A16 Ultra issue

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pdistefano

A16 Ultra issue

Post by pdistefano »

OK. I thought I'd run my problem by the forum for some possible input/thought before I decide what to do.

So I've had 2x A16 Ultras successfully running from a Pulsar with ADAT expansion, One connected via the Z-links, the other with the 2 ADAT's
These primarily used as DA converters for an external 32 channel outboard/mixdown set-up.

Powered up studio after a few days break, the A16 unit taking the Z-link inputs not locking in (Z-link light red), the other taking the ADAT's sync'ing as normal/working. So I then embark on a systematic troubleshooting exercise. I send/swap the known working ADAT sends from the working unit to the other not working to no success. I then as a test tried the Z-link inputs (from the not working unit) on the working ADAT unit and hey presto this one locked in and worked - great, so seems not to be a Z-link or ADAT issue from the card/Scope.

BUT could it be a simultaneous ADAT / Z-link issue in scope? that's the only thing I haven't been able to test/rule out, but I doubt it.

So one unit can take both formats successfully, the other still not working either way. The one not working still powers up, but on any input setting, even set as "master" it lights up as red, so no good/not taking any signal successfully.

Any idea of what potentially could be the issue? I'm guessing something may have gone snap crackle pop inside the unit in the circuitry somewhere and where I'm located it's going to be a lengthy/expensive/non-guaranteed repair scenario.

I'm about resolved in thinking it's probably more cost effective/quicker to simply replace the unit - which I have the opportunity to do easily/quickly - (it's kind of the heart of/critical to my set-up/work) unless anyone has any other bright ideas of what it could be and if it is likely/possible to be repaired (I'm in Australia btw and I know this gear is not exactly common around here :wink:

Any thoughts/assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
jksuperstar

Re: A16 Ultra issue

Post by jksuperstar »

Have you swapped power supplies? Maybe 1 is going bad.
garyb

Re: A16 Ultra issue

Post by garyb »

Ferrofish can fix the A16 if it is broken.
www.ferrofish.com