Stereo vs Mono Channels

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Stereo vs Mono Channels

Post by Music Manic »

Ok I'm playing around with stereo files and I'm trying to undestanding how DAW's "interpret" them.

I fed a stereo loop into my Scope mixer on two separate stereo channels and phased the second channel. The signal cancelled out as expected. I then fed the stereo loop into stereo channel one and the left of the loop into mono channel 3 and the right into 4. There wasn't a complete phase cancellation.

Is it possible for any program to separate just the stereo information and the mono information. I know the if you mono left and right you still have the mono information and just the stereo of the left or right, from which you choose.

I know it should be simple but I'd like to have a better understanding of mono and stereo audio files and how they're translated by Daw's and the Scope mixer.

Thanks
tlaskows

Re: Stereo vs Mono Channels

Post by tlaskows »

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. But a mono channel plays on both speakers at the same time. Why not try hard panning the two mono channels, one to the left and one to the right.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Sorry, just woke up.

Hard pan in the Scope mixer before sending into your DAW.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

is the phase compensation button enabled on the mixer(if it's an STM2448 or 4896 mixer)?

slight phase differences between channels will keep signals from cancelling 100%. truly, it's probably not even a small issue.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote:is the phase compensation button enabled on the mixer(if it's an STM2448 or 4896 mixer)?

slight phase differences between channels will keep signals from cancelling 100%. truly, it's probably not even a small issue.
Yes did that and it worked for 2 stereo channels Gary but I'm not sure if I've set it up right for two mono tracks.
If I split the incoming stereo file to a stereo channel and two mono channels in Scope and pan them centre, shouldn't that be the same as feeding two stereo channels or are mono inputs different?

Does pan law come into it?

Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not the same, but in practical terms it shouldn't matter.
yes, pan law and other issues make the difference.