Xite Scope 5.1 random cracks and noises

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

zerocrossing

Re: Xite Scope 5.1 random cracks and noises

Post by zerocrossing »

ronnie wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I'm also having this exact problem. Never had it with my Presonus interface and even while I was using an old MOTU 828 while waiting for the XITE-1 to come, I never experienced it. (If I kept my audio buffer at 128 samples, that is.

I haven't tried running by buffer that high. I got used to 64 and I was hoping to keep it around there. I'm only messing about so I've been avoiding any trouble shooting but this thread caught my attention. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit and it wouldn't surprise me if an update messed with settings made during the XITE-1 set up. It's happened before. Microsoft: "What? When you turned those Live Tiles off you really meant it? We thought if we turned them back on for you that you'd learn to love them." :evil:
Try running LatencyMon on your Windoze 10 and see what happens. WiFi? No good for audio. See what else "pops" up.

Is Intel Management Services running? Unless you're connected to a big-brother corporate network, you don't need this. Almost all PC's ship with it turned on. It can cause drop outs, pops, clicks and other glartches when grabbing CPU cycles. Stop the service in task manager when you do audio. You could uninstall it but your PC manufacturer may have customized it for support purposes and it might affect other stuff (not likely) but you never know. Stopping the service causes no harm and you can see if it helps pretty quick.
Thanks for the tips. I'm away now but I'll try these when I get back.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

For stuff like stopping a process temporarily, I have always recommended AlactriyPC. You can create temporary situations that shut down a whole slew of services to prevent those things from taking cycles when you need it most. And when it's done, it starts them back up again.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:that sounds like a CPU overrun.
it's probably something in the background that starts every so often.

could be but everything that I could think of to disable is disabled. I used the various notes and suggestions here on Planetz and then some. All the suggested BIOS tweaks.

what's interesting to me is that the noise only seems to happen on channels 9-16 through the A16/XITE unit. I haven't isolated it to a particular channel but that would be the next step. I remember when I first got XITE I tried running with the ADAT cables (not the Z-Link) and was getting some weird random stuff through that bank. Maybe it's a weird A16.
garyb

Post by garyb »

maybe.
could be dirt or a cable, too.

have you tried connecting the BNC on both devices?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:maybe.
could be dirt or a cable, too.

have you tried connecting the BNC on both devices?

I dont have a BNC connection between the two devices. Are you referring to the wordclock? I've never used a wordclock. I think the Z-Link provides it's own timing, no?
garyb

Post by garyb »

indeed it does. i'm just trying to troubleshoot and see if there's a clock problem. since the issue is on the last 8 channels, it would seem that there may be a sync issue, for whatever reason....
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I think maybe a next step might be to isolate it down to a specific channel. I have doubts that's it a specific channel though because sometimes this pop or glitch will appear on multiple channels simultaneously. But I think it's always related to the second bank of channels. I'll spend some time and try to reproduce the problem. I saw it again just recently. Always seems to crop up in the heat of battle and I dont have time to deal with it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if it's always the bank, then it's almost definitely a sync issue. it's the XITE, the A16 or the cable going in either direction.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

I turned off my wi-if and it made a big difference. Never seemed to effect my other FireWire interfaces but the XITE-1 does not like it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sharing an irq?
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:sharing an irq?
Hm... You think that maybe my wi-fi hardware is sharing the same irq as the XITE-1? Had not thought of that. How could I find that out and change it if possible?
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can't change it, you can only disable it or use a different slot or network adapter.

open system information\hardware resources\conflicts/sharing and see....
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Wifi can cause aweful headaches when trying to use low latency settings. I tried jumping through all kinds of hoops to allow it to work (for use with wireless devices in the studio)...but ultimately wifi and low latency audio step on each other way too often to work reliably.

I suggest ditching wifi on your computer (and if it's needed, add a simple wifi router and use your LAN), or back off low latency.

LatencyMon has been reliable in showing me that wifi, will cause dpc issues (which delays your audio from happening on time, which sounds like a glitch). Run it for a few minutes to see. There's simply too much in the wifi driver software in handling over-the-air transmissions, collisions, and error corrections.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

jksuperstar wrote:Wifi can cause aweful headaches when trying to use low latency settings. I tried jumping through all kinds of hoops to allow it to work (for use with wireless devices in the studio)...but ultimately wifi and low latency audio step on each other way too often to work reliably.

I suggest ditching wifi on your computer (and if it's needed, add a simple wifi router and use your LAN), or back off low latency.

LatencyMon has been reliable in showing me that wifi, will cause dpc issues (which delays your audio from happening on time, which sounds like a glitch). Run it for a few minutes to see. There's simply too much in the wifi driver software in handling over-the-air transmissions, collisions, and error corrections.
Sure. It's easy enough to just turn off. Odd I never noticed it before... But I'm now wondering if it might be due to Live's new functions. I'll have a look and see...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, programs like Live often want to be connected to the internet.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Maybe the noise comes from interferences of a machine out of your kitchen MACHINES?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!