A16 Ultra power supply

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

iskra

A16 Ultra power supply

Post by iskra »

I have had an A16 Ultra Mk1 sadly sit in cupboard for some time, but I now have more space which gives me the opportunity to use it :)

However I don't have the right power supply for it. I found a 12V AC 1amp, power supply, which works, but I am worried the current is not enough so might damage it. AC/AC power transformers with the right amps are very hard to find. I contacted Ferrofish about new power supply, but they are very expensive, partly because I am in Australia (we have 240v power btw)

I found these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UK-Replaceme ... xy039TKXGW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-AC-MAINS- ... SwHnFVnrmI

will these work? & what current do I want...I'm presuming 2000mA because its closer to original??
garyb

Re: A16 Ultra power supply

Post by garyb »

either one.
the one you have is probably ok, too. generally, bigger is better, within reason, because the A16 won't use more than it needs. if you get a cheap adapter, i'd get the bigger one, just because a cheap adapter's ratings are probably generous.
a cheap adapter might be noisy.
you may need to change the end.
astroman

Post by astroman »

an AC Adapter is just a transformer, they aren't noisy at all
but you should be close to the ampere rating that's printed on the unit
too low and the load may drop power below the level the stabilizer inside the A16 needs for proper operation
too high will cause excessive heat because the transformer provides much higher output voltage if loaded too low
if it's a 2A rating then the transformer inside a 12V 25W halogen lamp fits

cheers, Tom
iskra

Post by iskra »

Thanks for quick replies, this site is always helpful - it really is one of the great things about using the scope cards

I'm still in a dilemma, the 2Amp one is probably the one I want, but looking at the connector end, it does look slightly different than one I have that fits currently & I don't want to have be soldering on a new end (or searching for another few days for a clip on converter) ...maybe I should just get the Ferrofish one at three times the price...aaah

whatever I end up doing, thanks for replies in any case :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, get the right one...
David

Post by David »

astroman

Post by astroman »

no, they don't...
the 1st doc is about transformer hum (not dyna-moe) :D
you can call this a low frequency 'noise' in language, but it's not that broadband noise (associated with the term in audio)

the latter is discussed in the 2nd doc, but those devices aren't transformers then (made from iron and 2 coils)
a good switching PSU (with few noise emission) is a fairly expensive construction
the cheapos are generally annoying and spoil every line in their sourrounding

cheers, Tom
David

Post by David »

I was basing my response on a very noisy Pacarana power supply I have here, whilst not a wall wart and claimed to be a decent power supply, it is the one that has a constant very audible whine. This is the physical noise of the psu, and not present in the audio path, though it does interfere with audio within the room.
Two of the keyboard psu I use produce a low freq hum
The modem psu is the worst
I'd always put up with this noise before as it blends, albeit annoyingly, with Computer noise and after reading the articles on psu noise had come to the conclusion that some psu can make noise.
Now I'm thinking that perhaps theres something else going on the power supply setup I have as it's followed me through moving home.
Thanks for the response, I'm just sharing my experiences and not intending to steer anyone wrong with incorrect information.

The Xite-1 power supply, on the otherhand, has always been silent.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I hear ya ... :D
the most annoying I remember was the standby-mode of Apple's 1st gen iMacs (colored plastic models)
had to unplug the cable to stop the 12khz tone
in a quiet environment a lot of switching PSU have noticable emissions, which are missed in typical office scenarios
my NAD preamp and a phantom power unit both have low frequency transformer hum (resonating tin cases)

cheers, Tom