Please help me get my Supermicro x10sla-f to work

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Please help me get my Supermicro x10sla-f to work

Post by Immanuel »

So far, I get the PCI Master Overflow error when I try to load the first Masterverb in an empty 44.1 kHz project. This is with a brand new installation of Win 8.0 (build 9200). I have tried doing the heavy downloads to 8.1, but this does not solve the problem. So now I am back to the fresh install. The strange thing is, that I do not get an error before loading the second or third Masterverb Pro.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
garyb

Re: Please help me get my Supermicro x10sla-f to work

Post by garyb »

what processor are you using?
have you contacted Supermicro to let them know that the PCI slots are not working correctly? if you can explain the issue to them, they may be able to help. perhaps the board is faulty, perhaps they need to offer a bios upgrade. Supermicro is pretty responsive, or they always were in the past. you can even get a real tech on the telephone.

this problem won't be a windows issue, if you have already done all these setup suggestions:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31345
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I am using an E3-1220 v3 CPU. I have not hooked up with the Supermicro support yet. Here is, what I did with the BIOS guide, you posted:

Intel EIST .......... disabled
Intel C State .......... disabled
C1E Support .......... disabled
Overspeed Protection .......... not found
Hyperthreading .......... Not supported by the CPU
Execute Bit Support .......... disabled
Set Limit CPUID MaxVal to 3 (maybe not so important) .......... options enabled and disabled. For now, it is left on enabled.
Intel Virtual Tech .......... disabled
Intel VT-d Tech .......... disabled

Scope is not sharing IRQ with anything. I have had it share with the PCI to PCI-X bridge, but it didn't change anything.

For now, I am only working with the PCI cards. Xite has not touched the motherboard yet.

So, if I should write Supermicro, do you have any suggestions on what to write to them?

---------

"I am running a high end real time DSP sound system (from Creamware) on the PCI bus, and I get PCI Master Overflow messages very easily. I can load one instance of a very resource hungry plug-in, where I could load 17 of the same plug-ins on my 12 years old Asus Tusl2-c motherboard. I have no IRQ sharing between my sound cards and anything else. I have done some tweaks in the BIOS (these are standard tweaks when running these sound cards):

Intel EIST .......... disabled
Intel C State .......... disabled
C1E Support .......... disabled
Overspeed Protection .......... not found
Hyperthreading .......... Not supported by the CPU
Execute Bit Support .......... disabled
Set Limit CPUID MaxVal to 3 (maybe not so important) .......... options enabled and disabled. For now, it is left on enabled.
Intel Virtual Tech .......... disabled
Intel VT-d Tech .......... disabled

My CPU is an Intel E3-1220 v3."

Would a letter like this make any sense to a non-CW/SC supporter? I find that usually, if a tech request starts out with misunderstandings, it is often very hard to get back on track later on.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the basic text should be sufficient to get things started. make sure they know it's high-performance and realtime(which you had mentioned).

most of the bios changes merely make sure the system is always fully powered. modern systems normally run partly powered, and then when a program requires more processing, the power is ramped up. the purpose of that behavior is strictly power-saving and it causes a lag that makes dropouts with a realtime soundcard. by turning those parameters off, the system is always fully turned on.

if you are awake during business hours in the USA(you were up when you first posted and then responded to my answer), it might be easier to begin with a phone call.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Thanks for the advice to call them. I tried this, and the supporter suggested I "submitted an issue" online.

I am just wondering, could this be a problem with the Scope card itself? It is old after all.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it could be the card, but it's very doubtful.
more likely it's the motherboard.
pranza

Post by pranza »

x10sla-f has shitty buggy pcie-pci bridge to start with
and almost all of them are so... except fujitsu who use proper chips from normal companies
MrV

Post by MrV »

Gee and I was about to buy an X10sla-f board too , for my 3 cards .

Also been looking at Supermicro's X99 boards ...but hey , buying these
mobos is such a lottery ,, wish there was a way to try before buying !

Michael
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

A couple of days ago, I changed the motherboard and the RAM and keeped everything else (for the test, I didn't even make a new windows 8 installation), and now I get 11 masterverbs with an error on number 12. This is much better than what I got from the x10sla-f. Other people have had more luck than me, though. My new motherboard is an Asus H87-Pro.