A16 Ultra connected via Z-link. strange behaviour

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

blabba

A16 Ultra connected via Z-link. strange behaviour

Post by blabba »

hello there
I have bought a brand new A16 Ultra by Sonic Core to replace the old one that died because it had the operating chip burned, and my problem seems to persist. During the operation, the sync and the sample rate lids cease to light, but the sound gets through. When I re-set the sync with the sync button, the lid lights and stays on for some time but then it is gone again.
This reminds me of my previous A16, as my problems with it started in exactly the same way, and ultimately, the chip burned. Actually, the z-link bloc burned out completely too.
Therefore I am very worried and I wonder what could be the reason for the new problem I have. Could it be bad firewire cables, deficient z-link operation, some problem with my setup (scope professional 14 dsp+pulsar 6 dsp), some issues with the power supply, or something else?

thank you
Dmytro
guppy

Re: A16 Ultra connected via Z-link. strange behaviour

Post by guppy »

It could be useful to try your cards into another computer, cause it could be a problem from the motherboard, PSU or firewire cable (it works with 5m cables here with xite1 and a16ultra)...
I had some sync problems with a16 ultra heat (sync lost no matter the connections i used), i solved it by putting a16 alone outside of the rack. You can try to put a fan on your DSPs too.
Last edited by guppy on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RA

Re: A16 Ultra connected via Z-link. strange behaviour

Post by RA »

You can test with simple adat optical if the card and converter both work correctly....i guess.
If that is fine logically it is narrowed down to zlink out circuit....cable....zlink in circuit.

It used to work?
What changed since last time working and burned zlink issue?
How does the cable look....did you put something on it which might have caused a short....?
Can you try different cables.....l

Good luck ;)
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl