Windows Downgrade

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Windows Downgrade

Post by dawman »

Can I downgrade to Windows 8.1 even though I built these last 2 towers from scratch using 2 brand new fucking worthless 140 dollar Windows 10 DickVDs.....?

I bought their fucked up software, and if they really care about customers there must be a way to do this without getting ripped off by companies pretending to be Micro$oft.

I will gladly buy Windows 7 again if I have to but I'd rather not continue to throw money out of the Window (no pun intended).

Ankyu
hubird

Re: Windows Downgrade

Post by hubird »

One of the biggest mistakes of Creamware/Sonic/Core:
having failed realising OSX support.

Not even one alternative available, except pre-historical OS9.

Good luck with your system's systems :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

OSX is an even bigger headache.
that wasn't a mistake, it's just been impossible.

Windows is easier.

SonicCore would LOVE to be able to make an OSX version, however. there have even been attempts to hire OSX programmers. the problem is that OSX changes even faster than Windows. that's what made S/C move towards v6, which would be cross platform. the big problem there is that some of the programming elements like JUCE don't actually work like they should. that made is necessary to scrap v6 and start over. since it takes 2 1/2 years to make a new version of Scope in the best of circumstances, this means that it's been quite some time now.

Windows 10 works very well for most users. the Win7/Win8/Win10 platform has been much more stable than OSX which requires a software and driver rebuild for every new update.
dawman

Post by dawman »

So I guess that's a no on the downgrade then....

Scope works fine.
It's Native apps....
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah. you can get a win7 COA on ebay cheaply....
dawman

Post by dawman »

What is COA mean...?
dante

Post by dante »

Certificate Of Arsenticity
dawman

Post by dawman »

OK.
So since I have a new hard drive should I get x64 7 pro on a USB Stick....?
dante

Post by dante »

No coz 8.x boots quicker.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Absolutely no 8 or 8.1.

Disabling driver enforcement/signing was the beginning of weird shit for me.
I want my XP Memories of 0 crashes.
7 was good too.
But 8.1 gave me occasional trouble with Scope.
Never had PIC overflow or anything until 8.1.
And while we have work around I don't want them anymore.
7 was a money maker for me.
Gotsta follow the greens....
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Just go 7. That's what I did with my new build (purposeful decision). Anyway 8 looks like Fisher Price shit. I think they changed it a bit since release but those touch screen-style blocks were pointless on proper tower PCs.
petal

Post by petal »

If you have a Windows product key, you can download a complete version of windows 7 from microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7

How to install windows 7 from a USB:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ ... -7-usb.htm
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

petal wrote:If you have a Windows product key, you can download a complete version of windows 7 from microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7
This won't work for OEM product keys, though.
At least that was the case when I tried it several months ago. I bought one of those Dell keys from ebay and with that key the download didn't work.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

I hate mac os x, (i.e. yosemitu etc).

I made a system tuning a couple of weeks ago for a friend of mine, i had to disable a million stuff to make it work "better".
I couldn't disable itunes connecting to the internet and informing me that "there is no store available" though.
Who makes this &^%...

I love win 7. :)
hubird

Post by hubird »

fra77x2 wrote:I hate mac os x, (i.e. yosemitu etc).

I made a system tuning a couple of weeks ago for a friend of mine, i had to disable a million stuff to make it work "better".
I couldn't disable itunes connecting to the internet and informing me that "there is no store available" though.
Who makes this &^%...

I love win 7. :)
Why would you 'tune' a mac?
I use internet, the cloud, parallels and whatever all the time, along audio apps.
I guess if you start managing a mac as a windows machine you are calling for problems :)
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

ok :lol:
David

Post by David »

JV - Windoze 7 or Cortana and that ilk will constantly be on the lookout for you(?) and immerse the pc in transformer oil for silent cool runnings
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

garyb wrote:the big problem there is that some of the programming elements like JUCE don't actually work like they should.
Sorry, just wanted to jump in on this comment (I know it's slightly off the main topic), but I've been using Juce now for the last couple of years and have found 1 bug. I thought I'd found plenty, but each one turned out to be my bad coding! The bug I found was really minor and was fixed and released within 24 hours. It's a really well supported framework with beautifully written code.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not necessarily bad code.
it's just a problem of this particular application of the code not working for S|C's purposes.
perhaps the person doing the application is the source of the problem. either way, it wasn't going to to work. i don't know if JUCE is still being used for the next version of Scope, i think so, but i do know that the problem came from/through JUCE.

i apologize if i caused confusion, but this is a good example of why it's better to just be quiet. i'm not the one who writes the program.
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I've used my same Windows 7 Ultimate on about 3 Scope motherboards. It seems as long as you are not abusive, you can transfer Windows 7 to a new motherboard. Maybe you still have your Windows 7 DVD? Try reusing it before you buy anything. Just use Windows 10 for a home PC or laptop.

I love 7. I see no reason, until Ableton discontinues support to upgrade. That will happen someday, maybe even someday soon. They recently dropped support for Live 9 on XP and Vista. Scope seems OK on 8, so I'll buy 8 on eBay when I need to. It's actually really low risk to buy Windows OS on eBay. If its fake just file a claim and eBay will almost always refund your money, at least they do if you live in the USA.