BSOD in XTC mode

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Wolferich

BSOD in XTC mode

Post by Wolferich »

Help. After a good time with a stable system I have some serious trouble with my setup.

64 bit Version of Win 10 in test mode
32 bit Version of Cubase 8.5
64 bit Version of Scope 5.1

I cannot get my VST effects and Instruments to work in Cubase. I can get the Scope I/Os running in cubase but if I call up an effect I get a BSOD with the error message "page fault in non paged area".
I have already de- and reinstalled Scope 5.1 (64 bit). Strange thing here; the installer doesnt find my 3 Pulsar cards but if I scan in the Hardware Manager they appear immediatelv. Nevertheless, I suspect that then the wrong driver is installed (ver. 5.0.9.5 dated 23.11.2010) and that this is the cause of my problems.

Can this be correct and how would I have to proceed?
Sounddesigner

Re: BSOD in XTC mode

Post by Sounddesigner »

XTC Mode does not work on 64bit systems so I believe that is causing your problem. If you wish to use XTC and WAVE drivers you need Windows 32bit O/S. Only SFP Mode work in 64bit Windows so you'll need to use it. Or use 32bit O/S.

I see you are using a 32bit DAW on Windows 64bit O/S, I still think the 64bit O/S is your problem. Hopefully someone like Gary can say for sure what is the problem.

EDITED
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

I am afraid that this is not the case. My 64 bit Windows 10 with 32 bit Cubase worked flawlessly until just some weeks ago. I might have destroyed part of the setup by deleting necessary files or something changes with an update. Regarding the 64 bit Situation see here http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31553 .
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Wolferich wrote:I am afraid that this is not the case. My 64 bit Windows 10 with 32 bit Cubase worked flawlessly until just some weeks ago. I might have destroyed part of the setup by deleting necessary files or something changes with an update. Regarding the 64 bit Situation see here http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31553 .
Ah, ok. My mistake, sorry!

Hopefully someone with a 64bit system will chime in and help you, or at least someone more knowledgeable about your particular situation. Windows updates do cause problems sometimes, if the Update can be rolled-back I'd definition try that.
garyb

Post by garyb »

did you disable driver signature enforcement before trying to install Scope and the driver?
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Yes I did. I reinstalled the sriver as well as the Scope software but the effect remains the same. The moment I call up a VST effect in Cubase the system crashes. I would really need some advise.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Ph man, it is done. A fresh install of Cubase did the job. Took me some hours before I went into this because until now my things were never caused by Cubase.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Wolferich wrote:Ph man, it is done. A fresh install of Cubase did the job. Took me some hours before I went into this because until now my things were never caused by Cubase.

Glad to see you figured it out and all is fine now. When you get weird issues like that with a computer system that once worked fine then the best thing to do at times is to just start re-installing software i.e. DAW, SCOPE, Windows O/S.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Next morning - nada :-(

looking again for some ideas. New install of Cubase didnt work today.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not supposed to work....

:D
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

????
garyb

Post by garyb »

XTC mode
is
not
supposed
to
work
in
64bit

if it works in your system at any time, good for you!
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

... but it was running absolutely smooth for almosr 2 years until 2-3 weeks ago. There must be a reason that could be identified.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

If XTC worked for you before in your 32bit DAW on 64bit Windows O/S then you might have to bite-the-bullet and re-install Windows O/S, your DAW, and SCOPE, etc. You'll need to roll-back any updates and inadvertent settings-changes done to Windows O/S and Cubase by re-installing earlier versions and settings that you were using before when XTC worked. Use the earlier versions of everything such as drivers for video, etc, and it's best you only install Audio production software first to test it before you install all other unrelated software.

1. Re-install everything i.e. Windows O/S, DAW, SCOPE, Antiviris, etc.

2. Install only Music Production software at first to test and see if XTC mode works before you install everything else. You don't want things like Antivirus installed in the beginning cause Antivirus can delete files and block or limit access for your needed programs.

3. Make sure you use earlier versions of Cubase and Windows O/S, i.e. the version numbers that worked for you for 2 years. Do not re-install any current updates that were not used when you had a working XTC system.

There are many things that can cause problems so it's too difficult to guess what it is. It can be settings changes made to Windows O/S or Cubase, it can be a corruption of Windows O/S, it can be a rogue update, it can be something like Antivirus deleting files or blocking access. You've used a lot of time trying to figure out the problem and at this point your time might be better spent just re-installing everything.

If you get it working again consider yourself lucky cause XTC on a 64bit system might not be the best way to use SCOPE. Preserve the working system and be carefull going forward.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you might be able to do a system restore..
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

I`m gonna try this tonight. Had some installs since I last used VST plug ins successfully. Hopefully this will help. ´`m bound to the 64 bit Environment due to my Video Software.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

It didnt work. I think I have a problem with the install process of the driver. Dont really know what else I can try now. I would strongly prefer to avoid a full reset of the System if somehow possible.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

After several attempts and hours the system works again. Reinstalling of Cubase or Scope software was not the thing. It seems that deleting some leftovers of earlier driver installations (unused Scope audio entries in device manager) made the XTC mode work again. Unfortunately I can´t verify this but that was the only configuration change I remember doing before XTS started to word again. I do not trust the situation by 100 % and still expect a bad surprise after every new start of the system but until now it looks stable.

@ garyb I understand that the 64 bit Windows scenario is not supoorted but I think that I am not the only user who is forced by circumstances to use a 64 bit Version of Windows. For these poor guys it would be very helpful if there would be a specific place in this forum to collect 64 bit related troubleshooting experiences, don´t you think so? For sure it would be even better to have a supported version of Scope software :-).
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

@Wolferich.

there is a Scope XTC folder towards the bottom of the main PlanetZ page :wink:
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Yes, there is an XTC subforum but I am referring to 64 bit related issues that could be concentrated in order to develop a Kind of troubleshootig guide for "until now not supported but sometimes running" 64 bit version of Windows.