upgraded to win 7 32 bit now reason hangs

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

irrelevance

upgraded to win 7 32 bit now reason hangs

Post by irrelevance »

I'm having big troubles at present with scope and Propellerheads reason 6.5 and/or 7. I have installed win 7 32 bit on freshly formatted partition. All drivers for devices including motherboard chipset Gigabyte GA P35sl updated. Reason always hangs on splash screen >unless< I firstly disable scope hardware in device manager and close scope 5.0. Once reason is open I can enable scope hardware and run scope 5.0 without problems. I have no irq conflicts. Cubase 7 is running without problems and ableton live 9.03 is also running without issue . Any ideas what could possibly be causing this? Or how to go about troubleshooting the issue.

Thinking it could be he end of the line foe the motherboard but I'm just grasping at straws now as only one program is failing and no idea why.
irrelevance

Re: upgraded to win 7 32 bit now reason hangs

Post by irrelevance »

Okay found solution here:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... p?p=975418

From the readme:

Reason 6.02
Optional workarounds for ASIO driver bugs on Windows

Reason 6.02 ships with two optional workarounds for known bugs in a few ASIO drivers.

Some of these ASIO drivers fail, hang or crash when queried through the runtime-system (Microsoft COM).
For such drivers we have a workaround making Reason avoid such queries.
This workaround is called ìNo ACEî and also disables detection of special features in the Balance audio interface.

Others simply fail, hang or crash when started ñ these are usually secondary ASIO drivers that are not in use, and
sometimes even when the hardware is not connected. For such drivers we have a workaround making Reason
only touch the user-selected ASIO driver and no others. That workaround is called ìNo Sound AutoDetectî and
also disables auto-selection of audio drivers and fall-back when the active audio driver is stopped or the current
interface disconnected.

List of interfaces known to have this type of bug in latest ASIO driver at the time of writing:

1. Creamware / Sonic Core Scope-series
2. AudioTrak Maya 44
3. ESI Juli@

Note: Some older versions of Mbox drivers, installed with various versions of ProTools, need the workaround too.

Note: If you use another ASIO-driver, but Reason 6 hangs/crashes as is starting, it doesn't hurt to try these workarounds.

Instructions:

1. Unzip the archive and navigate to the extracted files
2. To turn on a workaround, double-click a "Workaround" .bat-file, then restart Reason 6.02
3. To turn a workaround off again, double-click a "Off" .bat-file, then restart Reason 6.02

Note: While we are not aware of any ASIO driver that requires both workarounds turned on, it is possible if your
main ASIO driver requires the No ACE workaround and another installed ASIO driver crashes on AutoDetect.

Note: It is ok to run the .bat-files multiple times, they do the same thing each time.

I Ran the 'No ACE' bat file and now all is good. Very odd as didn't have this issue under xp with reason 6.52 but did with win7. Reason 7 is also loading up no probs now.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Good to hear that you got it working mate and thanks for posting the info.

I thought it was interesting to note that the 3 products listed as problematic are excellent quality audio cards, not cheap crap. Scope, the Maya and the ESI Juli@ are all excellent products, especially Scope and the Juli@.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes, same problem I encountered but with Reason 7 in Windows 8 x64 and documented here :

http://www.xited.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1043
reason fix
reason fix
reasonfix.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Shroomz~> wrote:Good to hear that you got it working mate and thanks for posting the info.

I thought it was interesting to note that the 3 products listed as problematic are excellent quality audio cards, not cheap crap. Scope, the Maya and the ESI Juli@ are all excellent products, especially Scope and the Juli@.
Yes very odd indeed. I had read some folks getting around the issue by installing Asio4All so effectively bypassing the manufacturer drivers! End of tether kind of response which OS upgrades usually elicit! I was getting pretty close :lol:
dante wrote:Yes, same problem I encountered but with Reason 7 in Windows 8 x64 and documented here :

http://www.xited.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1043
reasonfix.jpg
So 5.1 is working under win 8 is it Dante?
dante

Post by dante »

irrelevance wrote:So 5.1 is working under win 8 is it Dante?
Sure is - 64 bit Win8, 64 bit Reason, 64 bit Scope and 64 bit Cubase.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

dante wrote:
irrelevance wrote:So 5.1 is working under win 8 is it Dante?
Sure is - 64 bit Win8, 64 bit Reason, 64 bit Scope and 64 bit Cubase.

Must be superfast!! Boot times are quite zippy for me at present but then my no bloat xp partition was always quite quick compared anyway but in the end I have bitten the bullet and gone for 32bit for now. Will see how long I can hold out before going 64bit...desktops will probably be a thing of the past by that time! lol
garyb

Post by garyb »

64bit is not faster.

it just allows more ram.
dante

Post by dante »

irrelevance wrote:Must be superfast!! Boot times are quite zippy for me at present but then my no bloat xp partition was always quite quick compared anyway
Win 8 x64 boots much faster on my machine than Win XP x32, but I have no idea if that's due to 64 bit or not. The apps themselves run much the same speeds.

I still had to set Scope ULLI to 23ms (at 48Khz) to get rid of crackles and pops and do other tweaks the same as in Win XP so no difference there.

My mobo/cpu are 5 years old so I did it for RAM not speed, boot up was just a bonus.
malcolmbarr

Post by malcolmbarr »

I am sorry to say it but the problem you have encountered with ACE/Autodetect, Scope and Reason, (and which Propellerheads have provided a workaround for), also affects some other software. And the bad news is that the providers of that software are not always prepared to provide a workaround.

I have come across this issue with the following applications under windows 7 32 bit (it may affect others and I haven't tested under other operating systems):

Fxpansion Geist (stand alone)
Fxpansion Tremor (stand alone)
Serato Itch and Serato DJ

Note that in all of these cases the applications hang at start up if the Scope ASIO driver is present in the system (even if the application is not set to use the Scope audio hardware). I have contacted Fxpansion and Serato and asked for them to provide a workaround, and they have either refused or said "its a problem with the ASIO driver, go ask Sonic Core to fix it". I have asked Garyb about this, and he is adamant that it is not a driver problem but an issue with applications.

The good news is that the Fxpansion apps listed above work fine as VST plug ins, where the relationship with the audio driver is being handled by the host.

There is a hack I use with these apps which means I don't have to physically remove the scope cards or un-install in order to be able to run them (although they still can't use the Scope hardware). I will document the steps required to do this if there is any interest.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Well I've just upgraded all system components all except for my harddrives and I was pleased to see Reason worked straight away without the need for this fix on this occasion.
malcolmbarr wrote:I am sorry to say it but the problem you have encountered with ACE/Autodetect, Scope and Reason, (and which Propellerheads have provided a workaround for), also affects some other software. And the bad news is that the providers of that software are not always prepared to provide a workaround.

I have come across this issue with the following applications under windows 7 32 bit (it may affect others and I haven't tested under other operating systems):

Fxpansion Geist (stand alone)
Fxpansion Tremor (stand alone)
Serato Itch and Serato DJ

Note that in all of these cases the applications hang at start up if the Scope ASIO driver is present in the system (even if the application is not set to use the Scope audio hardware). I have contacted Fxpansion and Serato and asked for them to provide a workaround, and they have either refused or said "its a problem with the ASIO driver, go ask Sonic Core to fix it". I have asked Garyb about this, and he is adamant that it is not a driver problem but an issue with applications.

The good news is that the Fxpansion apps listed above work fine as VST plug ins, where the relationship with the audio driver is being handled by the host.

There is a hack I use with these apps which means I don't have to physically remove the scope cards or un-install in order to be able to run them (although they still can't use the Scope hardware). I will document the steps required to do this if there is any interest.
Hey malcolmbarr,

I wasn't watching this thread so it's the first time seeing your post. Even if nobody responds now someone in the future might find it useful to know how you got yourself out of the problem so let us know! :)