Windows Downgrade

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

Re: Windows Downgrade

Post by jksuperstar »

Once DAW vendors update thread and power management for Windows 10, I think it'll be slick. The tickless operation of the kernel frees up the other cores for much faster operation, which is a good thing. Windows 8 supports it half way, but changes in the apps are needed to take full advantage, and since windows 10 seems to be in some longer term release process (just so people can get their start menu back), that seems to be happening slowly.

In the long run, win 10 will be faster for audio (especially when a tuning tutorial is fleshed out for audio that disables cortana and other unneeded stuff).

I'm seeing advantages of tickless kernel (or dynamic tick) now in embedded Linux builds. And that has been underway for 6 years of development. Windows will be faster than that, with all the commercial development going on. Windows touts it for power savings, but it was originally intended for high performance computing.
ronnie

Re: Windows Downgrade

Post by ronnie »

My ($250) HP Quad and ($225) i5 stock PCI machines with Win7 give me less headaches than my wacked out ($1400) i7 4 GHz Win8 machine and run less crap that causes latency issues. They're all "daily drivers" but the older boxes are feel more warm and fuzzy reliable. My Win7 HP XW-4600 is more stable for audio than my latest custom Win 8.1 whiz-bang because the latter seems to always have a little surprise now and then even though it is optimized up the gazoo for audio). When I run LatencyMon the older HPs show almost zilch while the new i7 8.1 is much busier no matter what the hell I cut out. While I'm at it, when I listen to Scope mixes that were done on my old XP box (RIP - 2009) I wonder how the hell they sound as good as my new stuff even without the ever-bloated latest native releases of the same VSTs and DAWs. I guess that's because, with a few hungry native exceptions (mostly Diva and Nebula) it all happened (and still does) with Scope plug-ins and mixers - the one constant and consistent platform.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays