STM1632 Mixer problems, project corruption?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

gruebleengourd

STM1632 Mixer problems, project corruption?

Post by gruebleengourd »

I'm having regular difficulties with my projects getting corrupted resulting in strange behavior with the STM1632 mixer. I'm not really sure if the problem resides with the mixer or perhaps with the ADAT inputs getting corrupted.

What happens is when I open the project, certain channels from an ADAT input will not produce sound. For example, I have audio coming in on all 8 channels, however, only 5/6 and 7/8 produce any sound in the mixer. I can remove that particular adat input, and then add it back to the project and after doing so, I will get a single channel from the stereo pair, so now I get inputs 1 3 5/6 7/8.

Additionally, I will get clicks every now and then on channels from this problem adat input with the corrupted project. It is not an issue with the sync or the physical connections, as I can open up a backup project and everything works.

Also, sometimes a channel (in this case the stereo channel connected to inputs 5/6 will show metering, but produce no sound. If I solo that channel and then unsolo it, the sound returns.

These are big projects with a lot of inputs -- 5 x ADAT and 2x Z-link on a 3x Scope Pro system.

Are there known bugs with STM1632? I could switch to another mixer, I use it mostly for a mix of dsp economy/function/familiarity, but I have other options.

Is there a way to avoid projects being corrupted? I'm saving as I go along, but when I open up the project later, somethings gone amiss. This has happened a few times. I'd rather not have to build projects from scratch each time...
garyb

Re: STM1632 Mixer problems, project corruption?

Post by garyb »

it's not a 1632 bug, but it might indicate a bigger problem.

what i would suspect is that one or more of your S/TDM cables are bad.
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

garyb wrote:it's not a 1632 bug, but it might indicate a bigger problem.

what i would suspect is that one or more of your S/TDM cables are bad.
Ah thanks for the tip. That could be it. I just remembered I was having similar weirdness with some midi issues, internal synths not triggering, but midi outs working fine.

On a 3 pro card system, does it make much difference if all STDM connections are used or can I drop one without much loss of performance?
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can certainly drop one.

if you have more than one, use one at a time to find the bad cable.
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

It turns out one of the STDM cables had separated from the middle card. After resetting the cable, it seems like the problem is resolved. thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)