sound distorted in creamware powersampler

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

antonio5

sound distorted in creamware powersampler

Post by antonio5 »

i have sound distorted (similar as radio) or sometimes no audio out
dsp work fine usually, in sometimes have a messagebox "dsp overflow"

my creamware pulsar 2 work fine,
i have conected via stdm cable pulsar 2 + powersamper
garyb

Re: sound distorted in creamware powersampler

Post by garyb »

the Pulsar2 is working fine when the Powersampler has a problem? that sounds like a hardware issue...
antonio5

Post by antonio5 »

my motherboard is Asus M4A77TD

I contacted with sonic core
sonic core says "the problem is posible the chipset"

i no have another machine for testing this card

in the past the powersampler work fine in old machine (atlonXP)
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is not enough information to say anything.

are both cards in the same computer?
is it only the powersampler card that has a problem?

how many masterverbs can you load into an empty project before getting PCI overflow?
antonio5

Post by antonio5 »

are both cards in the same computer?
yes, in this time i have removed the creamware powersampler card for work correcty my system
is it only the powersampler card that has a problem?
yes
how many masterverbs can you load into an empty project before getting PCI overflow?
using pulsar 2 + powersampler:
i get pci overflow message in sometimes, i can load 3 mastervers and
get messagebox "sorry, capacity limit of your dsp cards as been reached"

cool n quiet is turn off in bios,
the problem of sound is more usually using 96kz comparate as 44khz,using low sample rate the problem is less usually

this message is from sonic core team:
well, i'm sorry to say that the problem is the motherboard, NOT the cards. all socket 1155 intel boards and all AMD boards of the age of the socket 1155 motherboards are junk. actually, there was an attempt to eliminate the PCI bus. the chipsets on those motherboards do not support PCI. instead, a third party controller chip is used and the PCI bus is tacked onto the PCIe bus. this would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't. a legacy LAN card or modem would work fine, but a realtime-high-performance audio card just won't work at all. the 3 masterverbs confirms this.

if you want this system to work, you will need to trade out the motherboard and processor for newer, or older components. the AMD side is confusing, but you can tell which work and which don't by comparing their age to comparable intel systems. motherboards the same age as socket 775, 1366, and 1156 all work well. the newest socket 1150 intel boards also work well.

again, the card and the software are not at fault. the design of the motherboard makes it impossible for the cards to function properly. there is a slight chance that there may be a bios upgrade that improves performance.
antonio5

Post by antonio5 »

i can load 7 masterverbs using only pulsar 2 in my machine the message is
"sorry, capacity limit of your dsp cards as been reached", the message of "pci overflow"
is only using pulsar 2 + powersampler in sometimes and not shown loading masterverbs,
the noise sound of powersampler appears without the message of "pci overflow" or another messagebox
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, when i answered the email in support, i misunderstood your complaint. the motherboard appears to be ok, not great, but ok. a better motherboard/processor should get 8-10 or more masterverbs with either one or both cards. 7 is plenty usable. 3 is quite poor for second generation Scope cards like a Pulsar2 or Powersampler.

based on your description, it looks like there is a bad Powersampler card.

it makes sense that 96k would be more prone to PCI overflow since twice the computer resources are required for 96k operation compared to 44.1k or 48k...