HP XW6200 Firewire

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ripper

HP XW6200 Firewire

Post by Ripper »

Hi guys.
I know this is not a HP related forum, but we all know about the hp xw workstations here, a lot ;)

So, here it goes:
I have a XP6200 with windows 7 for my 2 scope pro's and a Pulsar II. It works great for that purpose and I only have good thing the mention about the machine related to Scope.
The problem I am facing now is with firewire. I need to control my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 but the HP just ignores any firewire device I connect through it. I have a especific firewire card that is mentioned in the hp website as the one for this workstation, and also have a via and a TI one.

They all get installed and are visible without any errors in the device manager. I already tried the several driver types (legaccy and so on) and no joy.
If this worked it would be much easier for me, once that this way I would not need to have a laptop dedicated to just configuring the saffire.

Is theres anything I'm missing here?
ronnie

Re: HP XW6200 Firewire

Post by ronnie »

Cable? {Jus cuz u no mention dat}
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

ronnie wrote:Cable? {Jus cuz u no mention dat}
Na!
It works either in the laptop or in the other Scope Pc with windows 10/8/8.1 and 7. ;)
garyb

Post by garyb »

bad card?
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

garyb wrote:bad card?
All 3 FireWire cards I have work on the other pc. I will try them again this weekend in both machines, but this is weird.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Windows sees the 1394 device in Device Manager, yeah? OHCI? But doesn't see the Focusrite?
If Windows doesn't see the device, then I would check that the PCIe slots in your motherboard aren't disabled in the BIOS...

Can you see the Focusrite getting power (maybe it isn't bus powered..)? Or any light on the Focusrite to indicate that it's made a firewire connection back to the host?

Check msinfo32.exe to see if there's sharing with Scope... Try removing Scope cards too, leaving just the Firewire card in, see what happens..
Any other Firewire device you could try?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Eanna wrote:Windows sees the 1394 device in Device Manager, yeah? OHCI? But doesn't see the Focusrite?
If Windows doesn't see the device, then I would check that the PCIe slots in your motherboard aren't disabled in the BIOS...

Can you see the Focusrite getting power (maybe it isn't bus powered..)? Or any light on the Focusrite to indicate that it's made a firewire connection back to the host?

Check msinfo32.exe to see if there's sharing with Scope... Try removing Scope cards too, leaving just the Firewire card in, see what happens..
Any other Firewire device you could try?
The 1394 device is in Device Manager, OHCI or not, it is found. Yeap, it just doesn't see the Focusrite.

Focusrite is powered, no light indicating firewire connection.

The only thing I didn't try yet is removing the Scope cards, which is one that I will do this weekend. I'm affraid about the Scope's project getting screwed by the re-setting of the cards, but will do it anyway.

My handycam camcorder isn't seen too.

Thank you all for the help
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

If Windows doesn't see the device, then I would check that the PCIe slots in your motherboard aren't disabled in the BIOS
HP XW workstations have an ACPI compliant BIOS.
Windows 7 is an ACPI enabled OS, so Windows 7 is in charge of hardware.
Disabling or enabling devices in the BIOS setup doesn't have effect on what Windows Device Manager discovers in your XW workstation.
Last edited by vascomusic on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Cleanum contacts on cable and socket?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

ronnie wrote:Cleanum contacts on cable and socket?
I have put all 3 fireWire cards in the Windows 10 pc and they all worked with the focusrite.
I will try all of them in the hp removing the sc cards this weekend. I always postpone touching it because the hp is inside a rack.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Hi guys.

I can inform you that without any changes, sudenly the xw6200 simply recognized the saffire and is working fine.

Now... (hu...) how can I setup asioforall to have both asio devices working in reaper? I can make it have them appearing in the inputs but in the outputs there is only the saffire ones.

Thank you all.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

I did one test with the other Scope pc with windows 10 x64 and noticed that with Reaper x32 I can see the output Scope ports (with Asio4All) but a BSOD crashes the pc.
In Reaper x64 the Scope ports aren't visible as previously mentioned.

For now I'm set, once that I can work with the 8 channels from the Saffire's Optical port, which makes 16 if I ad the 8 from the Alesis AI3, plus the analogs it the 3 scope/pulsar cards. But I am stubborn... :D