Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

VeryPSB

Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

Post by VeryPSB »

Hi,

I just upgraded my Windows 7 (x64) to Windows 8 (x64) (RTM). However, I'm unable to install the Scope driver (x64). Has anyone encountered this problem and better yet, solved it?
dante

Re: Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

Post by dante »

Did you run the installer as administrator ?
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

Yes, I did...
Attachments
scope_error.jpg
scope_error.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 9947 times
dante

Post by dante »

Not sure then.

But Im sure its going to become important.

Anyone else ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

windows 8 isn't supported.

what audio app needs windows 8?
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

I'm really getting tired about 'Windows 8 is not supported' comments. Of course Windows 8 isn't supported, but didn't the Sonic Core development team know Windows 8 has been in the works? That it would be released this year? Most of the 'pro' audio applications don't 'support' Windows 8, but preliminary tests reveal there are no problems when running Windows 8.
I can recall the 'Who needs Windows 7' comments a few years ago. I think it's safe to say that Windows 7 is a great platform for audio applications too, despite the "Who needs Windows 7 when we've got Windows XP comments'.
Here's a nice article about the benefits of Windows 8 when used for audio applications: http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-8-a-be ... lications/
I'm shocked that Sonic Core has been caught by surprise by my support request stating that Scope 5.1 doesn't work in Windows 8. This is the end of the line for me, I'm dumping my Pulsar & Elektra DSP boards. I refuse to wait some several years (again) before Sonic Core 'supports' Windows 8.
Last edited by VeryPSB on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

The response I received from Sonic Core support:
"it's not just a matter of a driver. the program must also work. at this time, there is no win8 version. there are also almost no professional audio applications with win8 versions, so this matter won't be addressed until after v6 is finished."
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I know of NO developer/manufacturers that are ready to 'support' an unsupportable, isolationist OS such as Win 8 (especially so-called RT).
NONE, repeat NONE of my developer friends are anywhere NEAR ready to RE-build their applications to run on Win8 after just THIS YEAR catching up with 64-bit and expanded memory handling in Win7.

Microsoft is already hinting at retracting a lot of the Win8 build to accommodate a more easy transition from Win7 to the new build.

The Enterprise side of the industry is PISSED at MS's seeming hijack of it's own OS.

So - GOOD FRIGGIN' luck getting a small handful of engineers at a small company in Germany to jump the gun and build out Scope for an OS that is barely out of the womb.

I say it's a good thing that Scope 6 is the priority at SC since this presumably will be a much more Win8-friendly Scope system than the current configuration.

So many people want to jump on the latest and greatest, unproven, unrefined, untested, buggy mess, and then complain when everybody in the world doesn't ask 'how high?' when Microsoft says jump.

There are at least 3 major DAWs that are just NOW in BETA on 64-bit platforms.
All 3 major CAD systems that I use every day will not even be fully 64-bit until NEXT YEAR.

So people get ready for at LEAST another TWO YEAR transition for most industries to build out for Win8.

In the meantime I'm perfectly happy making music and running Scope 5.1 on both a 32-bit XP and 64-bit Win7 system that has already lasted me 13 years.

G
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

There's only one application/device not working on my Windows 8 (x64) system. That's Scope PCI. I'm guessing it's the Scope PCI driver that's problematic, I expect that the Scope PCI application software would work as it did on Windows 7 if only the driver could be loaded.
I'm not surprised that Scope PCI doesn't work, I'm surprised it's not on the priority list (I'm not talking about supporting Windows 8 RT, that's another story... It even seems Windows RT won't be a good choice for audio applications in the near future.)
I've contacted several other manufacturers about Windows 8 support. Most of the answers I got were something like "... while we don't support Windows 8 now, preliminary testing showed no problems with Windows 8. If Windows 8 has been released to the general public and shows problems it will be on our priority list."
I don't expect everyone to use Windows 8 the moment it has been released, but please stop patronizing users who like to experiment with and use new technology. "No change, no progress"
petal

Post by petal »

I can see why you would want to experiment with a new OS. But getting angry at SC when SCOPE doesn't work on Windows 8, a completely new and still unreleased OS, just indicate that you don't really understand what kind of company SC is.

I've been on the platform for 10 years now, and have learned to just go with the flow and (I agree) slow progress of the software and focus on just having a stable audio system instead of the newest and hottest all the time.

I'm sure that SC are aware of Windows 8 and have been since the first mention of it. If you can't accept how SC prioritize their limited ressources, well, then maybe SonicCore/SCOPE simply isn't the right kind of system for you.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

If having the latest Windoze is that important to you then yes, you should dump your SC cards. Personally I still use XP because for me music is more important than what MS want to try to sell me as the latest improvement. I think the fact that it works with Windows 7 is easily good enough for the majority of people and really shouldn't be any kind of issue for those serious about music over having the latest toy.

Oh, and change doesn't automatically equal progress, it just equals change (Vista anyone?).

Really, this isn't where SC's priorities should be at all (Scope 6 and OSX support should be).
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

I'm not angry, and am sorry if it looked that way. I just wanted to express my disappointment...
And yes, I do think having the latest Windows, which has already been released to MSDN and Volume License clients, is important to me. (or OSX for that matter)
I've been on the Scope platform for a long time too, and have come to the conclusion that it isn't the platform for me (anymore).
I hope Windows 8 (and OSX) support will follow for all Scope users in the not too distant future, I know it will take too long for my liking.
Maybe there are more people trying to get it to work or finding a workaround so Scope users can use the better perfomance of Windows 8 in combination with the versatile Scope platform.
Last edited by VeryPSB on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

No need to be dissapointed.Its not an official version of windows.With some tweaking it might just work.Check driver cert options as there was a change in win8.Its win7 with a optimised interface and some minor changes under the hood its not as drastic as xp to win7.
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

Yes, it IS an official Windows 8 version, it has been released officially on August 15. The retail version will be released on October 26. (Which make my comments, I must admit, look premature)
Thanks for your great suggestion about driver signing options, I will look into that!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

By the way, maybe Win 8 would be as successful as Vista so no urge to spend time on such topic before it is really needed.
Scope 6 should be on top of priority by the way as it would ease OS migration with "only" drivers needed (not really the most easy stuff to deal with though).
And after that, my opinion is that an entry level Scope hardware system is also something to do before looking at Win 8 (if necessary) to help Scope platform spread a bit more.

I still use Win XP on my side as do not need what Win 7 brings (no need for more than 4 GB Ram). I tested Win 7 with the Xite-1 on a small desktop PC but GUI was so slow I came back to using an old good less powerful XP desktop or my Lenovo Laptop with its XpressCard also less powerful but running flawlessly Win XP 32...
I even still have one of my Scope PC running quietly Win 98 SE ... :lol:
petal

Post by petal »

Well, I guess someone has to be the guinea pig and pioneer the use of the platform on windows 8. I guess you are now in charge of that noble task.

Please report back with your findings :)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Well, having worked in the industry for over 30 years now I can understand how I came off patronizing, but it wasn't towards you, but rather towards the stumble fumble onward progression that MS is taking as it tries to transform itself into a more mobile platform.

I'm OFTEN an early adopter, including buying an early unproven Pulsar I with the FIRST drivers and Scope version 1. Gawd how have I managed to hang in this long wi Scope? :lol:

As I mentioned, there IS talk of MS retracting slightly to make the transformation less painful for early adopters, which MAY also mean driver compatibility, as opposed to essentially putting some lipstick on Win7 and calling it radical while also cutting off your nose despite your face. :P

But I stand with SC focusing on Scope 6 (asap), and OSX (which may be a while). Besides, I think Scope6 will essentially be the first true Soniccore Scope system rather than just an upgraded Creamware system :wink: - so we will ALL be early adopters.

Good luck...

G
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

Well, you need to be able to install unsigned drivers, since the Sonic Core drivers aren't signed. This is how you allow unsigned drivers in Windows 8:

"You can permanently enable Test Mode () by opening an Elevated Command Prompt and typing the following commands, then rebooting:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To turn it off again, use these commands:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF"

I've lost my keyfile, just requested a new one. Will let you know if it works, but the driver installs correctly now. :)
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I would'nt be too quick to believe Cakewalk as far as Windows 8 improvements with Audio. They may be a little too close to Microsoft to be fully honest. I know Cakewalk touted the improvements of Vista and how wonderfull of a O/S it was and then the computer-builders got a hold of Vista and did their scientific benchmarks and realized Vista needed to be avoided. Much of the Audio industry did not take Vista seriously. I'm a long time Sonar user and stopped upgrading several years ago due to every new version just having gimmicky and hyped up features to sell, Cakewalk in my eyes are known for 'hypeing things'. Sonar X2 does seem more interesting than the last two previouse version and appears Cakewalk has put a bigger focus on Audio-engine improvements and significant editing/mixing/composing features rather than just more plugins/sample library's/fancy gui/gimmicky features. Lets hope that Cakewalk's Windows 8 claims are'nt similar to their Vista claims far as not being true goes. Time will tell whether the 'on paper' features of X2 are great in 'real life' tho.

Cakewalk may be right this time about Windows 8 improvements but i would'nt believe it until i did my own testing and checked out what http://www.dawbench.com has to say. I know some users had a bad sign with the pre-release version of Windows 8 - they had higher dpc latency.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I use windows xp.
Why upgrade. Everything works. I think it's fair for sc to finish scope 6 before making a windows 8 version.
I wish operating system's would sod off with constantly trying to worm more money out of people.
The true reason your so disappointed is probably because you want scope more than windows 8 but you are sucked into having to have the latest the lizards try to con US into buying.
Sc just seem to do stuff when it's actually needed.