Set "CPU Affinity" to CORE 0 to use 64bit Scope ASIO

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dbmac

Set "CPU Affinity" to CORE 0 to use 64bit Scope ASIO

Post by dbmac »

I'm searching for other users' experience with this issue: Any program using Scope 5.1 ASIO has to be set to use only Core 0 to prevent extreme audio distortion - constant clicks. This is on a 64-bit Win 10 OS. The BIOS and Windows power-saving options are disabled, and all IRQ conflicts eliminated (disabled USB ports).
I have a dual-boot setup and the 32bit OS does not have this problem.
I am able to work around the problem with the Task manager/Set Affinity option (thanks GaryB) but I would like to have access to all my system resources. Any wisdom out there?

Thanks,
Dave
M-Board: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58 Express Chipset, CPU: Intel i7 3.6ghz 775 LGA1366, Video: RADEON HD 5450 Dual head, 12GB Kingston Ram,
Xite1, Scope 7, WIN 10, Cubase 7.5, Samplitude Pro X3 Suite
JoPo

Re: Set "CPU Affinity" to CORE 0 to use 64bit Scope ASIO

Post by JoPo »

Some months ago I build a new pc. I had a lot of clik & pop sounds issue. I guess you already disabled freq boost and all things you should disabled in the bios. You can increase Scope priority (in task mabager) with a .bat Scope start file ; I can give it to you if you don't know how to do.
All these decreased my crackling sounds but there was still some. I used the MB graphics.. Then I tried a better graphic card --> no more a single clliK !

I can see you already use a radeon... So I'm affraid there must be something else in your pc. The only way to be sure would be to try another graphic card... If you know someone who could lend one to you.

Good luck !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Post by garyb »

does your computer have UEFI? if so, make the bios changes there.
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Thanks for input.
*jopo - I've tried all the CPU priority options with Scope.exe and the DAW exe - no change. I wondered about the video card, it's the cheapest dual-head I could find, but it doesn't seem to be a graphics conflict. It seems to relate to the Windows cpu core-switching activity, and only in the 64bit boot. This problem existed in Win7 before I "upgraded" to 10.
Changing ULLI settings also has no effect.

*gary - my mboard uses BIOS.

/d
M-Board: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58 Express Chipset, CPU: Intel i7 3.6ghz 775 LGA1366, Video: RADEON HD 5450 Dual head, 12GB Kingston Ram,
garyb

Post by garyb »

a poorly working video card will appear to be fine, but it will offload redraws to the CPU instead of using the GPU...

possibly the dual-boot is part of the issue. it's possible that Scope or other programs are using files from the wrong partition, especially if you are using projects made on the other partition...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote:especially if you are using projects made on the other partition...
Sure ! That would not be a good idea ! But for a project completely done on the 64bit partition, I don't see how it would be possible there is an issue.
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Yeah, I've already checked that possibility - I removed the 32bit boot and it had no change. The 64bit Scope 5.1 has no paths to the 32bit install, and all projects are from scratch.
I guess trying another graphics card is my only unexplored option. Again, very strange to me that the issue doesn't exist with the 32bit boot.

Tks for reading,
/dave
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes.. That's strange, like computers... :D Try to find a graphic card to make a test, to be sure video is or is not the issue. After that, you can test the ram. Maybe with the 64 bit partition, the pc uses a bad memory module... I'm thinking about what it could be, I'm thinking.....

Could it be the motherboard ? Between 32 & 64 bit systems, does a MB uses exactly the same thingamajig ? ? ? ? ? That would worth a try... After ...
m.my91

Post by m.my91 »

dbmac wrote:I'm searching for other users' experience with this issue: Any program using Scope 5.1 ASIO has to be set to use only Core 0 to prevent extreme audio distortion - constant clicks. This is on a 64-bit Win 10 OS. The BIOS and Windows power-saving options are disabled, and all IRQ conflicts eliminated (disabled USB ports).
I have a dual-boot setup and the 32bit OS does not have this problem.
I am able to work around the problem with the Task manager/Set Affinity option (thanks GaryB) but I would like to have access to all my system resources. Any wisdom out there?

Thanks,
Dave
hello
do you think it's possible to install scope 5.0 in a virtual XP 32 bit on a windows 7 64 bit os?
thanks
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

I don't know about that. I'm on Win10.

>JoPo - computer strangeness indeed. I've tried every system & BIOS option I can find,
pored over endless knowledge base articles, there doesn't seem to be a "soft" fix. I've been struggling with this for months.

Time to start removing hardware. Oh boy!

Thanks for the input guys

/dave
dawman

Post by dawman »

UEFI is cloud control...a bunch of crap.
I like a BIOS that Windows can't "help" you with...
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Really man, hands off my motherboard MF!!
medway

Post by medway »

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem (see my other thread). Setting CPU affinity to 0 solved it but of course was not practical.

I happen to have a pocket size Behringer USB soundcard on my system which feeds optically into Scope. This is so I can listen to WMP and Spotify without dropouts from the Scope Wave drivers.

I tried clocking Scope to the Behringer and my Cubase dropouts seem to be gone now.

I've played the same session over and over about 100 times trying every single tweak in BIOS, Windows services, and Cubase and this seems to have been the culprit the whole time.

Perhaps Scope has an issue maintaining clock while using multiple cores? No idea but hopefully this has solved it for me.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, clock is clock. if Scope is master, then it's clock is absolute. it's the software that appears to not be following the Scope clock. whatever. if the USB clock being mater works for everything, then that's ok. how are you slaving Scope to the Behringer clock?
astroman

Post by astroman »

he uses the Behringer S/PDIF :o
I wouldn't even dare thinking of this for one second ...

cheers, Tom
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

For the record I solved my problem with a BIOS setting that I had overlooked - the CPU Core Feature "C3/C6/C7 State Support" was enabled. Disabling it cured my audio glitches. Hooray!
I have to be more thorough when I check the system :roll:

/dave
medway

Post by medway »

astroman wrote:he uses the Behringer S/PDIF :o
I wouldn't even dare thinking of this for one second ...

cheers, Tom
Why? It works fine I can tell you :) That device also rated quite high on nwavguy's blog.
medway

Post by medway »

dbmac wrote:For the record I solved my problem with a BIOS setting that I had overlooked - the CPU Core Feature "C3/C6/C7 State Support" was enabled. Disabling it cured my audio glitches. Hooray!
I have to be more thorough when I check the system :roll:

/dave

Good to know. I saw that listed in Sonnicore's site but haven't found it in my BIOS yet, will keep looking. I solved my issue finally with disabling some networking services so ignore what I wrote. It seemed to work initially but wasn't the cause, not surprising as logically it didn't make any sense.

EDIT: found it, was set to Auto, now Disabled. Not sure if it was needed but can't hurt. Thanks for mentioning.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

JoPo wrote:... You can increase Scope priority (in task manager) with a .bat Scope start file ; I can give it to you if you don't know how to do...
Here's great utility (up to Win 7) that will set priority and save it (no .bat file needed!). Also gives great info on running processes which can give insight into what can be killed, if necessary. It's free for non-commercial use.

Prio
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

garyb wrote:does your computer have UEFI? if so, make the bios changes there.
Gary, could you please elaborate (I am also banging my head trying to eliminate clicks and pops ... And perhaps IRQ conflicts)
Are there any changes that should be made under the UEFI section in the bios ?
(i7, win7, scope PCI)

I couldnt find any references to this on the board or the soniccore site ...

Thanks