Windows 8.1 64bit Scope 5.1 "Can't find DSP file..."

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bob4u

Windows 8.1 64bit Scope 5.1 "Can't find DSP file..."

Post by bob4u »

I have built a new PC with:
- ASUS Z97-A 16GB RAM with 2xSSD
- a Pulsar II + 14DSP expansion (21 total)
- Windows 8.1 64bit
- Scope 5.1 64b build 2709 (last)

Old and new programs work properly, but not Scope... it frequently reports error like
"Can,t find DSP file MVC STS 5000 VxD- Please check installation"
it happens also for other devices but they still work,
while STS5000 (and the other samplers) DOES NOT work

As suggested in the forum I have tried to run Scope in Administrator mode,
but whenever I load a project with an STS5000 (32 or 64 version) Windows crashes with blu screen :-/

Please HELP !!
dante

Re: Windows 8.1 64bit Scope 5.1 "Can't find DSP file..."

Post by dante »

I wouldn't mind betting this is a symptom of the Microsoft Update KB2919355 (first encountered & diagnosed by Fidox).

Ive had same issue with other plugins since this update and had to roll back to Windows 8.0
bob4u

Post by bob4u »

dante wrote:I wouldn't mind betting this is a symptom of the Microsoft Update KB2919355 (first encountered & diagnosed by Fidox).

Ive had same issue with other plugins since this update and had to roll back to Windows 8.0

Thank you Dante,
I do have KB2919355, unfortunately it's one of the few upgrades that seems impossible to be removed it in a standard way... :-/

I had installed directly 8.1 so probably its was part of it
dante

Post by dante »

Exactly -same with me which is why I had to reinstall windows 8. Fidox on the other hand had it as an incremental update and was able to reverse it, hence solving the issue on his machine.
juarkez

Post by juarkez »

¡¡ The old and same problem with SCOPE 5.1 driver for W8.1 Pro 64 !!
The SCOPE Co. is working away from Microsoft because if not then SCOPE software would cost much more.
Gary (from support) told me this.
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

That logic doesn't work for me. One of the reasons I pay for software is to have working drivers (including 3rd party sys files), and if that means MS certification, so be it. I'll pay given the choice, but to not have the choice kinda sucks.
garyb

Post by garyb »

driver certification is extremely expensive and it doesn't make the driver work better.

back to the OP, are you running Scope "as administrator"?
with Scope closed, right click on the Scope icon and choose "run as administrator".
you will see a warning message asking if it's ok for Scope to make changes to the system. you must answer "yes".
dante

Post by dante »

He said he tried running as admin. Id also pay extra for any mechanism which bought MS / SC testing into cycle to resolve this kind of problem.
garyb

Post by garyb »

this has absolutely nothing to do with driver certification.

actually, after rereading, i see that this is about the STS samplers. the STS samplers don't work in 64bit windows. this is pretty old news and it's also in the documentation that accompanies v5.1.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes, but the 'Cant Find DSP file' error is to do with the W8.1 update - it affects BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit - and a wider range of devices. The documented STS issue is a different issue- and only affects 64 bit.

Isnt this the case ?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well I don't know if this helps or not but I've just recently configured a new computer with my PCI cards and I have Windows 8.1 32bit with all the current updates. The STS samplers seem to work pretty stable so far. I initially had the same messages but they dissapeared after I read to run Scope in Administrator mode. The only difference with my setup is I am running Scope 5.0
garyb

Post by garyb »

no Dante. to the best of my knowledge, it only affect a few DAS plugins. there are definitely users of 8.1 who haven't had issues, or at least there aren't a flood of complaints going to support.
dante

Post by dante »

There are 2 separate issues. I believe bob4u's is the second one (unique to 8.1). Based on

a) I can load and playback samples using STS5000 under Win 8.0 64 bit with no errors.
b) The error message 'Cant Find File .... please check installation' is the same message I got under Win 8.1 for the devices that used sys files.
fidox

Post by fidox »

garyb wrote:...to the best of my knowledge, it only affect a few DAS plugins...
yea, true.
i'm lucky that i upgrade to Windows 8 early enough, so i don't need to have all those updates installed, which causes problems with some DAS plugins.
bob4u

Post by bob4u »

Unfortunately I had purchased Win 8.1 64 bits,
waiting for some solution does anyone tried to use HyperV and run a 32 bit OS to work with Scope ?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

This may be a long shot but I seem to recall re-installing problematic programs on Win 8.1 64 with the install/setup program set to "run as administrator" which has solved weird issues when subsequently running the actual programs.

I also use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall programs. Revo does a much more thorough job than "Programs and Features" which can leave unnecessarily sticky detritus scattered around the machine and registry. I use the paid version which does a completely cleaned out uninstall.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/index.html

Certainly less painful than a Win 8.1 reinstall. :evil:

I feel for you brotha! You get all psyched and build a banging new box and then get blindsided by friggin' Windblows, even with SCOPE that properly maintains as much distance as possible from the OS. :o
pranza

Post by pranza »

KB2919355 can be uninstalled! go to add/remove programs, click "view installed updates" (at upper left), and use search situated at top right corner, search for (KB2919355).

If you don't do this you are going to have not only non working sampers, but VDAT as well and it gonna give you blew (actually dark purple now) screens!

If you keep getting file not found errors, check if those files exist and if the attributes are proper. Also it can be something to do with dsp files not loading under 64bit system as some plugins are not compatible and namely dsp files are to blame.
dante

Post by dante »

It cannot be uninstalled if you have a Win 8.1 DVD that was created after the patch was built into the base install.

Fidox, has this install. Other users (such as myself) do not.

If you know where such an installer (Win 8.1 pre April update 2014) can be downloaded, please point me to it.

Watch the 'Uninstall' link ( next to the word 'Organise' ) dissappearing when the KB2919355 is selected
no_uninstall
no_uninstall
no_uninstall.gif (176.52 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
fidox

Post by fidox »

well, i have Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit version on my DVD (burned from ISO filo) before spring update,
and if you think that could help, i can make ISO file and upload it somewhere ...
dante

Post by dante »

That would be cool .... Google drive perhaps ?