Room EQ Wizard (REW) and Scope ASIO not getting along...

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

auntybiotic

Room EQ Wizard (REW) and Scope ASIO not getting along...

Post by auntybiotic »

Greetings all,

I am trying to use the Room EQ Wizard (REW) software to assist in acoustically treating my room.

Whenever I select the 'Scope ASIO' as the input device within REW, i get a freeze which requires a reboot.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried using this with the scope asio drivers and if they experienced the same issues or not?

It probably isnt a scope issue BUT would appreciate any thoughts / comments as usual.

Best regards
Mark
ehasting

Re: Room EQ Wizard (REW) and Scope ASIO not getting along...

Post by ehasting »

Problem with bitwig and digital performer - kind of same issue. It's probably something about the sound engine framework in use.
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
garyb

Post by garyb »

some newer programs are using ASIO features that allow the program to setup the soundcard. unfortunately, a Scope card is not a soundcard. it's external audio hardware with a GUI inside the computer. the host app can't control it through the usual control panel or otherwise. the OS has absolutely no idea what happens inside the card's environment. the driver merely presents the stream to the computer or receives it. if the program is made the way i think it was, ASIO will never work with that program, because the card cannot respond to the queries from the app.

in all honesty, there is little value to REW or ANY attempt to improve the sound of a room through EQ. at best, an eq can adjust for a flat response in one very small part of the room. you are better off just learning the room's and the speakers' response and mixing accordingly. EQs create phase anomalies that can actually mask things that you want to hear. i'm telling you this after some 30-35 years of experience with a high-level home studio. the ONLY way to fix the speakers or the room is with the proper acoustic treatment of the room. an EQ is a waste of time. what you need is DIFFUSION and BASS TRAPS. this does not need to be anything extravagant, but it's the only way to get a usable room.

anyway, if you can, you might try the wave driver.
dante

Post by dante »

Listen to your mix at low volume occasionally. That way the effect of room acoustics will be reduced.
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

no, i am using the rew software, via a measurement omni sdc, to analyse a new live jazz cafe venue, approximately 75m2. It has huge resonance issues.... i will be the 'audio guy '...

My calculations so far suggest I have unwanted low frequency pressure issues at the following frequencies:
71, 78, 141, 145, 212, 213, 223, 214, 282, 283, 284, 291 between + 7 dB - + 9 dB over acceptable.

For a live venue, my reverberation, reflections, (RT-60) time must be lowered into the 1 - 2 sec. range wheras i am currently around 4 seconds with all the hard surfaces.

Low frequency absorption along with middle and high frequency absorption will be required so i want to home in on the offending frequencies in order to dial the room in to something i absolutely do not need to 'EQ' on the desk..

As you may now realise i am not a bedroom guy :-)

i had hoped to use my xite-1 to do this, but as it seems it may not be possible i will have to pull out my old motu :-( bummer :-(

the rew sw allows you to analyse your room in order to treat the room. it doesnt 'fix' eq, etc....it just gives you waterfall plots across the frequency spectrum to home in on the problems..
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, of course, this is important.

the wave driver won't work? that's a bummer....
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

it is strange and annoying.. i see the xite-1 as a valid device in both the wave and ASIO options of the sw, yet the wave simply won't work and selecting the scope asio crashes the sw....
i think you are right that it is demanding too much control over the scope hw which scope would not allow.
it's probably a good thing as it means i finally have a use for my old motu and my xite-1 will stay in my home rack :-)
thanks for the ideas & suggestions anyway !
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can instead try a work-around. Use ASIO drivers, but do it through ASIO4ALL, and connect that to the wave deivers of scope. Google asio4all...

Also, a cafe that can afford use of an xite-1, ought to be able to spend a small sum on ceiling panels to reduce reflections. The people will take care of the floor (you are measuring with people in the room?!)
garyb

Post by garyb »

good call!
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

Ha ha :-) No, the cafe is being started by my friend, who has spent his entire fortune getting the place ready, and is relying on me as a friend to sort his áudio' stuff out :-)
He is lucky i have an Xite-1 and live 20 meters from the cafe haha
:-)

Great tip on the asio4all - i had used this for other things but was more wondering if it was an xite issue or dodgy sw.. & i didn't think of trying to hook it up to the scope wave driver....nice 1 !!

Thanks again and I will let you know if it works. I will also post pics of the treatment i end up doing, hopefully with the xite :-)

And finally, I will be building all of his traps / diffusors / absorbers...that's why i need a good room measurement..
garyb

Post by garyb »

awesome!
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

For those that have issues with some software that won't start if Scope ASIO is available ...

I posted a workaround for this, that means Scope ASIO is not available... Which is obviously not the ideal scenario for many.....

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 72#p316071
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...