operating system sounds

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

operating system sounds

Post by peksi »

I installed XITE-1 along with my PCI Scope and I seem not to be able to get any sound from Scope wave dest to the operating system recording device (tried both Sonic core pulsar nor Scope XITE-1). At first I got only some garbidge sound and after re-installing XITE-1 drivers my recording programs (windows 7) say the inputs are not available.

Also there seems to be no possibility to get operating system sound input from XITE at all? From device management there is no adjustable channel settings visible in the XITE driver, only Scope PCI drivers. I presume PCI is the automatic selection for the windows operating system sound input when both are available?

I think I may be selling my PCI scope pulsar 1 + 2 combo with Scope 5.1 since I dont need them anymore. I got my hands full with XITE already.
niceboy

Re: operating system sounds

Post by niceboy »

peksi wrote:I installed XITE-1 along with my PCI Scope and I seem not to be able to get any sound from Scope wave dest to the operating system recording device (tried both Sonic core pulsar nor Scope XITE-1). At first I got only some garbidge sound and after re-installing XITE-1 drivers my recording programs (windows 7) say the inputs are not available.

Also there seems to be no possibility to get operating system sound input from XITE at all? From device management there is no adjustable channel settings visible in the XITE driver, only Scope PCI drivers. I presume PCI is the automatic selection for the windows operating system sound input when both are available?

I think I may be selling my PCI scope pulsar 1 + 2 combo with Scope 5.1 since I dont need them anymore. I got my hands full with XITE already.
Which recording Device are you using,because we stayed in Vista with both PCI and Xite because ours is still not updated for our two W7 Computers .
Bear
dante

Post by dante »

peksi wrote:Also there seems to be no possibility to get operating system sound input from XITE at all?
Do you have a WAVE SOURCE device placed in your Scope XITE project ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

i think windows prefers the second wave driver. windows sounds work for sure, you can assign them by right clicking on the speaker near the clock. i believe windows calls the wave modules "XITE-1 speakers" or something close to that...
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

garyb wrote:i think windows prefers the second wave driver. windows sounds work for sure, you can assign them by right clicking on the speaker near the clock. i believe windows calls the wave modules "XITE-1 speakers" or something close to that...
To use the Wave Sourse with two Wavelab is not that way,
and with high latency its even better quality than Asio Ralf told me.
I havnt used it much but its for sure a Quick way of processing
with the french part of Steinberg.
Bear
peksi

Post by peksi »

I am using "wave dest" from "software IOs" as I have done before. I did set the device from the operating system side as the default recording device in my Windows 7 and tried to record my piece with Windows default recorer as well as Audacity from but I only got constant noise from Scope PCI in and emptiness from XITE (error opening sound device).

I accessed the operating system settings from windows 7 "control panel" -> "sounds", checked their preferences and advanced settings. There I found that only PCI Scope lets me choose the number available channels and bit depth for the operating system whereas the XITE driver did not even had the page for those settings. But still there was 2 XITE devices in my operating system side.

niceboy: I tried using Line (Sonic core pulsar) and line (Scope XITE-1). There were two of them both, four in total.

dante: yes I have
garyb

Post by garyb »

again, right click on the speaker icon near the clock. the setting are there.

be sure to have 2 wave source and dest modules(i use 24bit) and connect the source modules to the mixer, so you can tell which provides sound. i belive windows prefers the second set of wave modules. they will be called "Scope XITE-1 speaker" or something similar in the windows 7 settings. i'm not in front of my machine, or i'd give more detailed descriptions, but they DO work, DEFINITELY.
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

peksi wrote:I am using "wave dest" from "software IOs" as I have done before. I did set the device from the operating system side as the default recording device in my Windows 7 and tried to record my piece with Windows default recorer as well as Audacity from but I only got constant noise from Scope PCI in and emptiness from XITE (error opening sound device).

I accessed the operating system settings from windows 7 "control panel" -> "sounds", checked their preferences and advanced settings. There I found that only PCI Scope lets me choose the number available channels and bit depth for the operating system whereas the XITE driver did not even had the page for those settings. But still there was 2 XITE devices in my operating system side.

niceboy: I tried using Line (Sonic core pulsar) and line (Scope XITE-1). There were two of them both, four in total.

dante: yes I have
I've been told by Ralf almost a year ago that Xite was not updated for Wavelab at all,
and I just wanted you to check your application maybe
I use Both Wavelab 6 and Wavelab 7 Wave source in PCI Vista at the same time for special processes.
I dont know ,maybe they are both updated to Xite in W7.
I am sorry to tell you I dont think so.
Gary knows much more ,I dont really know.
I use my oscilloscop sometimes.
Bear
peksi

Post by peksi »

garyb wrote:again, right click on the speaker icon near the clock. the setting are there.

be sure to have 2 wave source and dest modules(i use 24bit) and connect the source modules to the mixer, so you can tell which provides sound. i belive windows prefers the second set of wave modules. they will be called "Scope XITE-1 speaker" or something similar in the windows 7 settings. i'm not in front of my machine, or i'd give more detailed descriptions, but they DO work, DEFINITELY.
I do not have any clock visible in my desktop since I don't use the Aero desktop or whatever gadget platform that is. Is that the same thing than opening sound prefences from control panel? I can do the following to access the choice you are referring to: control panel - sound - recoding

There i see the view attached in the picture settings.png
When I click Scope XITE-1 - properties - properties - change settings I can see the view in picture xite-properties.png
When I click Sonic core pulsar - properties - properties - change settings I can see the view in picture scope-pci-properties.png

There you can see that I cannot access the settings from XITE drivers. But in the Scope PCI driver I can adjust the number of channels, bit depth etc.

Garyb yes I did add and connect the wave dest ports to the XITE scope project and it is active. For clarification I have been successfully doing this 10 years with my Scope PCI so this is not my first time. But I do have a habit of making silly mistakes...

Thanks for your help so far.
Attachments
Control panel Scope PCI settings
Control panel Scope PCI settings
scope-pci-properties.png (54.04 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Control panel XITE settings
Control panel XITE settings
xite-properties.png (50.38 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Control panel sound recording panel
Control panel sound recording panel
settings.png (76.2 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's on the last screenshot. "recording" is the tab for sound going TO the app from the card.
you need the "playback" tab.

why would you run Aero on a DAW? i'm just curious since Aero eats resources like candy and reduces the work your computer can do for you down to a p4's level. what a waste of a modern processor and all that extra memory...
peksi

Post by peksi »

garyb wrote:it's on the last screenshot. "recording" is the tab for sound going TO the app from the card.
you need the "playback" tab.

why would you run Aero on a DAW? i'm just curious since Aero eats resources like candy and reduces the work your computer can do for you down to a p4's level. what a waste of a modern processor and all that extra memory...
I am trying to record music from scope project with an audio application, not do playback.

I am not running aero. I just thought that desktop clock is a widget associated with Aero.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, i see that, sorry.

i see the XITE's wav dest modules available....it does work here.
peksi

Post by peksi »

I have my suspicions on my dual PCI and XITE scope installation. Soon I will remove the PCI, maybe that will get me onwards.