System crashes ASIO

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

System crashes ASIO

Post by winger »

My system has 1 scope(15dsp) pci, and 2 pulsar 2 cards and I am using ASIO. Simple setup. Primarily audio i/o. I am developing audio software with JUCE, and any program using scope asio that crashing will cause an BSOD andreboot. Very painful when debugging software. Solving problems takes a long time when you have to reboot and reload everything when something goes wrong. This is not limited to my code. Trying to use Jack for windows can cause this. Even Sonar though it is quite rare with it.

I have 2 similar systems and they both have this issue. On windows 7 if I got caught an execption with the debugger, I could terminate scope before stopping debugging I could sometimes avoid the BSOD. I am now running windows 10 on my main development system and it does an immediate reboot (No BSOD) and I get no chance to prevent it.

Been a while since I actual got a BSODs but I think they always pointed to the scope.sys. I believe the it is related to ASIO drivers.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks, Mark
mark winger
Eanna

Re: System crashes ASIO

Post by Eanna »

Might portaudio.dll be the common issue? I have struggles with portaudio with Scope.

Re-running the Scope installer can help...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Guess you could try upping the ulli rates in scope ASIO too. And check for irq sharing. I improved stability I believe when I disabled some devices sharing irq with Scope.
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

When asio crashes, always go to the task manager (to the services) and force quit scope.exe before pressing ok to the
"this app has crashed" window. This should help with the bsods.

I' m using win 7-32 bit.
winger

Post by winger »

Portaudio has nothing to do with it, that is jack. This has been happening without jack. If jackd crashes I get the same problem I get with any other ap.

Mark
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

"When asio crashes, always go to the task manager (to the services) and force quit scope.exe before pressing ok to the
this app has crashed" window. This should help with the bsods."

This worked with windows 7, but in windows 10 I get immediate reboot. No app has crashed dialog, not even BSOD.

Mark
mark winger
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

That's a pity.

Perhaps you can develop in a win7 system everything asio related and then test in win10?

With bsod's during development it must be a nightmare...
winger

Post by winger »

Remembering when I got the errors caught in windows 7, it was the scope driver writing outside of the memory space. My guess is when the app crashes, the driver does not know and still makes the callback for audio data. I've never written a driver, but it seems to me the driver needs to catch the exception and quit to avoid the bsod.

An app crashing should never cause the os to go down, and neither should drivers.
mark winger