PCI Master Overflow Problem

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Oswald-K

PCI Master Overflow Problem

Post by Oswald-K »

This error message drives me crazy.

I bought a new board a few months ago, but everything worked fine after some changes bios and windows. Then I had to move in another appartment and I haven't spend time making music for months. Now everything plugged in again and I want to make music.

But unfortunately there is this PCI Overflow and I don't remeber what I could have changed.

Someone an idea?

MY OS is Windows 7 64-bit
fidox

Re: PCI Master Overflow Problem

Post by fidox »

did you try with different ULLI settings ?
which samplerate settings are you using ?
do you have any other pci slot to try on other slot ?
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

Yes I have tried different slots.

The shorter the latency time, the more often the PCI Overflow Problem comes.

I can click "Retry" which solves the problem, but after a few actions it comes again, even if i set the latency to 34 ms.
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

Thank you for your reply.

The samplerate is set to 44.1 KHz. If scope is master or my digimax (connectet via ADAT) is master seems to make a little difference (It works for a little bit longer when digimax is master), but I'm not sure.
fidox

Post by fidox »

ok, i'm not familiar with digimax, so,
if you try to work just with scope , without digimax, how's then ?
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

digimax is an ADAT Interface

I guess it works a little bit worse then, but it's not easy to say. But it shouldn't be the problem.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Blow clean the ADAT sockets ......?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Post by garyb »

basically that message means that data traveling down the PCI bus is either delayed or constipated.

many things might cuase that message, plugins that you're using in Live, plugins you're using in Scope, a hardware issue, something running in the backround, etc.

what motherboard/processor are you running? which cards do you have? what new plugin?
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 <- The gpu is also new, it could -maybe- cause some issues

Soundcard: Pulsar II Classic with 6 DSPs

Another idea: Could it also maybe be caused by the PCI Latency Timer settings in BIOS? How do I find out, what is the right PCI lateny for my system?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the PCI latency timer settings shouldn't have much effect.

what is the Pulsar2 sharing irqs with?

is this a problem with all projects or just one or two? what is in the projects that don't work?

what vsts are you using? how many ASIO channels?

have you done a masterverb test? in a completely empty project, how many masterverbs can you open before PCI overload?
fidox

Post by fidox »

Oswald-K wrote: Another idea: Could it also maybe be caused by the PCI Latency Timer settings in BIOS? How do I find out, what is the right PCI lateny for my system?

probably not

also, i didn't have any problems with gpu cards so far, no matter, nvidia, ati ....
garyb

Post by garyb »

a corrupt graphics driver will cause PCI overflow....
if the GPU isn't working correctly, it will offload the work to the CPU.
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

I remembered I have a harddisk where I installed Win XP 32 when I bought the new board. But I decided then to turn to win 7 64 and put it away

So I started now this xp32system and everything works perfect!

I had only installed Ableton 8 and no vst plugins, but I'm glad that I can make music for now. Who needs VST when you have a Scope Card? ;-)

But the win7x64 system did also work before I moved into the new appartment, something has changed, I don't know what....
dante

Post by dante »

Card come loose during move ? Clean the contacts - reseat the card / change slot (per fidox) ?
fidox

Post by fidox »

i'm always looking for latest drivers for my cards and everything.
like someone once mentioned here, i have purchased drivertoolkit and now i can find/install everything i need for mobo, chipset,
but for cards (graphic) i always do manual search and install drivers.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

definitely do a masterverb test and report your results on that thread. A search might find someone who has already done that with that particular motherboard.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Oswald-K wrote:But the win7x64 system did also work before I moved into the new appartment, something has changed, I don't know what....
At your first post, you said you made some changes in BIOS & windows... Maybe, you should analyse that carefully... What changes did you make ?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Oswald-K

Post by Oswald-K »

The thing is I made theese changes before I moved - a few months ago. Unfortantely I don't know if there are changes I forgot...

But the Bios settings should be right. On my XP32 partition I can make music and it works aboslutely fine.

So it seems to be a windows setting on my win7x64 partition. I have tried different ways to install the newest graphics drivers, I also used a software to remove the old nvidia drivers before reinstalling.

Guess I have to reinstall windows and try it again. But I dread installing all the thousand VST-PlugIns and stuff I use...
fidox

Post by fidox »

Oswald-K wrote:... installing all the thousand VST-PlugIns and stuff I use...
i know how it is and it takes a lot of time ...

i would try to re-install scope software, deleting scope drivers for cards in device manager, installing back.

how long you have windows 7 now installed , is it fresh install ?

just thinking

btw... i can just confirm that windows 10 pro and home 64bit version works very nice, 2 different machines, (6 cards together), everything connected (synced) thru adat / digital in/out,
running 2 sequencers at the same time, using a lot of vst's, works very nice ... :)
ofcourse i had some problems, but now i have learned, that when i have all proper drivers installed, a lot of things disabled / bios / windows, then i'm testing little, before installing everything back .... i guess i have too much time for doing all this :D