pops, clicks and audio dropouts on windows 10

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

pops, clicks and audio dropouts on windows 10

Post by Joey »

After having run trouble free for forever, lately I am experiencing pops and audio dropouts. I have tried loads of solutions, including installing a new graphics card, but the pops remain. I have run out of ideas, so I am looking for some help here. Any suggestions?

I am also using a Steinberg UR824, no problems there. But when you are used to the scope environment, that's quite a step backwards.

thanks in advance, Joseph

I am using a Pulsar 1 PCI on a Windows system. Scope 5.1. I have recently upgraded from windows 7 to win 10. I work in Cubase 8.5.
Mobo Asus P8h67—M pro rev 1.xx CPU Intel core i5 2300 2.80 GHz.
garyb

Re: pops, clicks and audio dropouts on windows 10

Post by garyb »

Pulsar1 on a socket 1155?
that's not likely to work at all.

the pulsar1 is almost 18 years old. the socket 1155 motherboards were the first ones to eliminate native PCI support. none of them work correctly. it's a bad combination.

in any case, did you disable EIST(Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) and any turbo or hyperthreading in the bios? those features interfere with realtime audio.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thanks, will try that.
the pulsar has been running on this motherboard for quite a few years without problems, so I would say that combination is probably not the problem.

Joseph
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the combo isn't optimal, but if you disable those items, it should work for you as well as ever.

there's also this:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31345 :)
fidox

Post by fidox »

Joey wrote:I have recently upgraded from windows 7 to win 10.
So, that's the only thing you've changed from when it was working fine ?
Or , did you also change any hardware ?

Like Gary already pointed, disable almost everything you can, in bios, windows (services that are not needed),
latest drivers (graphic, chipset, sata...).
Joey

Post by Joey »

thanks, guys.
I disabled turbo (EIST was already disabled) and so far, so good.

Let's see what happens in the long run.

Joey
garyb

Post by garyb »

Turbo and Hyperthreading use virtual cores to process, but virtual cores must be calculated by real cores. if real cores are doing the calculation, realtime processes like Scope audio will be late and you'll get pops and clicks wherever data is missing because of lateness.

for offline processes, Turbo and HT are a more efficient use of resources and allow the cpu to do more work, but for realtime processes, they slow the processor down. you cannot get something for nothing.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

I have had so much problems with clicks and droputs with my two Pulsar2 cards on ASUS socket 1150, and I tried changing all the recommended settings in Windows 10 and BIOS but nothing helped.
So I bought a RME Fireface UCX and use it with Buffer size 128 samples and 3,6 ms latency and I have never heard a click or dropout anymore when working in Cubase.
Isn't it so that Creamware cards simply are to old to use as soundcards anymore.

But I will keep my Pulsar2 cards, I run them through SPDIF to UCX and still using the Synthesizers.