Scope 4.5 on Windows 7

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

geiger

Scope 4.5 on Windows 7

Post by geiger »

Hello!

My name is Adrian and I have a Creamware Luna 2 and Windows 7. Somehow I think I managed to make the sound card work for a while with Scope 4.5 on Win7 renaming some of the driver files of Scope 5 to their original names that they had when instead of SC they were named CW. Unfortunately, they are very unstable, blue screens appear, sound dragging and being torn apart.. I just want it to work in Windows 7 at 24 bit and 48khz. Could you help me a little please with some advice? I need the card to monitor my personal home recordings, but can't afford to purchase an upgrade to Scope 5, so I will have to stick to my Scope 4 license. It is very frustrating not being able to use the card.. I know there was a free upgrade to Scope 5 initially when it appeared and SC offered a free license key conversion from 4.5 to 5, but they no longer assist with that.. just asking to purchase an upgrade for more than the card's second hand price.. It is strange and very unpleasant. I hope Gary reads this.. I feel bad about it..

Thank you!
yayajohn

Re: Scope 4.5 on Windows 7

Post by yayajohn »

you can get Scope 4.5 to install on Windows 7 but 32bit only. You have to install it under compatibility mode.

Inscidentally; Purchasing the Scope 5.1 software adds resale value to your older PCI cards. Not only does it give you the Win 64bit driver, it also comes with quite a few upgraded devices and an excellent reverb package.

Good luck and welcome. :)
geiger

Post by geiger »

Thank you for your reply. I tried that, but playback in 48khz is not possible. Sometimes is.. Anyway, the Creamware concept is very cool and the divices are well built and the quality is great.. even for the old card..
garyb

Post by garyb »

so purchase v5.1 so that it can work reliably.
the cost of v5.1 is less than the cost of another card that offers less functionality. :)
RA

Post by RA »

"but they no longer assist with that.. just asking to purchase an upgrade for more than the card's second hand price.. It is strange and very unpleasant. I hope Gary reads this.. I feel bad about it.."

Adrian, are you for real? You want a front row seat with champagne for a nickle and a dime? :-?

Might as well sell it and go buy a Soundblaster card or something, or work in xp, if you "just use it to monitor".

No....now i know i sound rude saying the above, but you will get much more than just a driver upgrade. Work had to be done to make an update/upgrade, and since no one comes at my place to work for a couple months for nearly nothing (159 incl vat) i disagree and disapprove one saying it is strange and unpleasant. Be glad that it is still supported in a way. S|C is no charity organisation.

You should really rethink why you want to use a scope card, because a small investment is not too much asked to keep using this fantastic hardware. If you start using it more than just for monitoring, you'll end up buying additional cards because it is fun and great sounding what you can do with scope hardware!

Please don't take this this rather blunt answer personal, i just felt i had to give you a wakeup shake. Please feel welcome in the Scope community, as you are if you are serious, and again, the upgrade gives much more, and for monitoring alone you can also use the onboard soundcard in combination with asio4all or something.
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, it's not just a driver upgrade, the main program took more than 2 1/2 years(really!).
that's what you pay for.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Think about the final results, think about what you will be able to do and you will understand that it is a cheap and intelligent option. I would go 5.1, not only because of the rebervs: everything works better and more efficiently.

The fact that you have paid for cheap your card, it is great, sure! But why you have to compare the hardware with the software? Think in state that you are lucky enough to get such amazing cards at such extremely cheap prices. If you were to pay these cards at their real price, you would pay them about 500 Euros, that’s the real price for every Pulsar I card. You pay them low-priced because of the silly marketing competition, not because of quality downfall.

My two cents, go 5.1, cheers.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
geiger

Post by geiger »

More than one person telling me I am crazy.. so they might be right.. Taking the upgrade in consideration now.. Sorry for the trouble. Thank you guys!
garyb

Post by garyb »

v5.1 isn't perfect.
the wave drivers aren't that great in 64bit, but ASIO is perfect and the cards will do some really cool things that other audio devices won't. it depends on what you want.

download v5.1, install it, send the request string to SonicCore support in an email asking for a temporary keyfile. that way you can test it first.
geiger

Post by geiger »

WOW.. that is sooo kind of you!! I am going to use it ith Reaper on a Win 7 32 bit. Thank you Gary!
geiger

Post by geiger »

I finally had the time to install and run Scope 5.1. It is working almost perfect and I love the interface and design and sound and... You made something special there in Scope 5.. I am so amazed and excited.. There are two issues though: I have issues playing music at 44.1khz (Scope Sample rate).. it works only on 48khz.. but that is not a problem.. and the real issue: in Reaper 5, I select a an audio device ASIO SCOPE PCI, but when I click on the Configure ASIO button, Reaper becomes unresponsive and freezes and I need to terminate the process. Any ideas? Thanks!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

geiger wrote:I finally had the time to install and run Scope 5.1. It is working almost perfect and I love the interface and design and sound and... You made something special there in Scope 5.. I am so amazed and excited.. There are two issues though: I have issues playing music at 44.1khz (Scope Sample rate).. it works only on 48khz.. but that is not a problem.. and the real issue: in Reaper 5, I select a an audio device ASIO SCOPE PCI, but when I click on the Configure ASIO button, Reaper becomes unresponsive and freezes and I need to terminate the process. Any ideas? Thanks!
Don't know about the 44.1 thing - it's OK here, I do everyhting at 44.1kHz (but I'm on XITE, not PCI). As to the ASIO thing - set up how many ASIO channels you want to use in SCOPE first, before launching Reaper. Once you have the channels you want then launch Reaper and try and select the ASIO channels in Reaper. Maybe Reaper is looking for ASIO that just isn't there and crashing. That's just a guess as I don't have Reaper anymore.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you cannot configure the Scope card inside Reaper. the configuration is inside Scope. the processors on the card are external hardware as far as windows is concerned.

you must have the proper ASIO driver with the proper number of channels BEFORE opening the sequencer. once the sequencer is open, you can connect, disconnect the audio to your heart's content, but you cannot change the type or number of ASIO channels with the sequencer open.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

As well as taking the advice from the other posts, the following links might be of some help to you, courtesy of Dante and his excellent Scope related website, ScopeRise

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_21/stp_mast.htm

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_03/reaper.htm

Good luck and keep us posted
geiger

Post by geiger »

Thanks guys! I had no idea that ULLI is the ASIO panel.. In Scope 4 I remeber a window opening for ASIO with a few options. Do you know how I can use an external midi keyboard connected to the computer through a Creative Soundblaster to control the Sonic Core synths through Reaper?
pastor

Post by pastor »

In Reaper, Options, choose preferences (Or press ctrl+p). Make sure your midi inputs and outputs are enabled.
reaper1.JPG
reaper1.JPG (66.37 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
Add a track, press routing, select your scope midi output.
reaper2.jpg
reaper2.jpg (155.75 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
geiger

Post by geiger »

Thanks!!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Unrelated to your problems, but if you're using Reaper you might like to check out Space F's Reaper-Remote available here:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34737
geiger

Post by geiger »

Wow.. such a warm and helpful community. Thank you!!
geiger

Post by geiger »

Hello!

In reaper, I followed the steps to integrate it with Scope, but in reaper I can listen to he recorded track, but after rendering, that track is missing from the song. Any thoughts? This picture shows how I experimented in Scope. Thanks you!
Attachments
issue.jpg
issue.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 5765 times