Scope 5 problem + 96 Hz problem

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Atomic Marshmallow

Scope 5 problem + 96 Hz problem

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

Hi everyone,

Long time no see. Really busy!!!!!!!!!

I am still on Scope 4.5 (which is not a bad thing - at least it works). Not too long ago I tried for a second time to install Version 5 seeing it was the most recent version and my first attempt failed as this one has. It just won't work. I get an error message saying:

" Hardware version 16 detected. The hardware requires a software update. Consult installation guide" I think it also said "Could not gain access to CW hardware" though not sure anymore. Thankfully I made an Acronis image before installg version 5

I have a key file for Scope 5, but I got that ages ago and maybe that is the problem. I can't imagine why it wouldn't still work.

I also tried to record using 96 Khz in 4.5 but I get an error saying somthing along the lines of the STM cable is not connected, yet all my cards are recognised in terms of how many DSP are available.

Can anyone please shed some light on what may be wrong?

By the way, I use a Pentium PIV 3.00 Ghz ASUS P4P800 deluxe, XP SP 3. Yes an update is due and that will be a topic in another thread, in the tech talk section.

Thanks

AM
siriusbliss

Re: Scope 5 problem + 96 Hz problem

Post by siriusbliss »

First try renaming your V4.5 folder and THEN nstall V5.x in a SEPARATE folder.
Do not bother trying to overwrite the old folder.

I don't know what to say about the 96K issue.

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

the "hardware version 16" message is v4 trying to load at startup. as Greg says, you should rename the v4 folder or take it off the machine. it will make trouble otherwise, especially if you try to open an old project.

most likely, the stdm connection message could be because you've exceeded the resource limits, you have an intermittantly bad cable, the card's contacts are dirty, or a card is beginning to have a problem.
astroman

Post by astroman »

additional hint: there may be 2 Scope drivers 'active' (at least from the Windoze point of view)
Asio Scope (the old one) and Asio Scope PCI (the version 5 one)
I had to direct all Asio hosts to the latter one manually (probably didn't uninstall).

cheers, Tom
Atomic Marshmallow

garyb wrote:the "hardware version 16" message is v4 trying to load at startup. as Greg says, you should rename the v4 folder or take it off the machine. it will make trouble otherwise, especially if you try to open an old project.

most likely, the stdm connection message could be because you've exceeded the resource limits, you have an intermittantly bad cable, the card's contacts are dirty, or a card is beginning to have a problem.

AArgh!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!

Thanks Siriusbliss, Garyb and Astroman for your quick responses. Fantastic to see you are all still here imparting your valuable knowledge!!!

I hope you are wrong about a card starting to have a problem. But let me say, from memory, I think it was the same message the first time I tried, which was more than a year ago (maybe two) and everything has worked fine with 4.5 without any issues except the 96 Khz thing. I just want 96 Khz for better latency. If I remember correctly, in my first attempt, I am pretty sure I deleted version 4.5 before installing version 5. I can't say with 100% accuracy, as it was a while ago. I suppose I'll just have to try your suggestions to be sure.

I should also add that the PC I use has always been problematic, though things got a lot better, thanks to this forum, when faulty RAM was discovered to be the culprit.

On the other hand, it is time for a PC upgrade, so I may hang on a bit and continue music making on 4.5. But I have an Acronis image to fall back on, so I will try again.

Thanks guys.

PS. Do you think my version 5 key file which I got a long time ago is still ok?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, but a v5 file won't work with v5.1....

v5.1 will cost money, but it's only needed for 64bit operation. if you have v5 and are using a 32bit os, it's the same...
dante

Post by dante »

Your keys should be ok for 5.0, and if not you can easily get new ones. Once sorted, you should be able to run 96K but you will only be able to run half the plugins, and if you're using a host DAW(s) with it, they will only be able to run half the stuff as well coz your native CPU will be double taxed. I'd advise if theres problems, to start of with empty projects (both Scope and Native) and add one thing a time till you hit limit. Some things may not work at all at 96K ( eg Scope Dynatube ).
Strattosphere

Post by Strattosphere »

I get the Hardware 16 message if the Scope cards are not installed in Device Manager or I've got the wrong driver installed for the version of the Scope software I'm trying to run.

If I need to switch between different drivers I use Device Manager to uninstall the Scope cards then manually delete all files relevant to the currently installed Scope drivers. That includes whichever OEM .INF file contains the Scope driver information. This file is located in the windows\inf folder on your system drive. Open the OEM inf files one by one in Notepad until you find the one that refers to the Scope hardware. I delete that file along with any Scope files I find in the windows\system32 or windows\system32\drivers folders and use Device Manager to detect hardware changes to redetect any Scope cards. Device Manager then displays the Scope cards as anonymous Multimedia cards. Then I just install the Scope software and the correct drivers are installed.

Regards

Stratt
Atomic Marshmallow

Thanks for the tip Strattospere. I'll give it a try. It seems the other responses I got point that it could be driver related.

I will wait a bit before trying version 5 of Scope for the time being as I want to create music without interruptions or hassles. I will try again when the creative juices stop flowing.