monitoring in stm 2448

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Malascope

monitoring in stm 2448

Post by Malascope »

This is probably a stupid question but I'm having difficulty with monitoring in the STM 2448 desk.

I have connected my analogue destination to the control room outs. I have run the mix out back through a channel input, disabling the mix buton so it doesn't feed back. On that channel I have enabled the monitor button & turned up the monitor send fader. In the control room section of the master screen I am enabling the monitor button. Shouldn't I be able to hear the mix?

I am doing this so that when monitoring an analogue input for recording purposes it's easy to adjust the analogue input/mix balance.

If anyone has the patience to point out what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

Regards
garyb

Re: monitoring in stm 2448

Post by garyb »

you should not disable the mix, that is a good thing to monitor. use the recording busses or the direct outs to send signal to your recorder. the monitor would work if something were connected to the monitor outs, but i would save that mix bus(the monitor bus) for headphones for the performer(s).
Malascope

Post by Malascope »

Hey thanks for taking the time to answer Gary.

Yes I'm using the recording busses for the record signal.

I guess my question was why don't I hear the monitor buss when I enable the monitor button in the control room section of the desk? I would have thought it doesn't rely on having anything connected to the monitor outs in the same way that listening to the mix doesn't rely on anything being connected to the mix outs.

Regards
garyb

Post by garyb »

...because you need something connected to the monitor outputs for the monitor bus to work.
Malascope

Post by Malascope »

Thanks again Gary. And of course you're right.

I fed the monitor outputs into a compressor (which contributes nothing other than to get the monitor bus working) &, hey presto, suddenly I can listen to the bus, which, as has been noted elsewhere on these forums, has the panning reversed.

I hope at some point both these issues will be fixed. I realise they are just niggling issues but I can't help it - they DO niggle.

But havinng said that, Gary, I really appreciate that you & many others on this forum are so unselfishly helpful.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
wayne

Post by wayne »

I don't see these "bugs" - monitor pan is as it should be here. Monitor outs straight to a hardware destination works fine too - I don't see what a compressor has to do with this.