48kHz makes Cubase play music faster

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

freddan

Post by freddan »

Hello!

I just got an AD/DA (A8 actually) and connected it to my Pulsar I. No problems there, using A8 as master 48kHz. BUT, when playing back a song in Cubase it plays at a higher speed.

The system setting in Cubase is changed to 48kHz and the Pulsar software obeys the A8. When I change back to 44kHz everything works as normal. Maybe this is a stupid question, I don't now but I'm new to this AD/DA stuff.

/freddan
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

If your music has been recorded at 44.1 kHz, then you should keep playing it at the same sample rate. At 48 kHz it will sound one key higher.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Cubase does play all samples/wavs at the same speed: Pulsar's audio clock.
Pulsar does not support different I/O sample rates. If it's slaved to 48kHz, it's drivers will be at 48kHz too.
As far as I know only the Hammerfall does support different I/O sample rates.

atomic
at0m

Post by at0m »

Try setting your A8 to 44.1kHz instead of 48. I have the same problem here. Over 6GB of 44.1kHz samples, and this Korg Triton only runs at 48kHz. Suxx huh.
The S-5000, Pulsar, Cubase and Reason do have flex sample rates, but Rebirth then again only supports 44.1kHz files for mod creation. But, once the Rewire link Cubase-Reason-Rebirth is established, I can change audio clock to something different than 44.1kHz. Rebirth however, will change in pitch accordingly.

atomic.
freddan

Post by freddan »

This is exactly what's happening, one key higher (probably then) and faster.

But what should I do about it? If I'm using normal 16 bits 44.1 sampled waves in my new songs, will I never be able to use 48kHz?

When I'm playing MP3s with Winamp everything sounds OK. It's just Cubase that's messing.

/freddan
freddan

Post by freddan »

Atomic, I hadn't read your last answer when I posted :smile:

You say that I'm pretty much stuck in 44,1 if I want to use 44,1 samples?

/freddan
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, if the samples are 44.1 that's what you must use unless you reclock them at another sample rate.(cubase should do that, logic will) 44.1 is fine tho- that's what the cd will be at, so everything will be 44.1 sooner or later.........
freddan

Post by freddan »

OK, maybe I could re-clock the samples I use then. Is there and quality loss for doing this?

I guess as you say that you din't win THAT much in quality using 48 instead of 44,1. But if you can it's always nice to record at as high rate as possible, DAT can for example be recorded in 48. AND the A8 always starts up in Master/48 and I'm a little bit lazy :wink:

/freddan
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

<i>Is there and quality loss for doing this? </i>

Absolutely, and unfortunately. I have heard the best conversion is the "high quality" mode in CoolEdit Pro, but honestly if you can avoid SRC (sample rate conversion), then do so at all costs...
freddan

Post by freddan »

I guess I'll stick with 44,1 for now then. Thanks for all input!

/freddan
at0m

Post by at0m »

"""When I'm playing MP3s with Winamp everything sounds OK. It's just Cubase that's messing."""

Winamp and most other *players* have dynamic output frequencies. They auto-adjust incoming and outgoing samplerates.
Cubase really locks onto card's frequency for perfect transmission and sync.

Yer welcome :smile:
freddan

Post by freddan »

OK, that explains it. Streamed some BBC radio yesterday night with Realplayer and that sounded quite fun in 48kHz. No dynamic features there... :smile:

/freddan
MeloManiac

Post by MeloManiac »

It is my experience that converting from 48khz to 44khz simply degrades the quality so much that there is absolutely no reason to use 48khz. So for now I stick to 44khz 24-bit in Cubase, then go to 16-bit for CD.
at0m

Post by at0m »

24 to 16bit conversion

if i have a 24bit project, and I finally master it in Cubase, I get overdriver on the 16bit wav. It's like Cubase is not compensating for less overhead in 16bit compared to 24bit.

Anyone?