Problems with wave module and samplerate (Win7 64bit)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shot

Problems with wave module and samplerate (Win7 64bit)

Post by Shot »

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my machine and went to 64bit win7. Previously I had 32bit W7 system.

I'm having problems with winamp and similar windows players. My default samplerate in Scope is 48k. But when I want to play a simple mp3 through winamp, it won't play unless I switch samplerate to 44k. This could be as simple as that, but in most situations I don't want to change it since I'm working in Cubase at the same time and changing samplerate will make a mess in a cubase's project.

I noticed it is directly dependent on the settings of the Speakers driver in windows (control panel / sounds). If I go to properties of my default driver (Speakers) and under advanced tab change the samplerate to 48, than winamp will play without problems. But I get different projects to work in my studio and it's sometimes 44k, sometimes 48k - no regular setup - so if I change this to 48k it will just switch to creating problems for winamp in 44k. I hope you understand what I'm saying (not a native english speaker so it's hard to express)

Previously in W7 32 bit it had no problems with that. Now on 64bit it's an issue.

Device manager sees two "Speakers" drivers although I'm having only one Wave module in Scope. Has it anything to do with my problem? How do I remove completely the unused (and disabled) Speakers driver from windows, so I can have just the one that is being used?

I'm using 24bit Wave Dest module (don't have regular Wave Dest module loaded in Scope project at all)
Scope is v5 64bit
Two scope cards (Luna and Pulsar2), no IRQ sharing issues...

:)

Luka
Shot

Re: Problems with wave module and samplerate (Win7 64bit)

Post by Shot »

I've been trying lots of tweaks but it still happens...
No idea...
:(
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

hi, not tried with pci cards, but with the xite to work@ 48 khz on win 7 64 , i had to set the sample rate from the playback devices panel, right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right, select "playback devices" select the first of the scope speakers, click "properties" then select the advanced tab(if you don't see the advanced tab, select the other one scope speakers), set the samplerate from the dropdown menu to 16bit 48000 hz and apply, it should work.
I don't use winamp, so can't say more about it.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

djmicron wrote:hi, not tried with pci cards, but with the xite to work@ 48 khz on win 7 64 , i had to set the sample rate from the playback devices panel, right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right, select "playback devices" select the first of the scope speakers, click "properties" then select the advanced tab(if you don't see the advanced tab, select the other one scope speakers), set the samplerate from the dropdown menu to 16bit 48000 hz and apply, it should work.
I don't use winamp, so can't say more about it.
Same with PCI cards and Win 8.1
Shot

Post by Shot »

I know how to change samplerate on windows driver through volume control's properties or through control panel / sound.
It's not a problem in that.

Before, on my previous machine, I didn't have to change it in order to play windows sound (winamp, media player, soundforge etc...). It would play correctly no matter what was the samplerate in windows driver.
Now with scope 5 in 64bits I cannot do that.
And that is a problem.
I don't want to go to driver's properties every few minutes!

:)
frokka

Post by frokka »

Not sure if it will solve the problem, but you should remove the second entry of speakers regardless, it can cause similar problems for sure.

Use the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

Play some music and check which has the active green soundbar.
Set it as default and remove the other, under Playback as well as Recording.