Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Re: Windows 8 x64: Unable to install Scope driver

Post by petal »

I don't know - to me it seems like he is on the right track.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yeah bit of an over reaction from my part.
Good he is testing it out.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I only hope that if the driver signing and any admin. stuff that crops up gets it working at all, that Win 8 THEN will even handle MIDI properly - or allow for low latency.

I just think MS is screwing the pooch at this early per-release stage.

There are Win8 threads on other forums and the reports are not very good (yet).

Either way, at some point Scope 6 will converge on a more mature Win8 at the proper time and we'll get another 10 years of use out of our 24 year old Scope cards :lol:

G
dynamixii

Post by dynamixii »

VeryPSB, thanks for the info I made the jump to win8 last night and must say its beautiful and upon first glance I love it! I'm not getting any weirdness and at the moment haven't applied a single tweak to my bios just a couple in the OS. I have to mention that this community we are in is a small one and yeah the SC company is understaffed but in the right hands its a extremely powerful platform and the synth emulations ioho are second to none. Gary B deserves a massive pat on the back for always attempting to help out. I know He does this on his own time because he like the others in this form believe in Sonic Core. It was def premature to in this case to get upset re win8 because its just now being released. I beta test for several hardware & software companies and none of them are ever sorted upon release date of the 0S upgrades it always takes a few months. Again, I love this community and read a lot more than I post. Thank you ALL!!!

Current System
i5
8gig ddr3
Asus P8Z68-VLX Mobo (no video card required all is onboard)
about to clone my OS drive to a SSD with 6GB transfer rates and then its on!
garyb

Post by garyb »

great! :)
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Well it looks like the benchmarks are here from DAWbench.com regarding Sonar and its Window's 8 performance. Basically Sonar performs EXACTLY the same on Window's 8 as it does on Window's 7, there is no difference when using a simple and very scientific benchmarking method. The benchmarks show no difference despite Cakewalk's claims of improved performance on Windows 8. One of the tell-tales was that Cakewalk used a buffer-size of 1024 samples in their real-world project stated Vin from DAWbench.com (TAFKAT), and we all know the horrors of computers/DAWs are revealed in the Lower-Latencies. Below is a copy of the benchmarks wich show Sonar X1's performance in Windows 7 and 8 compared to Cubase Windows 7 and 8 performance (Sonar has never performed as well as some of the other major DAW's despite Cakewalk claiming other-wise). Here is a link to the thread were TAFKAT posted the results on post number 70, also the OP of that thread has worser performance on Windows 8 compared to 7 (may be driver related since every interface company has not updated yet.), here's link and benchmarks - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... lts-3.html
Attachments
dawbench-2012-win7-8-1.jpg
dawbench-2012-win7-8-1.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Note: The first vertical column of numbers is the buffer-sizes (32/64/128/etc) each column after that represent a different plugin and its instance count at that buffer-size.

I'll probably stay with Windows 7 and skip 8 and won't think about O/S's till 9 or 10 or when i'm forced. I really am glad Sonic Core's main focus is'nt Windows 8 right now cause SCOPE's development is already slow enough relatively-speaking and i don't want them chasing after every new O/S cause Microsoft and Cakewalk says so (to make more money no doubt). I'm a lover of Sonar despite its Audio-Engine flaws and other flaws and will continue loving it for what it has, but i know from past experinces Cakewalk will say anything to sell a product just like Universal Audio and many other companies out here.
wabblewab

Post by wabblewab »

It is possible to install the scope xite driver in windows 8, if you run windows in test mode. I did it and everything works fine.
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

VeryPSB wrote:Well, you need to be able to install unsigned drivers, since the Sonic Core drivers aren't signed. This is how you allow unsigned drivers in Windows 8:

"You can permanently enable Test Mode () by opening an Elevated Command Prompt and typing the following commands, then rebooting:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To turn it off again, use these commands:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF"

I've lost my keyfile, just requested a new one. Will let you know if it works, but the driver installs correctly now. :)
Thanks for posting this. It solved the problem for me, and has been a big help with installing other old drivers.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
braincell

Post by braincell »

It says "access denied."

This blows!
garyb

Post by garyb »

it has been verified more than once. if you enable test mode, the driver will install. the v5.1 driver works 100% with win8. it is just not signed. that process is very expensive, microsoft has made it so. it has nothing to do with how well the driver functions, however.

if you follow the protocol it will work.
kdiamond

Post by kdiamond »

"You can permanently enable Test Mode () by opening an Elevated Command Prompt and typing the following commands, then rebooting:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To turn it off again, use these commands:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF"

It works!!! Thank you very much. Also for the tip how to install other non-signed drivers.

Br,
Dali

----------
dBStudio - Post production studio in Slovenia.
Broadcast services incl. Voice Over, Overdub, ADR, IVR, ISDN and Skype remote workflow, Re-Recording, Sound Supervision, Sound Design & Editorial, Game Audio, Audio Restoration, DVD Audio Mastering, TV and Radio commercial recordings, Corporate presentations. Slovenian and international voice talent bank.
www.dbstudio.si | www.post-production-slovenia.si | www.voiceover-slovenia.si | www.overdub-slovenia.si | www.dbrecordings.com
emotive

Post by emotive »

Interesting this stuff about driver signing.

I guess SC have always made that a priority, not unlike TC and UAD with the latter actually having 64 bit plugins while SC all along actually had the whole setup long before any of the companies on Windows 7.

Progress might seem slow in some respects but when you compare...
braincell

Post by braincell »

I'll try it again. I hate that you can't paste into the CMD. Can't SC make a script that patches this?
kdiamond

Post by kdiamond »

You can. Right click inside CMD and from menu choose paste. Ctrl-v wont work.
garyb

Post by garyb »

why do you need a script when it only takes two minutes to hunt and peck the code into the box and you'll only need to do it once? it's a very minor issue.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Gary,

You have been in business long enough to know that the customer is always right.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:P
braincell

Post by braincell »

@Gary "Import Succeed" ;)

I may finally have SC working as it should after all these years. This MSI mobo is said to have some kind of improved PCI. I tested just the audio in Reaper. Can not figure out midi in that. I am waiting for the Cubase 7 DVD to install because I want to do a clean install of it so that will take a week or two. Meanwhile I will practice. I do play instruments not just tweak knobs like so many people!
emotive

Post by emotive »

braincell wrote:I do play instruments not just tweak knobs like so many people!
+1