Xite Scope 5.1 random cracks and noises

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Xite Scope 5.1 random cracks and noises

Post by garyb »

:)
all true Arcadios, but the OP's problem was EIST not wave drivers.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

Sure.... The random symptoms are similar though...so I believed that the solution might be close...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

i don't count 2016 as a year, it's just February.... :)

So Arcadios, not very away from you,
actually only a few kilometers away
there is somebody that his scope wave driver are perfect.

He also has a (really) quiet place, studio monitors, and has listened and created music for countless hours.
Also sensitive to imperfections and glitches.
The wave driver is always connected to my output alongside ASIO
so i should have spotted these.

But if a number of users have these random glitches I accept it. :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

ARCADIOS wrote:the same problem exactly for 32bit here
Not any issue here w/ WAVE driver on 2 machines, 1 w/ PCI card, the other w/ XITE-1, both SCOPE 5.1, Win XP Pro SP3 (32Bit).

I´ll set up my 3rd machine, Win7 Pro SP1 but 32Bit too then, "soon" (you know what soon means here :D ) ...
Will report back ...

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Ok now how did i record the sound of the sdk video tutorials?
With the wave dest at 44100...

There are 2 instances of the wave driver in the windows audio properties.
One of these is unusable, the other is fine.
Only issue it records only in 44100
garyb

Post by garyb »

ARCADIOS wrote:Sure.... The random symptoms are similar though...so I believed that the solution might be close...

nope.
garyb

Post by garyb »

fra77x2 wrote:Ok now how did i record the sound of the sdk video tutorials?
With the wave dest at 44100...

There are 2 instances of the wave driver in the windows audio properties.
One of these is unusable, the other is fine.
Only issue it records only in 44100
great!
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

and what about ULLI settings ???
garyb

Post by garyb »

ULLI settings relate to ASIO.
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

and why is there a double Xite devices in the windows sound system ?

I tried this :

Add a second wave source in my scope config ... bound automatically with the second windows device
disable the first Xite device in the windows control panel
set the second Xite Device as default in the windows contro panel
remove the first Io for wave in scope and keep only the wave 2 in my scope config

and it work better .. it is not a 100% but works really better

is it a hasard or a logical effect ??

Thank you for your answers
A+lessandro
Last edited by maggiau on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

...because the settings in the XITE's entry in the device manager are set for 2 audio ins and 2 audio outs. you can change that number up or down if you like(but i wouldn't).
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

garyb wrote:...because the settings in the XITE's entry in the device manager are set for 2 audio ins and 2 audio outs. you can change that number up or down if you like(but i wouldn't).
so if my impression is that it is better with the second wave is just an impression ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

you connected two modules and A/B'd them, or with the number one module connected the second "speaker" is the one that works?

if you meant the first scenario, then yes, it's your imagination.
if the second scenario, that's probably normal.
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

what I have done I just created a second IO wave source device in my scope routing window

and use it in my second windows Xite device ...

I set the Wav as SOLO in my scope mixer and no more noise, quite ... :-)

and when I start cubase I mute WAVE as MUTE and and all asio normally ...
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

and connecting my VGA screen through the VGA output instead of the HDMI makes things perfect ....
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Thought I would chime in. I also experience random pops (with ASIO). I classify the problem as a low level "pop" because it sounds like a popping noise. Not a click or crackle. It is very random. Way too random to troubleshoot effectively. Happens both in recording and playback although I can rarely detect the problem during recording. But it's obvious during playback. If it happens during recording I can find the problem in the recorded waveform only by viewing the damaged section with Samplitude's spectral waveform editor. The damaged section appears as a short duration spike which I can sometimes clean away with the spectral editor. I say "sometimes" because it depends where the damage occurs. Oddly I can't see this damage (very well) directly in the track object/clip waveform. It's just not visually obvious until I use the spectral editing tool. Weird. The next time I encounter the problem I will make screen-shots so you can see what I see. Maybe also an MP3 audio sample to go along with it.

If I'm recording multi-track audio (say... 16 tracks) sometimes the pop will randomly appear in one of the recorded object/clips (not all of them). Why one channel and not the others? I don't know. I haven't confirmed if it's always the same channel. That might shed some light on the problem. It seems like the problem never happens on channels 1-10 (talking about through my A16 convertor). I'm using Z-Link interface so that would be all of ZLink A and a few channels of ZLink B. I can always count on the pop appearing in the ZLink B channel set. Will have to contemplate this more. During playback, sometimes the pop appears but I will never know from whence it came. Not related to a specific channel or audio clip.

I have tried every tweak known to man and then some. Nothing gets rid of it completely. Tried new cables. Different OS (on Win 7 at the moment). In fact I built a whole new PC along the way. Tried this and that and finally gave up. I never had this problem with my original Scope cards. Never. While I'm sure many aren't seeing this problem, I am and so, it seems, are some others. Since there doesn't appear to be a magic bullet solution, I can only assume it's a bad combination of hardware/software or a defective Xite.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that sounds like a CPU overrun.
it's probably something in the background that starts every so often.
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

garyb wrote:that sounds like a CPU overrun.
it's probably something in the background that starts every so often.
for me sure hardware problem with my Video card
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

I'm also having this exact problem. Never had it with my Presonus interface and even while I was using an old MOTU 828 while waiting for the XITE-1 to come, I never experienced it. (If I kept my audio buffer at 128 samples, that is.

I haven't tried running by buffer that high. I got used to 64 and I was hoping to keep it around there. I'm only messing about so I've been avoiding any trouble shooting but this thread caught my attention. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit and it wouldn't surprise me if an update messed with settings made during the XITE-1 set up. It's happened before. Microsoft: "What? When you turned those Live Tiles off you really meant it? We thought if we turned them back on for you that you'd learn to love them." :evil:
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

zerocrossing wrote:I'm also having this exact problem. Never had it with my Presonus interface and even while I was using an old MOTU 828 while waiting for the XITE-1 to come, I never experienced it. (If I kept my audio buffer at 128 samples, that is.

I haven't tried running by buffer that high. I got used to 64 and I was hoping to keep it around there. I'm only messing about so I've been avoiding any trouble shooting but this thread caught my attention. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit and it wouldn't surprise me if an update messed with settings made during the XITE-1 set up. It's happened before. Microsoft: "What? When you turned those Live Tiles off you really meant it? We thought if we turned them back on for you that you'd learn to love them." :evil:
Try running LatencyMon on your Windoze 10 and see what happens. WiFi? No good for audio. See what else "pops" up.

Is Intel Management Services running? Unless you're connected to a big-brother corporate network, you don't need this. Almost all PC's ship with it turned on. It can cause drop outs, pops, clicks and other glartches when grabbing CPU cycles. Stop the service in task manager when you do audio. You could uninstall it but your PC manufacturer may have customized it for support purposes and it might affect other stuff (not likely) but you never know. Stopping the service causes no harm and you can see if it helps pretty quick.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays