Copperlan..

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Re: Copperlan..

Post by JoPo »

Sorry to ask for stupid things but I'm wondering what the cable 'clock' carries up as data... Is it simply tempo data ? Or is it something more complicated such as.... Euh... I don't know what exactly, that's why I'm asking you.

What is 'clock' for in Copperlan, exactly ? - Many thanks -
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
borg

Post by borg »

Hi all,

I just bought the alyseum al88c and used Copperlan for the first time.
Macbook with RME, PC with Xite-1D and 3 PCI Scope cards, ethernet switch connects the two computers and the alyseum, USB-hub to the Macbook with all my DAW MIDI controllers.
Copperlan is running on the Macbook. I was looking for some answers, but from reading this post, I won't find them. Ah well, it may not be 'set and forget', but once set up, it works great.
At least, with Xite... I just can't seem to activate the PCI midi ports in Copperlan, although Scope Xite and PCI are the only programs running on the PC. Maybe I forgot something, and it also took a few tries to get to a smooth startup procedure, so probably a user error. Unless someone can confirm this behaviour.

So... Really happy, both with the (relatively cheap) Alyseum al88c and Copperlan. Again, Scope has to be the special kid in the family (every other device that remotely has something to do with MIDI gets automagically recognized and is ready to use from the get go), but it's also the special ones that are capable of special things... :)
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

If I get it, you can't open PCI midi ports in Copperlan ? Xite midi ports are opened ? Xite & PCI's are in the same pc ? If they are, it's very strange one work and the other don't. Maybe, you can ask on Copperlan forum, there is a guy who answers all the time fast and knows very well Copperlan...
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

borg, did you already try the workaround mentioned in this thread to start the CopperLan service after starting SCOPE?

So try the following:
1. Start SCOPE with a project containing Sequencer MIDI Source/Dest modules.
2. Start the CPVMN.exe on the PC (shut it down first if it's already running)
3. Now you should be able to enable the SCOPE MIDI ports in the CopperLan Manager (on PC or Mac).
borg

Post by borg »

thanks for chiming in!

did another test this afternoon.

PC started first, opened both Scope programs, started mac (Copperlan autostarts), it sees 2 CW Scope PCI ports, 3 CW Scope Xite ports, Griid and Kapture (both Lemur midi capture apps I haven't used in years).
Maybe one of these two apps takes hold of the PCI midi ports, running somewhere in the background. I'll check later.

Also odd that Copperlan detects two PCI ports where there is only one Seq Midi Source, and three Xite ports, where there are only two SMS's in the Xite project...

I'll look if anything changes when I deinstall the capture apps, later this evening...

cheers
andy
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Phillipe is the guy... he can remote in and check.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
borg

Post by borg »

oddness...

nowhere on my PC any sign of remaining griid or kapturepad stuff, got rid of all the lemur related software, and more (loopMIDI, etRTP, BoomMIDI,...)
still, when opening Copperlan these two, along with Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, keep showing up, together with two Scope PCI MIDI and three Scope Xite-1 MIDI entries.
again, I can activate Xite, but not PCI.

found the CPVNM.exe and followed the above instructions, but nothing seems to happen.

let's see what copperphil has to say...
andy
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes ! Phillipe !

I must say that at the beginning, I had some difficulties for activating midi in Copperlan. You must activate "midi to CP interface"... But if you did it already with Xite, you know... Of course to be able to activate them, they must be present in your pci scope project , load Copperlan service after Scope. If you did all that, it should work. I don't know what to say else.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

my guess would be it might be a MAC and PC mix issue but eh who knows, it sounds like you've done everything right. Copperlan is great but has it's issues. Post a screenshot on the copperlan forum and you should get a response from Phil like is already mentioned. There hasn't been an update to the software in quite sometime. They are working diligently on a major update. SOON!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

yayajohn wrote:They are working diligently on a major update. SOON!
Really ? Where could I see what will be new in next update ?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

well I have no inside information. The major update was mentioned in the forum last year and every once in a while I check the website. Most likely everyone will know quickly once it comes out.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Hey, Jopo.

Have you tried uninstalling Copperlan, clean all remainings of it (if needed do it in the registry also), restart the pc and reinstalling Copperlan?
I had some issues with Copperlan before and this is something I did many times and worked. The last issue I had was comming from a bad installer compilation in the Copperlan website.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Hi, Ripper.

Copperlan works pretty well here... But Borg experiments some issues : Xite midi's are activatable in Copperlan but not PCI's... Very strange.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Uuups, it was for borg indeed. Hehehe!
:wink: