Saving Scope project

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Saving Scope project

Post by JoPo »

Sometimes, when I'm working on a Scope project during 1 or 2 hours, then save it, Scope crashes... :x And everything I did since that time is lost (you already know what kind of unpleasantry result you get when similar things happen) and my poor Scope project file weight is 0kb, 0Mb, 0Gb, 0 byte, not enough to contain my huge Xite-1 project :D ... Ok, I load the backup... but sometimes, in 1 or 2 hours, one makes huge changes.
That happend also with my ancient pc, so I guess it happens certainly for other users..?

Now, I use to save the Scope project as soon as it's loaded because I noticed that when it has been already saved one time, Scope never crashes when saving again. But sometimes, I forget to save it after I load ... And maybe (?) some smarter Scope user than me has found a way to avoid that annoyance..?

If you have some ideas, solutions ... I'll study them carefully ! :wink:

Thanks a lot !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Re: Saving Scope project

Post by garyb »

i've never seen this.

what is sharing an irq with the XITE?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Aah ! IRQ's ! I already tried everything... Can't do better.
garyb

Post by garyb »

is PCI Express Link State Power Management disabled in the power settings?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Everything is already disabled in power settings. I would be astonished to be the only one who have that issue.

It doesn't happend all the time : sometimes, I forgot to save the project after loading and nothing special happens. It is unpredictable.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote:Sometimes, when I'm working on a Scope project during 1 or 2 hours, then save it, Scope crashes... :x
Which Windows OS ?
I´ve seen a corrupted project file only for 1 time since using XITE-1/ SCOPE 5.1 w/ WIN XP SP3 32Bit.
One of the (automatic) backups saved my ass, numbered 1 or 2.
Only the lates file number 0 was corrupted.

I´ve never seen SCOPE crashing,- never.
It just only didn´t load that file mentioned above.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Lucky guy ! It's not a corrupt file issue, it's just that sometimes Scope crashes when saving. It happend with my ancient pc and with the new one, it happens even more often. That's why I'm surprise I'm the only one. I don't know what it could be if it's not the computer !! :o Maybe the house ? Bad vibes ? Angry Earth ? Planet X arrival ? :P
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't know either. :)
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

scope is the most stable thing on the pc... but crashes also under very rare circumstances...
I had some issues with the saving hardisks e few months ago... and with usb hubs as well...
It was a state where I also had bluescreens....
Can you check please that all of your Scope Project staf is being saved at the same or at "WORKING" hardisks.... ??
guppy

Post by guppy »

I've always had this kind of behavior with scope, not exactly the same, but scope crashes always after some hours when i load something heavy in scope or when i try to save .
I think it's about memory, because if i wait 2 or 3 hours without touching it, scope comes back, but it's totally random.
It happened when i was using the cards, and now with the xite1...I used to live with it, but i'm sure there's something wrong somewhere. It happens with different motherboards, graphic cards, scope cards...it's in the software.
I'm not sure that it was there with scope 4.0, cause i wasn't using scope as i'm using it now, but i remember that i have found very old discussion about it in Planetz.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not the Scope software, although it may be a combination of the Scope software and something else in the computer. as i said, this NEVER happens on my machine, or on any of the machines that i've been involved with(at least that i know of).
guppy

Post by guppy »

i'd like it would be the case, but it has been on many computers i used, cards or xite1, and i tried to change everything on them, many hardware tested.
I'd really like to know what is the problem.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's something in the way the computer is set up.
if it was the Scope program, it would happen to everyone, or nearly everyone.

that shouldn't happen, although i have no way of telling why it happens to you. i would guess it's a shared irq. USB on the same irq is the main reason that i've seen Scope crash.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I went to check if I could disable some USB's. But Xite doesn't share any irq with any usb. I disabled several usb's and kept only usb's I must keep. That didn't change nothing on the Xite irq : they are exactly the same :
IRQ.jpg
IRQ.jpg (97.63 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
And I find Xite share its irq (IRQ 16) with a lot of things, like the graphic card ! But there is no way to change that ! So disabling usb's, in my case, seems to have no effect. I'll check, anyway, if there is benefit but I'm affraid it will change nothing.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can see if it works better in another slot.

i'm not saying that the problem is definitely an irq issue, only that USB is the main reason Scope will crash....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes ! That's exactly what I just did : I exchange my 2 pcie cards : Xite & firewire controler for my powercore.

I hope the powercore will still work a well as it was.. And now, I need a lot of time to be sure it's better.
IRQ2.jpg
IRQ2.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

good luck!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I didn't had to wait that much ! Scope crashed after saving 3 mn after loading a project ! All I did : disabling 75% of usb's + changing Xite pcie card slot are useless !

So... It's not usb's, pcie bus doesn't change nothing and Xite irq had changed after moving it in another pcie slot. Then... What ? Why is there so people here who never have that kind of issue and other, like me, who have it ??

My MB is : B85M-G-ASUS-2501, good chipset for Scope... What could it be ? Ram ? Hard drive (come on !) ? Screen ( :D ) ? Bad local vibes (I live in country side, there is forest & weat fields all around, I understood bad vibes are in town) ? Haunted house ?

Anyway.... That's NOT fair.

just disabling USB controllers is a useless activity. this would only help if there was an irq conflict(even if windows said "no conflicts").

of course the IRQ changed after moving slots! that's how it works.

you house could be haunted, but it's problably something in the computer...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

midi active sense?

Your problem is weird, to me.

I' m using a Xite-1 with a laptop though and i mainly use the sdk software.
But i do use the normal software occasionally and i have never experienced this.

I remember very old ago i had crashes (i' m talking around 2004 with the PCI systems)
on scope saving due to modular patches.

If you use Modulars you may test some projects without any of these to check behavior.

I know that "active sensing" midi message should be
filtered before sending the midi signal to devices because this could lead to crashes and i do it
just as a precaution not because i have experienced any crash.

(i filter the sequencer and physical midi with a midi filter module before routing the signal to a device)
i.e. Copperlan sends active sensing.

my system is win 7 professional 32bit, on a Fujitsu Life-book A series with i5-3230M Quad Core 3rd gen. 4GB memory.
I use the on-board GPU of the processor (hd4000)
i don't have any dedicated graphics adapter. Old type of disk drive, no SSD)

Very good performance, never experience any crash.
I have internet on, no antivirus, no system restore, disabled aero and stuff, 2 monitors OK.
Automatic updates off, and in general the only thing i update manually is the adobe flash, and Firefox.
No bios tweaks, i don't even know how to see the IRQ's.

And this is my main PC that
i do developing, web browsing, graphic design (Photoshop, illustrator, In-design, 3DS max), programming (VC++ 2008),
and i watch films, nothing else, no gaming (forgot i also write music :) ).

The only misbehavior was related to the htdm cable that if i move it the software will crash (lost communication etc),
but i have it now in a position that i never move it and i think for more than a 5 months i can't remember a single crash due to this.

In this machine i have also windows XP virtual box (oracle) because i run old Logic for the score editing
and some other apps, and yesterday i found how to make the virtual XP to access both my screens
(ok the story of my life).

It works.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I'm very careful with all midi data that go inside Scope : it's all filtered and only what is needed enters in Scope/Xite. For that, I use cubase transformer midi plugin in order to avoid any useless midi data to go in Scope. You can see an example here : http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 8&p=313510&

As I had exactly the same issue with my ancient pc, I'm very amazed to see there are so little people who has those troubles. That's why I try to find what it could be !! If it's not the pc !! The house ? The dog ? The village ? :D