Sonic Core A16 Ultra chip misoperating

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

blabba

Sonic Core A16 Ultra chip misoperating

Post by blabba »

Hi there, hopefully somebody will advise me on how to do better.

The problem that occurred to my Sonic Core A16 Ultra is that when switched on, only the power lid lights, but nothing else happens. The control buttons switching the operation modes and the sample rates are not working, the unit is not operating, and it is not interacting with the soundcard (Scope 12 DPS, connected via Z-link). The power supply heats in the meanwhile quite considerably. But it has been checked, and the power supply on its own is working properly. The unit is now at the official repair centre of your official dealer in Ukraine. When the unit was opened, it was discovered that the operating processor heats unnaturally enormously, and apparently, the problem lies there, i.e., the processor does not operate properly, or something goes wrong around. The chip is the FPGA.

To further identify the origin of the trouble, the servicemen told that they need the technical guide, with the schematics of the unit. They inquired it from the Ferrofish, and they suggested, to make sure the problem is with the chip, to check the voltage across it. they suggested to measure it with a multimeter across one of the four capacitors on each side of the chip, it should read about 3.3V. However, the servicemen say they might kill the chip by overheating it, and to act more cauciously, insist on receiving the schematics. I wonder whether there is anybody who disposes of such schematics, or will advise me an alternative way of how best to do to get the necessary information to have my converter fixed, without the need to send it to Germany, which would ultimately cost me the price of the whole unit.
tlaskows

Re: Sonic Core A16 Ultra chip misoperating

Post by tlaskows »

FPGAs can run hot, even too hot to touch. I had an Altera Cyclone board once and it ran hot even without running any code.

-Tom
blabba

Post by blabba »

Thank you Tom. actually, an engineer I am working with has checked the unit, and it is true that the chip is dead, and there are some other parts that are dead. therefore I am looking for a spare pcb now to have my unit fixed
garyb

Post by garyb »

unless you happen to find a working A16 Ultra to rob parts from, the only people who can provide service is Ferrofish. www.ferrofish.de

Ferrofish owns the A16 line.