USB Cutting out

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

USB Cutting out

Post by Music Manic »

Hi guys,

the past few days my USB has been cutting out and I have to replug my mouse and keyboard in to get them recognised. The hard drive devices keep getting re-recognised too.

I have an Intel DP35DP. Is it dying or even worse, is there a virus?

Thanks
petal

Re: USB Cutting out

Post by petal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskhRbGPt2k

Sorry - Couldn't help myself :)
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

petal wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskhRbGPt2k

Sorry - Couldn't help myself :)
Are you smoking Petal!!
hubird

Post by hubird »

computer battery?

I'm just checking this myself at the moment, at my mac. Problems regarding recognising system drives.
Date and Time follows internet, so that didn't alarm.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it could be the battery, it's not likely. the battery is probably near the time to be replaced, though.

it could be the keyboard/mouse itself that is bad. it might be that one of the drives is faulty. it might be worn connectors on the motherboard. it might be that the motherboard itself is faulty.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Had the Mobo for years and and its never done this. I will change the battery. I remember the date clock being out last week.
I also tried pushing the USB part in. I will report back tomorrow.

I doubt it's the drive because it happens with a USB stick too. The mouse and keyboard all share the same port through an extended USB.

Thanks for the help.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm,

This is an odd one. I've had this happen in the past, but I know why. I am using an USB extension cord for my mouse. But it hasn't disconnected in a really long time now. Oh, I never use USB hubs, they don't usually work properly with most devices. Are all of your devices on the same port? Try changing the USB port.

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote: Oh, I never use USB hubs, they don't usually work properly with most devices.
I have a DLink 4-port hub since many years and plug in and out devices always, no problems.
My Edirol USB controller keyboard is also connected to this hub and powers on and off all the time.

On the back of the same machine, I have a PCI card type Belkin hub connected in addition, offering several Firewire and USB ports.
My Phead Reason dongle and my Syncrosoft dongle are located on that hub as well as a permanently connected USB harddrive,- no issues since years.
tlaskows wrote: Are all of your devices on the same port?
This is the important question !

In Windows XP, Vista, 7 (probably higher versions too), when plugging devices in and out of different USB ports and when powering USB controllers on/off (especially these w/ an on/off switch), they repeatedly create new (MIDI) drivers and there´s the insane driver limit.
It also happens when devices change their drive letters all the time.

I got rid of all USB issues since I installed http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html and eliminated the MIDI driver issue.
http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/ ... rt-problem

USBDLM includes eSATA, Firewire and multiple-slot cardreaders !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm,

Yes, Winblows reinstalls the drivers when you switch ports. That's why I never unplug anything. I have more than enough USB ports. At least 12? I don't know. Half of them are not being used. The fast ones (USB 3.0) are on the front anyways.

-Tom
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Think I've found out what the problem was.

My wireless mouse's battery ran out. I think this must've reset the USB port which is coupled with the hard drive.

I will see if this happens again within the week.

Thanks for your help guys.