice).
Tried this with Cubase 9, Studio One 3, Samplitude Pro X3.
Samplitude syncing worked back in Win 7 using ASIO Clk, but that no longer works in Win 10.

BTW, I found that connecting the VRC to a VDAT (both on DSP 2) does set the VDAT to 'slave', but as I said above adds no real value if you cannot sync.
Good luck
maus
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Mausmuso, Huge thanx!
You might be able to use VDAT provided you have one instance of VDAT assigned to DSP 2, and set to no more than 8 tracks (1 instance of VDAT).
I have managed to do this on win 10, VDAT x64, but it is dodgy and may not save, reload properly and/or cause lead to a BOD on exiting Scope.
Great! Actually, it would be quite enough two tracks for me, just to render the whole mix to (pre)master file.

But how have You managed it on Win10? I cant even see the VDAT in project window, not to mention to assign it to any DSP =(
Every time I choose Plug-ins->Recording->VDAT(x64) it immediately goes to the blue screen.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I certainly have blue screens as well, but not on loading VDAT x64.
Not sure what the issue is, but maybe you could empty out your base project and load just a VDAT and see if that stops the blue screens on load.
Not sure it is worth spending too much time on this though?
More development needed.
maus
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

mausmuso wrote:Not sure what the issue is, but maybe you could empty out your base project and load just a VDAT and see if that stops the blue screens on load.
Nope, blue screen anyway, with both VDAT and VDATx64, errors with VPlay.sys and VDATMot.sys in issue description at the bottom of blue screen =(
More development needed
So true. As well as Wave Dest noise issue and DSP reached limits with 2-3 plugins opened ((
TRMP8R

Post by TRMP8R »

Often got a BSOD with VDAT on Scope 4 and also 4.5 on XP, got it to load once or twice but it never recorded without crashing.
Built completely new system, Scope v7 + Windows 10x64 - getting BSOD all the time when loading VDAT or VDATx64.
It's never ever worked for me.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That’s too bad.
I used it for backing vocals and percussion when I had 3 x Scope PRO Cards and it sounded excellent over large speaker Arrays.
Hard to distinguish what was recorded.
Native Sequencer backing tracks still have that sound like somebody hung their robe over the speaker.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Does Vdat x64 work on scope 7 and a windows 7 system?

Anybody have any joy with it?
garyb

Post by garyb »

VDAT does not work in 64bit right now.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 pm VDAT does not work in 64bit right now.
And there was me trying to record my Daw tracks into it for half an hour. I guess 5.1 has to come back out for a day.
garyb

Post by garyb »

VDAT shouldn't work in 64 bit in v5.1 either.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm VDAT shouldn't work in 64 bit in v5.1 either.
I can’t remember version but I have one working for recording. It just doesn’t save in project, maybe due to the tape being loaded.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you get it to work, great. HOWEVER, VDAT is almost 20 years old. it was never intended to work in 64bit windows, because 64bit windows was not even something that existed back then. if you use ANY version of VDAT in 64bit, you will have problems.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am if you get it to work, great. HOWEVER, VDAT is almost 20 years old. it was never intended to work in 64bit windows, because 64bit windows was not even something that existed back then. if you use ANY version of VDAT in 64bit, you will have problems.
Thanks for info Gary. I didn't know that. I use it all the time instead of consolidating in the DAW. I've always felt it gives me what I hear and doesn't interfere with the original audio.

Will it be fixed BTW?
garyb

Post by garyb »

probably, eventually.
i know that is one of the things that is being worked on for v7.1.